“To tha Farallons and beyond”

Oceanic Society Farallon Islands Whale Watching
More attraction details
Owner description: Oceanic Society is a non-profit marine conservation organization founded in San Francisco in 1969. Our San Francisco whale watch programs began in 1972, and have given thousands of people the opportunity to see and learn about the Bay Area's spectacular marine wildlife, including several species of whales, dolphins, seabirds, and much more. We are the only non-profit whale watch operator in the Bay Area, and our trips are used to collect marine research and support local conservation efforts.
Reviewed September 14, 2017 via mobile

The weather cooperated and we made it out to the Farallons and past to the continental shelf. Many aquatic birds including Tuft Puffins (my favorite) and a Blue Footed Booby. We found a whale freeway past the Farallons and viewed approx 45 Humpbacks and 25 Blue Whales. We had a great time

5  Thank Alfred B
"captain"
in 9 reviews
"swell"

Reviewed August 29, 2017 via mobile

A seriously great trip to go on whist visiting San Francisco! These guys are awesome, very knowledgable, friendly and helpful. The boat is great and comfortable. We saw loads and learnt even more. As far as the Farallon islands are concerned what an amazing place! if nature and wild life is your interest this trip is a must do!! So much life to be found there. We saw several species of whale, 2 or 3 species of seal, sea lions, harbour porpoise, 2 species of dolphin and more species of bird than I could count!! Amazing.. these guys do great work, please support them!! Very highly recommended.

3  Thank Delajojo
Reviewed July 11, 2017

On clear days, I can see the Farallons from my house. Ten years ago my neighbor told me about her wonderful Oceanic Society Farallon Island trip, and I’ve always wanted to go but until recently was afraid of getting seasick. I usually don’t use the Scopolamine seasick patch for a day trip, but I knew I needed something stronger than the OTC meds. You need a prescription for the patch, and it has to be put on 4 hours before your trip. It last up to 3 days, but I just removed it when the trip ended.

The patch worked! The captain said that he had seen rougher seas, but what we were experiencing was pretty rough. I was surprised at how high the boat could rock, like a seesaw! Old folks like me tried to be very careful when moving around, and it was so gratifying to see helpful hands steadying fellow passengers.

Young and old really need to be alert when the seas are rough. The deck is kind of pebbly but still slippery when wet. Susan, our wonderful marine biologist warned one of the passengers to keep her foot away from the opening on the deck (covered by a movable flap), which allows water to drain; I am not a boat person so I might be wrong about the function, but I do know you don’t want your foot to slide through the opening.

The seats are slippery even when dry, and there is nothing to hang onto except the back of the seat or some kind of pipe behind the seat. You have to twist awkwardly to grab these things. You will have minimal foot traction from the deck if it is wet. When we hit a large swell, a woman near me slipped off the seat and hit her head against the ledge at the side of the boat. Susan checked on her, and she told Susan she was OK. It was a scary moment.

Even though we were told to go to the railing if we had to throw up, I would bring a seasick bag (like the kind the airlines provide (free!). Use the bag if the seas are rough. The boat can really lean, and it would not be easy to hang on to the slippery railing while your whole body is being thrown forward.

Sorry about all the doom and gloom, and may you be lucky enough to cruise on a sea of glass! In spite of the rough seas, and feeling that 8 hours at sea were a bit too long, I so enjoyed not being seasick for the full 8 hours!

Read peapod33’s excellent review. Follow his advice, and you too will not regret the Oceanic experience!

4  Thank pilikiax2
OceanicSociety, Director of Outreach at Oceanic Society Farallon Islands Whale Watching, responded to this reviewResponded July 13, 2017

Thanks so much for your positive review. Indeed, the marine conditions between San Francisco and the islands can vary dramatically from trip to trip. We hope that our descriptions and reminder email prepared you for your journey and that others see this note as well. We are glad that you enjoyed the trip and that the whales and the islands made it worthwhile. Thank you!

Reviewed October 22, 2016 via mobile

Absolute one off. Had the chance to go out early morning part tourist trip part scientific research. Seven hours at sea, thoroughly enjoyed and so knowledgeable really amazing

4  Thank GrahamP113
See more reviews
Reviewed September 18, 2016

At one point we didn't know which way to look because there were whales in every direction. The naturalist said that we had an amazing day so maybe it's not always this good but I have been whale watching 5 or 6 times in different places and this was by far the best. Read the website for advice especially for clothing, even on a beautiful flat calm September day a windproof jacket and hat was needed.

4  Thank Craig A