“Our best meal in San Francisco”
Review of Mr. Pollo

Cuisines: Latin
Neighborhood: Mission District
Neighborhood: Mission District
Reviewed June 23, 2014

My wife and I were staying in San Francisco for the weekend at an AirBnB, our hosts recommended this restaurant but said it was hard to get a table as the places was small. They were not lying, there were only a few tables and the bar. Luckily we got to sit at the bar and talk to the chef while he cooked.

He explained everything he made, and chatted away. Needless to say the food was incredibly good and amazingly cheap. If he is still there you should definitely go. One note, it is a small place so you may have to wait a while for a table.

2  Thank Harribo45

Reviewed December 29, 2013

This is just the type of dining experience I cherish. I had been wanting to try Mr. Pollo after seeing it featured on "The Best Thing I Ever Ate" on the Food Network a couple of years ago. The episode featured best value for taste. My daughter and I were going to a show at the nearby Marsh Theater, another local gem, and decided it was time to check this place out. The place is tiny, only about 4 (maybe 5) tables and two counter seats. We chose the counter and had a wonderful time chatting with the chef and waiter. As others have described, the menu is 4 courses, chef's choice. They had a small wine list (also very reasonably priced). I had the sauvignon blanc and my daughter the rose. Both were excellent. Our first course was Italian wedding soup. My mother's family is Sicilian and the soup was as good as my nana's ever was. Next was a salad of baby greens, mandarin orange slices and guava with a light vinaigrette. Yum! The mains were a half of a Columbian sandwich in a pita like bread that was scrumptious, followed by an egg, tomato, polenta dish that defies description but was a fabulous blend of tastes and textures. The dessert was a tad disappointing - a mild chocolate pudding with blueberries, but that in no way detracted with our overall dining experience.

The prix fixe is $20 (add about $8 for a glass of wine) and it is cash only, so come prepared with actual money. The food, the small but friendly ambience, the local feel all made for a memorable dinner and pre-theater fun.

Reviewed November 9, 2013

Its definitely worth a visit. It's a very small place so book in advance. The dishes are prepared just next to you. We had a columbian menu which was full of nice surprises, the kardamon-yoghurt desert had a bit too much kardamon flavour though. The menu definetely fills up your stomach and the price is reasonable. Great experience.

Reviewed October 30, 2013 via mobile

Amazing. And such a surprise! The food was simple but so delicious! The service was relaxed and comfortable. Felt like regulars. Definitely be going back! Thank you!
Also, the chefs pretty cute :)

1  Thank ALEXELISABETH
Reviewed June 5, 2013

Located in a nondescript space off Mission Street near 24th is a very intimate eatery serving a 4 course meal for twenty bucks at the time of writing this review. There are only 3 seatings starting around 6:30 or around that time.

Inside you'll find 3 tables with seating for a total of 15 lucky diners. A counter that over looks the chef's domain seats an additional 3 or 4.

Your server is the owner and chef is a culinary rock star creating dishes that will excite your palette.

On the evening we attended the first course was a 5 melon soup with creme fresh topped with chicharrón, (deep fried pork rinds). OMG. What a way to start our culinary journey.

The menu changes daily I'm told, so only make reservations when you are truly ready and prepared for an adventure.

I can't think of any place else where you can experience taste explosions and subtle nuances in a meal for such a reasonable price.