“Excellent restaurant!”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of Hillstone

Hillstone
Ranked #83 of 5,645 Restaurants in San Francisco
Cuisines: American, Bar
Good for: Business meetings, Large groups, Families with children, Bar scene, Local cuisine, Special occasions, Romantic
Dining options: Brunch, Lunch, Dinner, Late Night, Accepts American Express, Accepts Mastercard, Accepts Visa, Full Bar, Outdoor Seating, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Television, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Neighborhood: North Beach / Telegraph Hill
Bangor, ME
“Excellent restaurant!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 14, 2013

I ate here recently with two family members. The restaurant had a varied menu with excellent food. We got two appetizers, featuring artichoke and smoked salmon respectively, and three entrees: trout, ahi tuna, and a truly huge and delicious pork chop. The restaurant was crowded and a bit noisy, but not more noisy (and in fact somewhat less noisy) than would be expected in a crowded venue. When we arrived, we were told our wait would be 10-15 minutes, but we were not seated until after about 20-25 minutes. This was probably no surprise, but we were wonderfully surprised when we were told that our appetizers would be complimentary because we had to wait later than we had been told. So that saved us about $25. The restaurant didn't have to do this, and they certainly gained repeat customers from this very generous gesture.

• Visited March 2013

• Polish first
San Francisco, California
“Beyond expectations!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 12, 2013

I am not quite sure what review should I give to this restaurant.
The best words are, for example, orgasmic/ excellent/ awesome/ splendid/ tasteful/ and all that jazz.

I had an unplanned dinner here, and it blew my mind! I thanks my friend to consistently find places like this to dine in! The place is huge and great for any occasions. They have fireplace outside should you want to have some drinks under the stars. The bar inside is also great. It's a oval bar with high stools. The lighting is very warm and make you feel cozy.

The food is awesome too. I had Ahi Tuna, something, and it was not a bad choice at all.
What i like best about this place is they have booth tables. So cool.The staff are nice and very professional. the view is the Pier 29, i might be wrong with number, and the Embarcadero is just close by. I doubt the place would as pleasant at lunch, but the dim light at night is definitely more suitable.

Definitely a place for dinner. :)

• Visited March 2013
Pasadena, California, United States
“Consistently excellent food and service”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 2, 2013 via mobile

First time here since November. Had the vegetable plate with : braised red cabbage , Brussels sprouts, root vegetables. , cauliflower , barley salad, and we felt we could splurge with a side of fries.

San Francisco, California
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Amazing Restaurant!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 2, 2013

Hillstone (previously named Houston's) is an amazing restaurant. Whether you sit at the bar or at a table, the service is fantastic. Food is wonderful (the only thing I miss is being able to get a fish sandwich at dinner time - it is available at lunch). The cocktails are AMAZING and the wine list is great (you can even bring 2 bottles per table of wine for no corkage). I had to add that they have the best hot fudge sunday I have ever eaten!!

• Visited January 2013
Benicia
“Excellent Stop for Lunch”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 29, 2013

My family decided to try Hillstone for lunch recently and we were not disappointed. It was our first visit and we now have another great place to go for lunch in San Francisco. The grilled artichoks is a must try along with the smoked salmon. The smoked salmon was an appetitizer but the portion was large enough to have as a main course. My mother had the trout and it was the best trout I've ever had. I'm usually not a big fan on trout in any restaurant menu. My son really enjoyed his French Dip sandwich and my steak was cooked to perfection. The service was friendly and efficient. Overall a very nice experience. Will definitely return again.

• Visited January 2013