“Top pizza!”

Cuisines: Italian, Pizza
Neighborhood: SoMa
Neighborhood: SoMa
Reviewed November 19, 2012 via mobile

I've been there last summer with some italian friends of mine from SF....One of the best pizza I've ever eaten!And I'm from Italy...Lookin' forward to come back as soon.

There are newer reviews for Una Pizza Napoletana

Reviewed October 25, 2012

This place seems to have taken on a bit of celebrity status. We arrived right at opening on a Thursday night (5pm), and there's was a large table of about 6 people who clearly came to chat it up with the owner/proprietor, sign autographs, take pictures, etc. This cut into our service time, but frankly, we were taken in with a bit of the celebrity/popularity of this place, so we didn't mind at all.

Either way, this place is all about a guy who wants to do one simple thing, and do it well. The menu has about 5 choices, all very similarly topped nepolitan style pizzas. Once the fanfair and celebrity hoopla settled down, we watched our pizzas being made. After about 4 mins in the wood-fired oven, then came to our table bubbling hot. The pizzas were... excellent. Obviously this is a bit of a different style pizza than "american" style, but it was still excellent. The crust had a nicely crisped crust with a fresh, moist interior (and a bit of a dry smoky flavor from the fire inside - you could clearly taste it was wood fired). The middle of the pizza was (as other have mentioned) a hair on the soggy/undercooked side, but that didn't at all detract from the overall taste or experience. This guy makes enough of these and is clearly passionate about it, this is probably by design.

If you're looking for a bit of unique SF experience, this place is worth checking out. It would also be worth looking at the various youtube documentaries that made this guy and place famous before you go to surround yourself in some of the celebrity/fanfare.

Otherwise, excellent pizza, a little overpriced, but the prices are obviously riding the celebrity status of this place. Not a bad decision to come here by any means. A little expensive, but still darn good.

Reviewed October 4, 2012

My wife grew up in Rome so she goes nuts for the 'true' Italian style pizza. And it is the real deal: great dough, wood oven, and the simplest and freshest ingredients. So far so good. But...it's $20 a pizza and $6 for a Moretti. Now I have no problem paying a fair restaurant mark-up, but $20 for dough, arugla, mozarella, and a few tomatoes? Come on now. I don't blame the spot for taking advantage of all us San Francisco young professional hipsters that think a $60 pizza dinner is normal, but once is enough for me.

You pay the same amount for a pizza at Little Star and get three times the pizza.

Reviewed July 2, 2012

Having only read about the restaurant in a bicycle magazine (!) where the owner is presented as a very passionate italian with as much love for his "pizze" as for his bikes, I really wanted to visit Una Pizza Napoletana for some time. Living in Norway, my trips to San Francisco are not that frequent, so when I had the chance, I jumped on it with two colleagues. They were more skeptical than I, as it is in a part of town that seems less travelled and less frequently visited.

A super interesting concept is that the owner makes all the pizze himself. From start to end; on a small desk facing the entrance, and with only glass around it, so anyone can see everything. And; as the menu outlines: No changes, no addtions or subtractions to what he makes. What you see is what you get from a menu that counts only five items, including a special one that is only made on Saturdays. Which happens to also be the only one that is non-vegetarian.

The other very interesting part of this place - it closes when dough is out. We arrived at 8, the place was full, and there were plenty people waiting as well. After having been served a few Perronis, the waitress came by and asked everybody how many pizzas they were going to have. As it tuned out; our group had the three final pizzas for the day; essentially closing the door behind us; "out of dough". Even better; we had one of the personnel's pizzas! Service level!

So we got our pizzas after a little wait, chatted with the italian waitor about the European Cup (football, soccer, whichever you fancy), and got great advice on where to go for dessert (gelateria), coffee, and after dinner drinks.

The pizzas were excellent, as was the entire dining experience, the atmosphere, the wine and ice cold beer, as as well as the service and the fantastic experience of going somewhere that is so dedicated to the puruistic form of food and function.

If there is one place in SF I would recommend, this is it. I need not say that the skepticism of my friends and colleagues was turned into standing ovations. For a pizza!

Reviewed June 19, 2012

I don't know, but I remember it being better in New York. I thought the crust was a little soggy. Too bad.