“Great Fish and Chips”

Cuisines: British
Neighborhood: Fisherman’s Wharf
Neighborhood: Fisherman’s Wharf
Reviewed April 25, 2013

What a surprise to rate a food "truck" as very good, but this one lived up to the reviews. The Codmother provided a very generous portion for 2 people with their large order. The fish was nicely prepared and not that greasy. Tasty fish and "chips" for a good price. Bravo to those who steered us to its location.

I would recommend it for a nice lunch. There is seating outside or they will wrap it up to go.

Write a ReviewReviews (1,112)

Reviewed April 23, 2013

Saw a review on Yelp and decided to give it a try?
We ordered the fish tacos -- they were good. Fish was perfectly cooked: flaky and moist. Sauce was yummy.
Wasn't crazy about the batter - didn't seem to be seasoned? The soft tortilla was a bit gritty.
Overall, would definitely go back but I would go with the fish & chips.
The garlic fries? AMAZING!!!
Small space and it was sunny yesterday so everyone was crowded in the shade - a bit cramped. Probably better to take it o go?

Reviewed April 16, 2013

Seriously! It's delicious! My husband and I loved fish and chips with vinegar from the Codmother! It was fresh and the portion was big. It wasn't easy to find it at first but the location is good and a bit off Fisherman's Wharf. We appreciated the food as well as the service that was friendly and efficient. The owner is a lovely person, so nice and social, she made us feel great! Good luck with your business!

3  Thank Tanya S
Reviewed April 10, 2013

Fisherman's Wharf in San Francisco is such a circus that you have to have a darn good reason to justify wading into the fray. Locals usually only get dragged down there when visitors insist. Local or not, if you're looking for wonderfully prepared fish and chips that hit all the right notes, than consider negotiating the swarms of people to a small stand in the middle of tourist central.

The ambiance is casual with limited seating and we were lucky enough to enjoy our meal on a warm sunny afternoon so sitting outside wasn't an issue. When we first arrived there was a sizable line (generally a good sign), but it moved quickly enough and we didn't wait long to place our order at the window. The staff at the window was friendly and had a good sense of humor. They've been through the drill and because each order is individually prepared, they're kind enough to let everybody know that it might take a few extra minutes.

We ordered fish and chips and fish tacos with an extra order of Baja sauce that included some jalapeno peppers for a small kick. The fish and chips were served darn hot which only made the fries smell and taste that much better because they were crispy on the outside, not greasy and lightly salted.

My search for good fish and chips has continued for many years and I've mainly been disappointed in how such a simple meal can be so poorly prepared and served with such disregard for elevating itself beyond just more fried food. Codmother's Fish and Chips stood out because the whole meal came together as a whole that exceeded the sum of the ingredients.

The portions were beyond decent. The batter was light, crispy, seasoned and not greasy. The cod was fresh tasting and served very hot and moist. All in all just a well done version of a classic. My wife loved her fish tacos for the same reasons that made the fish and chips so delicious. We met the owners as they cleaned tables and joked with the customers. They work long hours and had stayed-up late the night before hauling new lawn furniture into the tiny patio to make customers more comfortable. It's a labor of love and it shows in their food. You know who's lucky? The unsuspecting tourist who stumbles upon this small stand without any preconceived notions about the eating experience they're about to have. For the locals, this food might be worth venturing into the zoo even without out-of-town guests.

2  Thank harafx
Reviewed April 10, 2013

FYI:This is a food truck with an outdoor sitting area.

I ordered the fish and chips. They a number of orders in front of mine and so it was about a 15 minute wait. They were hot and plentiful when I got them. I got them to go and it included ketchup and vinegar packs and tartar sauce. You get two huge pieces of fish. I actually ate mine on the Yellow and Gold tour under the Golden Gate bridge. I tried the Baja sauce, but I wasn't a huge fan of it. I would recommend this if you are looking for fish and chips. The two gals working it were very friendly and professional.