“5 Star Experience”

$142.00*
North Beach Culinary Experience and Alcatraz Tour
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 2-3 hours
Owner description: As seen on The Travel Channel, our walking food tours take guests on a unique food experience behind-the-scenes in the San Francisco Culinary World to meet chefs, restaurant owners and industry experts. You'll eat your way through the authentic local hotspots, while learning about the neighborhood history - The Mission District's murals, North Beach's Barbary Coast Trail and hidden tunnels, and Union Square's cocktail center. Bring your appetite!
Useful Information: Food available for purchase
Reviewed February 19, 2013

Experience experience experience. Avital Tours knocked it out of the park with stellar restaurants choices, fun history of the neighborhood, and a really great group of people to share the experience with. Our guide, founder Avital Ungar was warm and welcoming creating an extremely unique experience for us in our own city!!! I can't say enough great things about Avital Tours and definitely recommend this for dates, tourists, and/or an evening out with friends.

Reviewed February 19, 2013

My friends and I thoroughly enjoyed our walking tour through North Beach with Avital! It was a fun and unique way to learn some interesting facts while tasting some great food and wine! Everything exceeded our expectations - Avital was very accomodating with the scheduling, her knowledge of the city was clearly evident and her great personality shone as she gave us an insider tour of several restaurants. I can't wait to sign up for another tour and introduce more friends to Avital Tours!

1  Thank Karen L
Reviewed February 18, 2013

It was fun to play tourist and check out some of the bars I might not have normally visited while on the Union Square Cocktail Tour. Avital led us to three mixology bars, where we met skilled and dedicated bartenders who shared a bit of history about the bars themselves and about the cocktails we had. Avital also gave some history and background of San Francisco, Union Square, and the growth of the cocktail in the city. We had a delicious drink at each of the three bars, including one classic cocktail, one original (created by the bartender) cocktail, and one that was distinct to San Francisco pre-prohibition and revived by the owner/bartender. At each spot, we were VIPs and had a table reserved just for us, with tasty treats to eat at two of the places.

This two-hour tour was nicely timed, casual, and fun. We had a good mix of locals and visitors to the city, as well as a range of ages. Heck, we even had one person who doesn't drink alcohol, and she had a good time! It was a fun way to spend part of an afternoon, and we left with great restaurant suggestions for afterward! I would highly recommend the Cocktail Tour, and I look forward to checking out other hidden gems on the tours of the Mission District and North Beach.

Reviewed February 18, 2013

My wife and I love walking food tours when we travel. We've done North Beach, the Ferry Building and Chocolate tours of SF before, so this time we wanted to explore the Mission District. Avital is knowledgeable as well as energetic and fun-promoting. We visited places that represented the cross-section of this unique neighborhood and found that the owners and managers of the establishments we visited were eager to show off what they do to promote good food for the community. We enjoyed ourselves so much, we signed up for Avital's cocktail tour later that afternoon. Again, the tour brought to visit some of the guiding forces behind SF's cocktail scene renaissance as well as sampling their creations and food pairings.

There can be no better way to learn the past and present story of SF food and drink.

Reviewed February 17, 2013

I have lived in the San Francisco Bay Area for over a decade. San Francisco is a gastronomically sophisticated city, so there is a lot of peer influence to be educated about the go-to places for food and drink.

Avital Tours facilitated my interest to become more educated and knowledgeable about those must-try places. My food and alcohol allergies didn't seem like an inconvenience to the very accommodating and creative hosts. Perhaps it presented itself as a worthwhile challenge?

Whether you are a SF resident or visitor, a Avital (walking) Food Tour is a great city expedition!