“Great Saturday morning in the Mission”
Review of Avital Food Tours

$72.00*
VIP Happy Hour Tour of Union Square
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 2-3 hours
Owner description: As seen on The Travel Channel, our walking food tours take guests on a unique food experience behind-the-scenes in the San Francisco Culinary World to meet chefs, restaurant owners and industry experts. You'll eat your way through the authentic local hotspots, while learning about the neighborhood history - The Mission District's murals, North Beach's Barbary Coast Trail and hidden tunnels, and Union Square's cocktail center. Bring your appetite!
Useful Information: Food available for purchase
San Francisco, California
“Great Saturday morning in the Mission”
Reviewed May 26, 2012

The Avital Eats tour in the Mission was a fantastic time! It had an eclectic mix of food and drink, ranging from California coast oysters, to Ethiopian coffee, to Italian cheeses. On the tour, all the restaurant owners come and speak about their craft and bit of their history, while delighting with samples of their finest. Avital knows the Mission district well, and fills the segues between restaurants with tours of the street art around the area. One of the best parts of the tour is going to all these great, popular places and getting your own personal service while everyone waits in line (he he :). It was a great sunny Saturday morning in the Mission.

Visited January 2012

• Chinese (Traditional) first
Minneapolis, Minnesota
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 15 helpful votes
“Great Walking Food Tour in SF”
Reviewed May 4, 2012

Last night was my second food tour with Avital Tours. I waited to see what my 2nd tour was like before posting a review, but now I'm certain that Avital Tours deserve a rave!

The great part about this food tour company is that during the tour you have inside access to owners and experts in the field. Not only do you get delicious bites of food with amazing alcohol pairings, but the chefs and mixologists and owners of the places that you go come and talk to you about where they source their ingredients, what their inspirations are and how they came up with the dish. As a fan of food, cooking shows and chef groupie - I love this stuff. It adds that extra special something to a fun evening of exploring new locations in a part of San Francisco that at times can feel a bit intimating.

I was lucky enough to have Avital (the company owner) lead both of my tours so I can only speak about her and not other Tour Guides. She had great energy and passion for food and it was contagious. She was knowledgeable, interesting and told us just enough....unlike some tour guides who just won't stop talking. Her fun personality and love of the Mission food scene made this tour a great way to spend an evening with my husband. As an added bonus, Avital Tours takes past some of the Mission's most famous and beautiful murals as you walk between stops - and you have the opportunity to learn a bit about Art too.

The type of people that go on the tour were interesting and fun and totally normal. I enjoyed mingling and chatting with the other guests on our tour and I think the feeling was mutual. Perfect for couples in search of a great date night, groups of friends, tourists look to get off the beaten path while in SF or a new activity to do with your parents or our of town visitors.

Visited March 2012
San Francisco
“Avital Tours - great for locals or out of towners!”
Reviewed May 3, 2012

I went on an Avital Tour a few weeks ago with friends from out of town. Avital was very knowledgeable about the local food scene and the Mission neighborhood. Her enthusiasm reflected her genuine love of food and proved to be very contagious as I've already been back to a few of the spots on my own.

At each stop you get to meet the owners and are given a tasting of the must have food or drink item. By the end of the 6 stops you're delighted from speaking to all the owners and stuffed like a turkey on Thanksgiving day. I've been living in the city for 4 years now but somehow I have never found these local gems on my own. With Avital's guidance I've had the pleasure to try the most unusual coffee I've ever tasted, surprisingly good American cheese, and finger licking good empanadas. Avital Tours is a great way to explore a neighborhood you're already familiar with or an awesome idea to entertain guests and out of towners.

Visited October 2011
Menlo Park, California
5 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 27 helpful votes
“The best way to see real life at its best!”
Reviewed February 4, 2012

When I visit other cities I like to see not just the tourist attractions, but neighborhoods where "real people"-- i.e, locals who are not over-the-top wealthy-- live, work, eat and play. I've sought out these scenes in many of the world's major cities, sometimes with a guide. But I've never had a more enjoyable or rewarding neighborhood exploration then walking around San Francisco's Mission District for a few hours with Avital leading the way. And the odd thing about this is that I've lived in the San Francisco Bay Area all of my adult life, and thought I knew The City (as we suburbanites call it) fairly well.

But Avital took our little group to places I was unfamiliar with, or that had changed dramatically since I last was there. For example, I hadn't realized how rich the Mission's collection of murals had become over the past several years. And I didn't know that the owner of the Hog and Rocks-- which specializes in ham and oysters, both of which are strictly non-kosher-- happens to be Jewish and has an agreement with his rabbi that it's OK for him to own and run this business.

Other reviewers have posted deservedly glowing comments about the food and about Avital's infectious enthusiasm for the Mission District, its history and its food. I couldn't agree more with these comments, and will add that Avital's Food Tours is also the way to see real people enjoying the best of what one of San Francisco's most interesting neighborhoods has to offer.

Visited February 2012
Oakland, California, United States
“If you're looking for the real flavor of this city...”
Reviewed January 29, 2012

...this is where you can find it! I had an absolutely incredible experience with Avital Tours... It was probably the highlight of my year so far.

What makes this experience so exceptional is that it really allows you to feel the pulse of the mission, which is by far the most vibrant, interesting spot in the city. Avital, the tour guide/owner of Avital tours, really gets what makes the mission so great, and she showcases her knowledge by introducing you to amazing art and food. The tour is a perfect mix of classic and cutting edge--on the tour, you get to visit some of the missions most iconic spots (both art and food) while also showcasing some of the more cutting-edge eateries (ham and oysters, anyone?)

And just for the record, this is not the kind of food tour where you get a bunch of tiny samples and then have to go out for a meal afterwards. The food is delicious, and there's plenty of it. With the combination of a full meal, a full day's entertainment, and an art tour, I actually felt like I had gotten a pretty good deal.

I grew up in the bay area, but have never been that familiar with San Francisco, because I had never lived in the city itself. But after taking this tour, I feel like San Francisco is my city. Now, finally, I have insider knowledge about the best places to go. Just a few weeks ago, I was apartment hunting with a friend from Oakland (who is planning to move to SF) in the Mission and I took her to not one but two of the places I had learned about on the tour. She was delighted by both, and really impressed with my knowledge of the good spots in the mission. It was the first time in my 26 years in the bay area that I had been able to impress someone with my knowledge of SF! :)

Visited January 2012