“Great Location, nice budget hotel located in San Francisco”
Review of Van Ness Inn Hotel

Van Ness Inn Hotel
Ranked #182 of 228 Hotels in San Francisco
San Francisco, California, United States
“Great Location, nice budget hotel located in San Francisco”
Reviewed July 20, 2014

I was looking for a place to stay in San Francisco and i came across the Americas Best Inn San Francisco. The price was reasonable for a San Francisco Hotel. The location is great, close to fishermans wharf, a short bus ride to downtown and all the scenic stops. The rooms were clean and I felt safe there. I recommend this hotel.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (22)
New Haven, Connecticut
Reviewed July 11, 2014 via mobile

This place is totally overpriced... And they say by Fishermans wharf - not even close! The Comfort inn across the street is the same price I should have stayed there.. The breakfast is a joke - coffee dispenser and a croissant .. Room amenities include a tiny bar if soap and a tiny tear- package of toothpaste .. Parking lot is filled with old mattresses, you have to park tandem and you have to leave your car key at the desk ... One decent thing I can say is the room is clean .. This would be a decent value for less then half the price
Stay somewhere else -PLEASE
I rated this a 1 because you can't leave unrated but it deserves a 0

Stayed July 2014
1 Thank JJFlash7

Travelers are raving about these San Francisco hotels

Richmond. Surrey
Reviewed July 5, 2014 via mobile

The room was average but clean. The breakfast was a joke. Stale croissant and cold coffee only. No choice at all.The location was OK for fisherman's wharf and bus routes and we felt quite safe walking around after dark, but the hotel itself was pretty grim. I would only stay there again if I was very desperate. I would prefer to go elsewhere.

• Stayed June 2014
1 Thank DeanaRichmond
Reviewed July 3, 2014

From the pictures that I saw on the web, this looked like a great place to stay and even though it was not all bad, the hotel is in desperate need of an update (and they already have plans to do so). One extremely negative is that the hotel does not have "at-least" one parking space for each guest room (First come, first serve), so once the spaces are taken you need to park at a public parking area and pay. The location was really good, close to nice restaurants and other amenities. If you enjoy walking then Fisherman's Wharf is not to far away. The hotel offers a complimentary breakfast that is not even worth trying, I preferred an I-hop that's right across the hotel. I would not stay at this hotel again.

Room Tip: There are non. Would not recommend this place for couples are a family. If you are solo traveler a...
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
West Cork, Ireland
Reviewed July 3, 2014

We booked this truly appalling motel at the last minute, on the last day of our trip to California. That was a lesson well learnt, I will NEVER leave booking anywhere to the last minute again. The parking was not ideal, but to be fair, I can understand that they only had a certain amount of space and to accommodate all the vehicles, some had to park behind others. However, there is no excuse for the rest of the problems that we encountered. First of all the room is quite dark, with some of the drapes falling down, the beds were terrible, I could feel every spring, the vanity unit is located in the bedroom, not the bathroom and has a censor light, that goes off, even when everyone is in bed. That came on 5 times during the night and woke everyone. Actually, I should not say everyone, as one of our party of 4 got no sleep at all. The bathroom had an odious smell of urine. After we had booked in, we went down to the receptionist and complained. She said it could not be urine, but couldn't actually tell me what it was. The soap dish on the side of the bath, was caked in grime. The breakfast, if you call a stale doughnut, coffee in a thermos flask (tepid) all served in the reception area, which was about 8 feet square, with people checking out and nowhere to sit, a breakfast, was poor.. There was a terrible smell of urine in the stairwells too. On the day that we checked out, we went to reception to complain, we were annoyed, but very civil, however the receptionist was surly and decidedly uncivil. We got no apology and no offer of a discount. I am not sure if this establishment is part of a chain, but if it is, this young woman is no ambassador for it. The cost of this was $357. Even though this dump is only a couple of blocks from Fisherman's Wharf, the location does not make up for the state of it and should be avoided at all cost.

Room Tip: Don't stay there
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled with friends
1 Thank minnihandbag
Spring Creek, Nevada
Reviewed June 28, 2014

This was by far our worst hotel we stayed in during our vacation in California! After reading others reviews, and seeing they experienced bed bugs, I now know where all the bumps on my son came from! The parking was terrible! You had to leave your keys at the desk if you parked in front of somebody, since you had to double park. I wouldn't recommend this hotel to anybody! Not even my worst enemy! The rooms were gross!

• Stayed June 2014, traveled with family
1 Thank April M
Reviewed June 14, 2014

Unbelievably rude staff (Michael) I was yelled at and told if I did not like the hotel or have any problems we do not care and you can leave! terrible overall experience, and BTW Don't use Booking.com either they will be of no help and clearly don't car what hotels they partner with.

• Stayed June 2014