“The Speakeasy is alive and well”

Speakeasy Ales & Lagers
Ranked #255 of 546 things to do in San Francisco
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 2-3 hours
Owner description: Legit since 1997, Speakeasy Ales & Lagers is a San Francisco craft brewery bringing great beer from the underground to the masses. The Speakeasy Tap Room features twelve rotating taps of fresh beer, available in tasting flights, pints, bottles, cans, and growlers to-go.
Useful Information: Wheelchair access, Bathroom facilities
Newport Beach, California
12 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 7 helpful votes
“The Speakeasy is alive and well”
Reviewed March 11, 2014

We went to the Speakeasy as we journeyed through the breweries of San Francisco. Located in a somewhat industrial area.. the place was dark and fun. Nice bartenders who poured wonderful tastings of their own beer... my friends like the "Big Daddy" and "Prohibition" while I enjoyed the the "Scarlett". No food served, only great atmosphere and freshly brewed beer. I was informed that it expanded recently to the current atmosphere and somewhat of a little museum.

Visited March 2014

Raleigh, North Carolina
6 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 11 helpful votes
“Good place to hangout and have some good beer”
Reviewed March 20, 2013

I travel a lot to San Francisco but this was the first time I went to Speakeasy. It's exactly in a very exciting area of San Francisco (near Candlestick Park) so it's not very easy to get to it by public transportation like the BART but it does have a bus stop right out side. The tap room is only open until 9pm each day and there isn't anywhere to go near by after the close, which is my major complaint. The main entrance door is pretty cool with the old sliding lookout window from the prohibition era. The beer is good, but it is on the hoppy side, so keep that in mind. Also Friday and Saturday nights are family nights so people can bring their kids to the brewery but they cannot be in the tap room. I recommend anyone who likes craft beer to check this place out.

Visited March 2013
Hartsville, SC
80 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 311 helpful votes
“If you love beer, you'll love Speakeasy”
Reviewed November 16, 2012

My wife and I were looking for something to do for a couple of hours on a Saturday afternoon. We had heard of Speakeasy before, looked it up and headed out to a very industrial part of SF. The building is barely marked, and quite easy to miss. I parked in a small parking lot, and say a makeshift sign on the door to go to the loading dock. I made it inside the brewery and was so surprised.

The place was... raw. In a great way. Pallets of beer and kegs were everywhere. The hoppers of grain were right there. A couple of barricades and a few chairs... nothing fancy. But let me tell you, this was the best beer that I have ever had. Well worth a trip to the city, just to find this little slice of heaven!

Visited November 2012
San Francisco, California
12 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 21 helpful votes
“What a wonderful surprise!”
Reviewed July 6, 2012

This place is almost hidden...away from the chaos of downtown, I wasn't sure what to expect while driving through the streets of what looked like mostly industrial businesses. Then out pop the eyes of the logo and what a pleasant surprise. If you've never been to a tap room it's very different from a bar, almost like wine tasting only with beer. I saw children playing on the hillside while their parents tried the different beers on tap. They brew their own rootbeer for the little ones or the DD's to try, or anyone else for that matter. They did not have any left by the time my party showed up so I can't say how it was, maybe next time. There isnt very many chairs so prepare to stand. They did have a BBQ food truck out front in case you got hungry. The atmosphere was very nice, chill, and everyone was friendly, except for one bartender. He wasn't to helpful or knowledgable about the different beers and didn't seem to care to help you out. Perhaps we caught him on a bad day...? Overall I enjoyed myself I plan on going back soon.

9 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 17 helpful votes
“On Tap at Scoma's”
Reviewed May 25, 2012

Not too hoppy, with a roasted malt flavor and a hint of spice.

Visited May 2012