“Awful tour guide”

5 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 7 helpful votes
“Awful tour guide”
Reviewed June 5, 2013

I have been on ghost tours in many cities and was really looking forward to this one. Our guide Ruby was not a good storyteller, forgot what she was saying numerous times and seemed to be making things up as she went along. It doesn't matter if there are ghosts or not, if the person is a great storyteller it can still be a fun and interesting experience. The only positive thing I can say is that I got to learn some Chinese American history and see some places that I would never have gone to on my own. If you approach this as an socio-anthropological tour it was okay, if you are looking for a good ghost tour, save your money.

Visited June 2013
1 Thank screamingbansidh

Livermore, California
11 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 11 helpful votes
“Exhilarating!!!”
Reviewed March 5, 2013

My friend and I bought a Groupon for this SF Chinatown Ghost Tours and had a ball!!! We arrived early and enjoyed $3 beers and Dim-Sum, and they were delicious!! After the meal, we headed off on our tour at 7:30pm. Our tour guide, Cynthia, was really knowledgeable and was a complete delight!! She knew all about the history of Chinatown in SF and is a very good story teller.

If you ever have a Friday or Saturday night free, we HIGHLY recommend this tour!!!

Visited March 2013
Pleasant Hill, California
36 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 53 helpful votes
“Feng Shui walking tour of Chinatown needs way more Feng Shui !”
Reviewed March 4, 2013

SF Chinatown Ghost Tours also offers what they advertise as Feng Shui Chinatown walking tours which include a Dim Sum lunch at the Four Seas Restaurant on Grant. My adult daughter gave me this tour for Christmas and I was very excited to go. Several years ago, we had gone on Linda Yee's All About Chinatown tour and loved it. My daughter bought 3 adult Groupons for $30 each, no reduced price for my 5 year old grandson. We met our tour guide, Russell, at 11:30 AM at the Four Seas along with about 20 other people. First we were seated at a couple of round tables and the dim sum courses started arriving promptly. Little explanation of what we were eating, but most items were tasty. I would have liked Russell to tell us more about the various dim sum but he was busy hovering from table to table, doing his best to answer questions. After lunch, we followed Russell back outside and he was careful to make sure all the group was with him. He told some interesting stories about Chinatown's long history and we walked back and forth across Grant, exploring the side streets. We visited a Taoist Temple, very interesting, and Russell's narratives were well spoken and easy to hear. On Waverly Place, Russell pointed out the 8 sided mirror hung high overhead which was to bounce back any bad spirits coming from the T made where Waverly intersects the side street. Then we continued on to a small dark fortune cookie factory where a sign requested 50 cents for each photo taken! We got some tasty samples and continued our walk back across Grant and through a well used park where lots of Chinese seniors were playing cards and mah jong. Finally Russell led us to a tea shop where we were seated and given samples of different freshly brewed teas. Tour then ended, 2-1/2 hours long. We all enjoyed Russell's stories and he had lots of information to share but we wished more explanation of Feng Shui in Chinatown was included in the tour, since that is what the tour's name implies!

Visited March 2013
Coquitlam, Bc
9 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 16 helpful votes
“Good History lacking in Ghost Stories”
Reviewed February 21, 2013

I have been to several cities and taken Ghost tours and they were all ghosts with history thrown in. This one was good on the history and the culture, and learned things I was not aware of. I was disappointed in the lack of ghost stories. I get it that Chinatown itself is just over 100 years old due to relocation after the 1906 earthquake, but only about 1/3 was actual ghost stories. And did not expect to see any ghosts...both my mom and I did have one odd experience. There was a story that some people have smelled a floral scent when walking down the alley. No one else in the group (not even the guide) caught the scent..but the two of us. And mom did look around for a magnolia or flowering tree but did not pick up one. So chalk it to what you want, but that did increase the value of the tour a bit more then it would have without.

Visited February 2013
Sacramento, California
8 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 32 helpful votes
“Fun and Informative Experience”
Reviewed January 24, 2012

This tour is billed as a ghost tour but no ghosts were seen! The idea is that the stories and tour have much to do with ghosts of the past rather than modern day residents. All in all it was a fun experience and I would recommend it for the special price of $24 that we paid rather than the regular price of $48. Our hostess and guide, Cynthia, is wonderful at what she does. She is articulate, knowledgable and has the pleasing personality of a good guide. She also speaks loud enough that a group of 25 have no trouble hearing her (without audio support) and for someone who is slightly hearing impaired, it is important. The tour stops often while Cynthia explains something about the area or tells a story and proceeds at a nice pace. There is one steep hill, otherwise it is an easy walk for most. One couple brought their baby and stroller and seemed to manage quite well. The entire tour was approximately 1.3 miles long. The only downside of this tour is the magician at the end. I think we were there for almost 1/2 hour and it was too long. Magician Tamaka is pleasant and does a few tricks but his comedy routine needs some work. My party of 4 found his "performance" to be too long.
The tour meets at the restaurant Four Seas and I would not recommend this restaurant, the food is terrible. See reviews on restaurant. All in all I recommend this tour.

Visited January 2012