Oceanic Society Farallon Islands Whale Watching
Review Highlights
Best Tour in the Bay Area

I've lived in the Bay Area for 30 years, seen and done most things, and this was the best tour I've... read more

Reviewed September 8, 2020
AndyLosAltos
Los Altos, CA
Amazing experience - a must-do!

The trip, naturalists, beauty of nature and experience as a whole were spectacular! We went very... read more

Reviewed August 25, 2020

from $65.70
from $85.00
from $90.00
More Info
All reviews humpback whales open ocean once in a lifetime sun fish waterproof jacket boat crew sea birds the golden gate bridge naturalist wildlife jellyfish motion pacific hat conservation leaping ship
Selected filters
Reviewed July 19, 2012

We were very lucky on our trip and saw a large number of whales throughout the day. Our guide said he had never seen as many whales in a single day.

The boat was quite small and had limited indoor seating which only became an issue half way through the day due to the cold weather and rough sea.

It was a thoroughly interesting day and the guide very knowledgable. Make sure you take plenty of warm clothing though and if you think you will get seasick take travel sickness pills.

The only thing I would suggest to the tour organisers is to provide lunch for the customers.

Fascinating day.

6  Thank psymon1969
Reviewed July 6, 2012

On 28 June 2012, my daughter ( 16) and I had a fantastic experience whale watching with the Oceanic Society based in San Francisco. the skipper and crew were very knowledgeable and shared this knowledge and experience enthusiastically enhancing our whole experience. We saw humpback, grey and blue whales, we also saw albatross, sea lions, sun fish. We were extremely lucky to see so many species of whale and in large numbers. The humpbacks put on great displays for us.

The trip left on time, the boat was comfortable and the money spent goes towards the research work. Highly recommended.

Date of experience: June 2012
6  Thank jldhoskins
Reviewed November 2, 2011

Some friends and I did a day trip on October 29, 2011 from Sausalito (they also pick up passengers in San Francisco) out to the Farallon Islands on the Salty Lady. The goal was to see whales. Alas, they weren't around the Farallones that day- we did however see a glimpse of Great White Sharks, many types of seals, sea lions and birds including migrating birds of prey. The Oceanic Society docent was knowledgeable and interesting and there was also a rep from a Sea Turtle preservation group on board. The Salty Lady is a nice boat but most of the seating is outside so it can be very cold and damp. The trip is long (8-9 hours) and even though it was nice weather, the swells were still big and many people were sea sick the entire day. The crew was very kind but they can't do much to help- don't go on this excursion if you know you are prone to sea sickness! And if you don't know, I would test out whether you are not on another trip- this is a fairly small boat and a long day to find out. The highlight of the trip (in my opinion) is coming back into the bay under the Golden Gate Bridge and seeing the city from a very unique view. I would definitely go out with this group again.

Date of experience: October 2011