“Good fish / average atmosphere”

The Codmother Fish & Chips
Ranked #23 of 5,825 Restaurants in San Francisco
Cuisines: British
Neighborhood: Fisherman’s Wharf
Neighborhood: Fisherman’s Wharf
Reviewed July 26, 2013

We sought out this place after reading reviews on here. Everything said about the food is true...high quality, yummy fish...a tad on the salty side. Garlic fries should be ordered only if you LOVE garlic because you'll taste them for hours after. The patio area for seating was kind of dirty and a little old guy was digging through the trash for cans as we ate...more power to him...but the timing didn't seem appropriate. All in all, a fun experience and glad we went.

Reviewed July 25, 2013 via mobile

Okay, I have had fish and chips in tons of different places on the east and west coast of the US and this is the best I have EVER had.
The fish and chips are cooked to perfection that you don't even have to put anything on them. Actually any sauce will take away from the flavor.
Thank you Anthony from the tour bus for recommending it! This is the best restaurant I have tried at the wharf. You have to go there if you visit the pier area. Soooo worth it!

1  Thank Jaysuhn12
Reviewed July 22, 2013

Codmother lacks some refinement... like shelter from the weather, but has excellent food! Great fried fish and decent fries at reasonable prices make this a great alternative to a traditional restaurant. Did I mention that Codmother's is a food truck. Everything is cooked to order. No line in front of us and it took about 10-12 minutes for our order to be ready. Each order consisted of 2 nice filets of crispy battered tender white fish and some frozen french fries. "Delishhh" as my daugther would say. We did not sample any fried oreos or snickers but the group behind us did and were very complimentary. Well worth the visit.

2  Thank Raymond A
Reviewed July 19, 2013

Was advised to visit the godmother by the tour bus operators as they said it was the best fish and chips they had ever eaten.

Went and have to agree its the best fish and chips I've ever eaten. The codmother is owned by an English women who came out and spoke to patrons while they were eating. Staff were friendly and service was quick. Great atmosphere siting on the small terrace watching the world go by

1  Thank Robparker520
Reviewed July 18, 2013

I grew up eating New England fish and chips and I've never had fish and chips that had as salty of a batter. The fish was very good and fresh but I had to take the coating off to enjoy it. Maybe someone slipped in the kitchen on my order. It's very tight seating, you have to stand up to let people by but I like that kind of a place. It's fun being right on the street too, reminds me of Buckhead in Atlanta, Georgia. However if you have to go to the bathroom while here, just like everywhere else in this city, forget about it!