“Boutique Hotel!”

Ranked #125 of 228 Hotels in San Francisco
Tampa, Florida
“Boutique Hotel!”
Reviewed March 13, 2013

My husband and I visited San Fran for our anniversary and we chose a small boutique hotel. Hotel Fusion looked modern and hip. When we arrived we were pleasntly suprised that it was so close to everything. Union square, the cable cars, restaurants, shopping, etc was within a block. The hotel was clean and had great bed linens. The mattress was really comfortable. It was a small room but from what I have read most hotels in San Fran are small so I expected this. We had lots of windows which was important since the ac unit didnt work. This didnt really cause us any issues since when we went the weather was perfect. It was comfortable during the day and a bit chilly at night. There is a nightclub located on the main floor of the hotel that we were aware of but didnt really realize how irritating it was going to turn out to be. On friday night it was so loud that we had to close our windows but could still hear the loudness that was coming from the people outside.

Positive: Great modern furnishings, clean, great bed, amazing location!

Negative: Small, the complimentary breakfast wasnt work the time to walk up and get it (pay money and go have a nice breakfast nearby), the club downstairs was loud and obnoxious.

Things to remeber: Bring a jacket because it get windy and chilly at night, be prepared for no ac (most San Fran hotels dont have ac), use the cable cars to get around (you will save lots of money).

Room Tip: Definately worth the money!
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Heidi H
Dear HeidiPurvis,

Thank you for your recent stay at the Hotel Fusion. We appreciate your patronage and thank you for your detailed comments and suggestions.
We are sorry you were disturbed by the nightclub's patrons - a small price to pay being located in the heart of San Francisco's Downtown Union Square. Our rooms that are facing the front of the building are equipped with double pane windows and it leaves me disappointed that these didn't help with the noise at all! For that, please accept my apologies. I will definitely get together with my Chief Engineer, put on our thinking caps and look into other options.

We always strive to provide every guest with a welcoming, convenient, and comfortable stay and will use these comments to improve our services and facilities. Thank you again and we look forward to welcoming you back to our boutique hotel.

John Dimalanta

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (169)
  • Korean first
  • Thai first
  • Turkish first
Jacksonville, Florida
Reviewed March 8, 2013

This was one time I had to think twice about the experiences that prompt my rating.

Room is very clean, but VERY small, especially for two people. The tight quarters were the cause of a trip and fall accident that resulted in multiple lacerations, lots of blood, and a dislocated shoulder. It didn't end my trip, but for the rest of the trip I had to wear bandages on my forehead and nose, couldn't lift my left arm, and had two black eyes. Perfect accessories for a wedding. Don't get me wrong, I'm not blaming the hotel; just saying the tiny room created conditions that resulted in an accident.

Wifi was good, and there was an ethernet jack. Power was a problem, though - the only outlet that didn't require me to move furnuture was on the other side of the room.

There were a few annoying things the hotel WAS responsible for - LOUD construction that went on until after six in the evening; nobody knocks on the door to get your attention - they scratch at the door (or something similar that makes almost no noise). The maintenance director the first night, and twice the maid walked in on us because we didn't hear the scratching. The room they serve the Continental breakfast in was too small too. The bagels and pastry were good, but six or eight people at once trying to get food is an accident waiting to happen.

The hotel a great location, and is walking distance from Chinatown and other attractions. Just don't fail to consider the steep streets when planning to walk.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank Dean B
Dear Dean B,

Your feedback is very important to us, so thank you for sharing it through TripAdvisor.
It leaves me very disappointed to learn that your stay with us was mediocre at best, and for that, please accept my sincere apologies. Being built almost a century ago, our historic building features variable rooms sizes, from cozier to larger ones.
My apologies for the construction noise. The Walgreens building next to our hotel is undergoing construction, as well as our lobby expansion along with a bar & restaurant, a banquet room, and a meeting/conference room.
I would love to investigate your incident further regarding the almost inaudible knocks (scratching). Please feel free to contact me directly, so I can research your concern, and see what I can do to turn this experience around for you.

Las Vegas, Nevada
Reviewed March 1, 2013

We were invited to a wedding, the ceremony at USF and the reception in Sausalito (just over the Golden Gate) in July 2012. We were one of the couples out of 3 that planned on attending the wedding. At first we were thinking of staying together, whether that meant renting a condo or staying at the same hotel. Needless to say, each couple ended up doing their own research and booking their own room in different spots (but relatively close).

We booked our room through Bookit.com and got a Contemporary Queen (total with tax for 2 nights = $302). Couple of people said it's a decent hotel, and looking at other hotels' prices I wasn't complaining on my deal. We had to incorporate flying into SFO on top of staying in the heart of downtown. After all, we did want to be in a prime location since it was part vacation and part family/friend matters. Great, great location! A block to the Bart (which was so very convenient), two blocks from Union Square with great shops in between (had to stop by Ben Sherman for a last minute outfit thing for the fella), five blocks from the Marriott where our friends were staying (perfect to meet in the middle which was Union Square), and the perfect spot to start and end a nice walk from downtown to chinatown to fisherman's wharf to all the piers until you get the ballpark to financial district and BAM right back to Fusion so you can rest or eat some of Blondie's pizza. Then, when you wake from your nap, head to the divey bars scattered around downtown just a block or two away. Bring your comfy shoes for the self-tour of SF, a jacket for the evening, and your hunger to explore a great city.

If you don't mind the small room, need a comfy nice bed, and location is what you need... this is a good place. If I had more money to splurge and felt like being a spoiled travel brat, then I'd stay at one of the fancier hotels. Location outweighed everything else for me though. Ah, well. Had a great time and slept well!

Room Tip: Be prepared for the size of the room if you're used to Marriotts, Hiltons, and Vegas hotels on t...
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
3 Thank sdotkdotc
Dear sdotkdotc,

Either you memorized all of the visitors guide out there or you used to live in SF because most of the stuff you've mentioned here are local insider tips. This is great concierge work and I am certain that our future guests will truly appreciate it. I'm impressed!

Thank you for mentioning the convenient location, and our competitive rates, and for choosing Hotel Fusion as part of your San Francisco experience!

We look forward to welcoming you back on your next trip to San Francisco.

Oceanside, California
Reviewed February 27, 2013

PRICE = $90/nt off Bookit.com. $90-$125/night is good price range. Possibly $150 b/c primo location.

LOCATION = CENTRAL UNION SQUARE. 2 Blocks BART, 3 Blocks St. Frances, Clift Hotel, etc.

ROOMS: Room 512. Clean, Spacious (Full Bed Room), huge bathroom (limited vanity space), semi-bright room, fridge, coffee pot, large closet, bathrobe, and safe. Hotel before was maybe a house/apartments b/c sometimes can hear pipes when water turned on in other rooms. No slippers shown on website, so bring your own.

STAFF = AWESOME! Rolex, Laura, and Chad. All professional, personable & hilarious! I felt like an old friend. Chad the Shift Supervisor was extremely helpful while I was getting ready for an event I was late for. He took the intiative to call customer service when he was unable to print my tickets for the event I emailed him to print. Now, this is 5 star service!

RESTAURANT = Excellent Food & Champagne -- Ordered Sliders & Sushi Rice. All excellent. I bought a $20 Groupon -- $20 for $40 worth of food & drink. BEWARE!! Server took it upon himself to charge me (AFTER-THE-FACT) 20% GRATUITY on the total $43 bill when I wanted changed back from my $20. He added $8.00 and circled -- 20% Groupon gratuity. I let this one go b/c I can't find a copy of the receipt. NOWHERE in the "Groupon FINE PRINT" does it say 20% gratuity on total bill required.

GYM: Didn't have chance to use. Went to 24 Hr Fitness which is 1 mile away (15 min walking. . . Harlem Shake.

Room Tip: Stay on 5th floor. 2nd Floor has nightclub.
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled solo
1 Thank TurboKickChick
John D, Manager at Hotel Fusion, responded to this review, March 6, 2013
Dear TurboKickChick,

Wow! Thank you so much for the awesome review - this is the stuff we live off of! MANY thanks for taking the time to not only write this review, but to also put the spotlight on Rolex, Laura, and Chad for their spectacular guest service! I couldn't agree more, they are the best, and a blast to work with! I take great pride in my team's consistent genuine care for our guests.

Please come back and visit us again, and let me know when you do!

Brisbane, Australia
Reviewed February 26, 2013

We stayed here for three nights, the location was great, could walk to most things. We got it at a good rate, the rooms were fine for the amount of time we were there. Enough space etc. Didnt wake up in time for the breakfast, another lift would be good aswell. The staff was helpful and friendly.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Katho-13,

Thank you for your recent stay and for sharing your feedback on Tripadvisor. We appreciate your patronage and thank you for your detailed comments and suggestions.

We always strive to provide every guest with a welcoming, convenient, and comfortable stay and will use these comments to improve our services and facilities. Thank you again and we look forward to your return visit.

Geelong, Australia
Reviewed February 13, 2013

We stayed here for 5 nights in January 2013. The hotel is very conveniently located close to BART and bus stops. San Fran isn't all that big anyway so it was easy to walk to most places too! It's about a 2 minute walk from the nearest BART station. Powell street is about 20 seconds walk down the road, there are food vans everywhere and the cable car stop is at the corner. It's a quick 5 minute walk down to Market St and there's also two Westfield shopping centers within about a 5 minute walk.

The reception is right at the back of the hotel. You enter through the front and walk down a long hallway. We were checked in quickly and took the elevator up to our room.

This hotel is advertised as a boutique hotel , and that's what it is. I don't think this has always been a hotel, possible converted from something else, as from the photos I saw on the internet, and the room we were assigned, they are very very different.

The room was a weird layout, as we walked in there was a small room at the front where we could put our luggage and there was a closet, coffee facilities and safe. To the right was a large bathroom with a shower bath combo, toilet and small vanity, then towards walking back past the bathroom was a small bedroom with a double bed, TV, only one bedside table and a mini fridge.

We paid the extra and booked a QUEEN room, but we realised on the last day that we weren't sleeping in a queen size bed. I since complained and we were refunded the difference.

The room was kept very clean, never had any troubles.

San Fran was a very expensive place when we looked for hotels, we ended getting this one for cheap on special at about $165 a night, all in all we would probably stay here again, but only if we couldn't find a comparable hotel cheaper.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank josh-aus
Dear josh-aus,

Thank you for choosing Hotel Fusion on your recent stay, and for sharing some photos.

Being built almost a century ago, our historic building (which gives it that charming boutique-y feel) features variable room sizes, from cozier to larger ones. The photos you've shared is one of our accessible rooms, and hence why it had a large open space upon entry and the large bathroom.

Thank you again for your feedback and we hope to welcome you back to our boutique hotel on your next visit to San Francisco.

Los Angeles, California
Reviewed February 8, 2013

Stayed here for one night during busy convention event - at $270 a night it was a very poor value for a tiny room with windows sealed shut, clumsy window unit AC for ventilation, no work desk, basic bed and a view of an air shaft. No menus available for places that deliver, no restaurant on site.

Building must have been a YMCA, SRO hotel or a medical faciilty - hallways are wide with lots of glass partitions tht give it a very institutional and cold feel.

Pluses: refrigerator, partially empty, and downright reasonable snack basket/mini bar prices. Basic starches and free coffee in lounge on 5th floor for breakfast, and staff was very helpful/friendly.

Odd: this is the second SF hotel I have stayed in where staff express concern that I mght have trouble finding a taxi in a city filled with them. Beware racket of door men who claim there are no taxis and then try to convince you need to take a reserved town car that comes with kick backs to the staff.

Room Tip: consider options carefully - for what I paid there are usually many more options with larger rooms...
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
2 Thank highlandbride
Dear highlandbride,

First and foremost, I would like to thank you for choosing Hotel Fusion on your recent visit to San Francisco. Secondly, I would like to take this opportunity to thank you for taking the time to post a review on Tripadvisor. We value your input and your feedback is greatly appreciated.

We strive to ensure that the guest experience is our top priority, and we take great pride in our exceptional service and make it our number one priority to attend to all of our guests’ needs, but unfortunately, we fell short of our goal on this occasion. On behalf of Hotel Fusion and its staff, please accept my sincere apologies for our shortcomings.

On a return visit to San Francisco, I would welcome you to give Hotel Fusion another try and allow you to experience the changes we have made along with appropriate improvements to our service level. Please contact me directly and I will personally handle your reservation and see what I can do to turn this experience around for you.

In the meantime, if you have any questions or concerns, please do not hesitate to contact me.

Travelers are raving about these San Francisco hotels