“Lunch or Dinner...can't go wrong”
Review of Out the Door

Out the Door
Reserve with OpenTable
Out the Door is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #783 of 5,664 Restaurants in San Francisco
Cuisines: Asian, Vietnamese
Good for: Families with children
Dining style: Casual Dining
Cross street: Fillmore Street
Los Angeles
“Lunch or Dinner...can't go wrong”
Reviewed April 20, 2014

After many visits I owe the staff a review. Never had a miss here. I love the wine selection and clever Vietnamese inspired dishes that range from savory to sweet to spicy.

Visited November 2013

San Francisco, California
“Great food, creative cuisine, good ambiance, hip!”
Reviewed March 31, 2014

I did not know what to expect from this restaurant at all. I had browsed their menu online and thought it was quite interesting the spin that they gave traditional dishes. The eggs Benedict were superb, the grilled beef Babette was outstanding as was the chicken porridge. I had a sample of the lotus sticky rice and it was impressively different and appetizing. Service was good, not great as the restaurant was extremely busy, but the wait staff made their best to overcome the shortcomings of a crowded restaurant. Definitely a must go back to restaurant to try the other items on the menu.

• Visited March 2014
USA
“Overpriced for what it is”
Reviewed November 10, 2013

I have eaten at Out the Door twice. Both times I was unimpressed and wondered why it was so crowded; it is very expensive considering the quality of the food. We were a party of two and wanted a light late night dinner. We had two appetizers - hue dumplings and green papaya salad. Both were good but nothing that brought a wow reaction. We also had the braised niman ranch beef short ribs; what little meat there was tasted okay, but there was so much fat and sinew and a big bone. This dish cost a ridiculous $32! At $20 I might have thought it priced reasonably, but even that would have been a stretch. The bill for two appetizers, the short ribs, and one glass of white wine was $60 before tax and tip. Considering we ordered what one person might order (two small courses & a main course), it is ridiculously overpriced.

The service varied; our server was attentive, nice, and forthcoming. The people who seat you leave something to be desired; they are not very friendly and don't make a good first impression.

It is very, very loud in the restaurant, as the decor has a lot of concrete & metal.

I went back the second time because I wanted to give it a second chance, it was late, and the location was convenient. I understand the breakfast/brunch is very good. I might try it for that, but I won't be back for any other meal.

• Visited November 2013
Providence, Rhode Island, United States
“Unbelievable flavors at Slanted Door offshoot -- Out the Door”
Reviewed October 18, 2013

If you have no idea what Asian fusion food is, go to Out the Door for a lesson that your palate will never forget. Two couples with totally different food preferences -- meat-eaters, vegan, vegetarian -- all had fabulous food with unusual flavors and completely empty plates at the end of the meal. Even if you are a committed carnivore, the vegetables are so interesting and flavorful that you won't notice that you ate no meat. However, if you have to have meat, there are several options that are delicious and just as tasty as the vegetables. We would highly recommend this restaurant for delicious food, polite and efficient service, and really good local wines. One caveat: if you are looking for a quiet venue, go somewhere else. This is a very loud restaurant, although not as loud as the Slanted Door. But if that doesn't matter to you, and you are prepared to shout above the din, then you will have a wonderful time.

• Visited October 2013
1 Thank Beverly W
Sydney, Australia
“Fantastic Vietnamese fusion food”
Reviewed October 16, 2013

This was probably my favourite restaurant in San Francisco, although I ate very well every night. We had wanted to go the the Slanted Door, but were unable to get in, and the concierge managed to get us a booking here instead. It was amazing.
Between four of us we had 3 starters, 2 mains, 2 vegetable sides and 1 dessert - and that was a lot of food. The pork ribs, white fish ceviche, and salt and pepper squid are all excellent. The mains we chose were the "shaking beef" (the most tender tasty perfectly cooked cubes of beef in a delicious sauce) and the crab with glass noodles - superb. The vegetable sides were generous in size, and one of the best parts of the meal in my book. Chinese broccoli with abalone mushrooms, and fried brussel sprouts in a caramel sauce. Sooooo good! .
Prices were very modest for the quality of food, the service was great, and the decor is very chic. No negatives to this restaurant at all. I certainly don't regret not getting in to the Slanted Door!

• Visited October 2013