Review of Avital Food Tours

Avital Food Tours
Book In Advance
More Info
and up
North Beach Culinary Experience with Alcohol...
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 2-3 hours
Owner description: As seen on The Travel Channel, our walking food tours take guests on a unique food experience behind-the-scenes in the San Francisco Culinary World to meet chefs, restaurant owners and industry experts. You'll eat your way through the authentic local hotspots, while learning about the neighborhood history - The Mission District's murals, North Beach's Barbary Coast Trail and hidden tunnels, and Union Square's cocktail center. Bring your appetite!
Useful Information: Food available for purchase
Reviewed January 27, 2014

If you want to learn about the old time spirits and how things were done to make great cocktails, this is the tour you want to take! Zev is THE BEST guide & super energetic and knowledgeable and will take you to what I now know as GREAT PLACES FOR COCKTAILS IN SAN FRANCISCO! I will definitely go back to these places which I now consider as SECRET GEMS! Fun, fun, fun and worth the $ gang, please take this tour!!!!!! Thank you Zev from the SANTIAGO GROUP! Aloha,
Ernie & Kathy!

"mission tour"
in 43 reviews
"bi rite creamery"
in 25 reviews
"salted caramel ice cream"
in 22 reviews
"walking food tour"
in 13 reviews
"cheese shop"
in 8 reviews
"highly recommend this tour"
in 34 reviews
in 10 reviews
"three hours"
in 14 reviews

Reviewed January 24, 2014

My Friends came up from Southern California for the long weekend, and I decided to take them on a food tour in San Francisco. We have done food tours together in Tuscany, Paris, and New York. But not here in my own backyard. Friends of mine in the hospitality business recommended Avital. And we were certainly not disappointed. Melissa, our tour guide, was enthusiastic, so very knowledgeable, and passionate about North Beach and its rich Barbary Coast history. We learned quite a bit about San Francisco during the Gold Rush days. Went underneath what is today an art supply store, and saw one of the tunnels that was used to bring in bootleg liquor during Prohibition. Melissa was able to paint a colorful picture of what North Beach was like in those days. It was wonderful.

And the food and wine was just as rich. Went to Barrique and had wine that can only be bought there by the barrel! The type of wine we had was Carrignane (sp?) and paired with a delicious cheese. Went to Tommaso's for world famous pizza and their private label wine. They have the oldest pizza oven on the West Coast, 135 years old, excellent. Mercato for yummy local balsamic vinegars and oils. Stella's for cannolis and bought cookies, pastries and cakes. Also went to Pena Pachamama, which is actually Bolivian. I believe it used to be Enrico's, and it is where Marilyn Monroe and Joe DiMaggio came to celebrate their marriage that day at City Hall. Then they went around the corner to St Peter and St Paul's to have their wedding photos taken.

I highly recommend this tour and Melissa. We learned more about the history and the neighborhood. There was 10 of us total on the tour, 6 (including me) were in my party and 4 others. 2 of the ppl actually lived in North Beach, and they learned some new things as well. I work in San Francisco and have for 29 years. I went to places I had never been to before. Now we want to sign up for the Mission District Tour. Great job, Avital Tours!

Reviewed January 22, 2014

My husband and I have lived in the Bay Area for 18 years and thought we knew everything about the San Francisco food scene, but we were amazed with all the knowledge Zev had to share with us on the Avital Mission district food tour. It is definitely worth checking out if you are a local or out of town! The food and drinks were delicious and all the restaurant and grocery store personnel were very friendly and made the experience really fun! We would highly recommend it!

Reviewed January 21, 2014 via mobile

I lov food, I love to travel... this tour is a must. My first time in SF and we had so much fun with Zev (tour guide).

See more reviews
Reviewed January 19, 2014

My partner and I went on the Avital tour of the Mission District in December.

Our guide, Corrine (sorry if I spelt it wrong) was fantastic and a very intersting person. We learnt about her goat and her travels to Eastern Europe to study folk music.

Avital herself was also on the tour - she is so lovely and great fun to be around.

On the tour we visited a number of places I normally wouldn't have thought to stop at. One being a ham and oyster bar. We also tasted empanadas, fresh cheeses, craft beer, ice cream and samples from the Bi-Rite market.

Along with generous tastes/samples, we learnt a lot about the Mission District generally which was very interesting and added to the tour greatly.

I'd highly recommend Avital's tours to anyone visitng San Fran who love their food and drink and are looking for an alternative way to sightsee.