“Excellent Experience at Banya”
Review of Archimedes Banya

Archimedes Banya
More attraction details
Owner description: We have created a state-of-the-art banya in which we offer services and a place to revitalize bodies and relax minds. It is a place to meet with old friends, make new ones, or have a quite time just for you refreshing and energizing yourself. Archimedes Banya is a remarkable blend of 'past and present', where ancient traditions of Greek laconica, Turkish hammam, German thermen, Russian banya, etc combine with science and technology to create an experience like no other. Detoxing in perfect heat rooms, plunging in an ice-cold pool, enjoying a breathtaking view on a sun-lit deck, conversing over a delicious meal - you can have it all in a quintessentially San Francisco style. And yet there is more. Famous venik platza, a rich pallet of massages, scrubs, wraps, herbal and mineral baths will help you leave behind the worries of your day and explore new sources of energy.
Walnut Creek, California
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 15 helpful votes
“Excellent Experience at Banya”
Reviewed July 9, 2013

I absolutely love Banya for its cleansing experience. The facility is wonderful. There are two Russian-type saunas with semi-dry steam, one Finnish sauna with dry steam and a Turkish steam room. The level of cleanliness is superb. The staff are friendly, and supportive of every need of a customer. There is a bar where one can get a bite to eat, and quench thirst after spending hours in different saunas. I highly recommend it to all international sauna-lovers and sauna-goers. Enjoy! Cheers!

Visited July 2013
4 Thank Michael B

San Francisco, California
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 17 helpful votes
“Great addition to San Francisco”
Reviewed January 20, 2012

I've enjoyed going to Harbin Hot Springs for years. But sometimes I don't have the time or energy to make the two-hour drive and I wished that there was some place similar in San Francisco. This place fits that bill! It not only has an authentic Russian banya, Finnish sauna, Turkish hamman, Japanese onsen and other pools and plunges, but also it features a clothing-optional rooftop sun deck with incredible views of the bay and the San Francisco skyline.

It is obvious that there was a lot of investment in this place. All the fixtures appear to be state-of-the-art, and the stonework and murals are absolutely gorgeous. The lockers open electronically with your wristband, although I found that I had to wave the wristband just right to get the locker to open.

One thing different from Harbin is that Archimedes Banya features a restaurant serving beer and wine. It was nice to relax on the sun deck with a glass of draft beer. I didn't try any food, and the menu seems heavy on Russian specialties. Perhaps a light American addition such as a turkey sandwich or a BLT would be a good idea.

Archimedes Banya offers a variety of massages and other treatments. I received a venik platza treatment, which I enjoyed. This treatment, a staple at Russian banyas, involves being gently whacked with birch leaves by the platza master while laying down high up in the banya room.

The facility includes clothing-optional and clothing-required areas, and there are daytime single-sex hours. I would urge Harbin fans looking for a place closer to home to check out Archimedes Banya.

Visited January 2012
12 Thank ChrisC41
Pacific Palisades, CA
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 9 helpful votes
“Travel around the world of bathing in San Francisco!”
Reviewed January 11, 2012

We were excited to try this new Bay Area wellness destination billed as "beyond spa-ing" and an international tour of social bathing traditions from around the world.

I loved the artwork and the adventure of it all. I was nervous about trying my first banya -- complete with a oak leaf body treatment in a gorgeous steam room, but we giggled our way through the leaves and the hot and cold pools. Then it was down to the spa treatment rooms. My pharmeceutical rep gal pal said her massage was the best she ever had and my writer friend got to practice her Russian with her body scrubber. Afterwards we hung with some great folks Archimedes cafe with organic, rustic fare - homemade sausages, lentil soup and wine... yum!

That night, we all slept like babies -- hmm maybe there is something to this steam thing.
After 5,000 years of every culture having some sort of social bathing experience -- maybe it's time for us to listen!

Oh and I found out your first visit -- including access to all steam rooms, pools and lounges for 3 hours -- is $20.00.

Visited January 2012