“Great location, horrible nights sleep”
Review of Van Ness Inn Hotel

Van Ness Inn Hotel
Ranked #187 of 231 Hotels in San Francisco
Reviewed December 31, 2011

As I write this I am sitting on the most uncomfortable bed. My head is pounding from the lack of sleep my husband and I got last night. Springs from the mattress were poking me all night, pillows were as hard as rocks and there is the most annoying knocking sound coming from inside the walls. All night! We are going to ask to change rooms and hope that helps. If not we are leaving and finding a room elsewhere!
Another thing, walls are paper thin. Could hear a drunk girl in the next room over singing at 4:00am. Awful night.
I need a nap.

• Stayed: December 2011
4  Thank Dkitty78

Reviewed December 16, 2011

I stayed here before, am there now, and would stay again. I read the other negative reviews, but don't let them discourage you. San Francisco is an EXPENSIVE place for lodgings, running about twice the price that you'd pay in some other American tourist destinations, for comparable lodgings, even in California.

The outside looks shabby, but the rooms are OK for the price, relative to SF standards. Clean and adequate, nothing fancy. You don't get "breakfast," just to-go coffee and a bread roll. If hungry, there's a full-menu breakfast place across the street. Good neighborhood for an old motel, much better than what you'd get for anywhere near this price at those places near Union Square. Face it, in SF if you want more, you have to pay more.

Has WiFi (usually works) and crowded parking. On major bus routes that will get you nearly anywhere a tourist wants to go. Moderately long but do-able walk to some places of interest to tourists. Three blocks away from fine views. Reasonably quiet at night, because the major traffic is daytime in this vicinity, and no honky-tonk bars nearby. Room has heat and AC (Imagine that, in SF) as well as mini-fridge and microwave.

Not my first choice, because I can afford a bit more. But if my first choice is booked, or has raised its rates, then I'll come back to this one again. Summary: Not deluxe, but not a dump.

• Stayed: December 2011, traveled solo
2  Thank Nearby Y
Reviewed October 3, 2011

If you are completely desperate & can not find a place to stay, avoid this place at all cost's, having arrived in San-Francisco in the middle of a convention no rooms available anywhere we had to take a room in this dump !!! very small room, room filthy, carpet disgusting, bed broken, bed-side lights broken & filthy, we booked 2 nights & could only manage the one night & had to leave as it was so dismal only to find out the management charged us for the second night anyway.THIS PLACE IS THE BIGGEST DUMP I HAVE EVER STAYED IN SINCE VISITING THE U.S. IN ALMOST THIRTY YEARS.THEY ARE COMPLETE RIP OFF ARTIST'S

Room Tip: No such thing in this Dump all Rooms are a Disaster Area
  • Stayed: September 2011, traveled as a couple
2  Thank GED450
Reviewed September 1, 2011

I would have to say that the property has not been cleaned in years. Disgustingly dirty inside and out. You can be old and still be nice. Piles of old carpet and garbage, rooms smell aweful, threw the blankets in the corner the room smelled like pee. The internet didn't work, iron broke and did i say the room smelled aweful? Had to stay because the city was booked but would suggest a rating of zero. The front desk could care less because they run your card through for the purchase before you get to see the prize! I had to wait behind three couples to complain. No breakfast, no coffee and the guy out front smoking a butt seemed to be running the dump. 20 minute walk to any place nice.
I have traveled weekly since 95 and next time will stay at a shelter instead.

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled on business
1  Thank David K
Reviewed August 19, 2011

my boyfriend and i stayed here on a whim... we had a coupon for an $89 night, but of course, when we got there, they had "run out of rooms at that rate." we ended up paying $150 including taxes,etc.

what a rip off. the bathroom smelled like mold, there were holes in the sheets and bedspreads, the fridge was broken, and the door lock was broken. the light in the sink area was burnt out, too. not to mention the bed was uncomfortable. it was dingy and dirty and downright disgusting.

now, had we paid $60 for the room, i woud have understood and said we got what we paid for. but $150??? completely overpriced. we left as very unsatisfied customers.

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank tiffany t
Reviewed August 11, 2011

The room needed updating: it was dark and miserable but it was clean. Advantages: microwave and freezer as well as the usual hairdryer, iron and ironing board. It is very conveniently located, easy to find in the car and the free parking was a bonus for us as well. It's easy walking distance to lots of quieter places with restaurants as well as the tourist trail along Fisherman's Wharf and there is a good, clean launderette very close by. The staff were friendly and helpful.

Room Tip: Take a top floor room.
  • Stayed: July 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed June 17, 2011

I think this must be the worst hotel room I've had. The room was dirty. The bathroom reeked of urine and there were drips of it around the toilet. There were little hairs all over the toilet, sink, shower, and bed area. Nothing in the room had actually been wiped down or cleaned - the linens were changed and that's it. The bed was uncomfortable, as well as dirty enough that for the first time ever in a hotel room I actually considered getting my sleeping bag out of my car and sleeping in that on top of the mattress. They claim to have free parking, but there are not enough spaces for all the rooms, and good luck finding other parking.

The neighborhood itself is pretty cool though. If you do end up staying here, the Home Plate restaurant a block away has awesome breakfast.

• Stayed: June 2011, traveled as a couple