“Sweet and Original”
Review of Smitten Ice Cream

Smitten Ice Cream
Ranked #16 of 143 Dessert in San Francisco
Neighborhood: Hayes Valley
Description: Fun ice cream place that makes ice cream in front of your eyes by using liquid nitrogen.
Reviewed August 1, 2014

Smitten is a great little ice cream shop. Even though the location is kind of out of the way, and the line is pretty long, it is definitely worth the while. I would recommend the nectarine or the mint chip. You can watch them make it right in front of you, putting in all of the rich flavors, scoops of nectarine, real mint leaves. You could also add their homeade fresh cones, which are absolutely delicious! right near by is a nice little park, which is a cool place to enjoy your ice cream in. Inside the park there is a playground for the kids. The people there were so kind, and when we asked for more caramel, they said they'll put as much as we want. If your in SF you simply have to go!

Reviewed July 31, 2014

After a long walk from an okay Dim Sum restaurant to Smitten, we all decided that the ice cream had better be good. My dad even offered us 2 ice creams somewhere else if we didn't eat at Smitten, but I had feeling this would be something I would never forget. The reason for that is that Smitten makes its ice cream with just milk, liquid nitrogen, and mint & chocolate for the mint chip, nectarines for the nectarine, chocolate for the chocolate and vanilla extract for the vanilla. I've got to say, even though the line was long, it was very worth it. And, if you have company willing to stand in line, there is a playground and outdoor upper body strength training bars.

Reviewed July 28, 2014 via mobile

This place is so unique and so yummy! Three flavors are all you need ... the Fresh Mint Chip is so so so yummy! And resfreshing! can't wait to no back and get more! Parking can be a pain, but location is perfect for kids to eat ice cream and play at the playground. SO DAMN GOOD, I'M CRAVING IT NOW!

Reviewed July 23, 2014

It took a long walk & we had to ask directions to find the place in downtown San Francisco. Waited in line for quite a while but the experience was worth it. We really appreciate and look for good ice cream wherever we go and we were not disappointed. They make the ice cream in small batches of their daily flavors (not for each individual) and serve it in a cone or dish. As advertised it is really creamier than normal and made with no preservatives because it goes right from the machine to you. It is really like eating home-made. The only down side is the lack of places to sit and the tiny spoons. But you can’t have everything. I would recommend and go back if in the area.

Reviewed July 22, 2014

First of all, to me, food quality and taste is the most important aspect of an eatery. I'd pick Salt N' Straw (Portland, OR) for the absolute best tastes, but I really like the super-fresh and simple ingredients of Smitten delivered with their clever (although not original) NO2 chilling method of making the ice cream instantaneously.

If I go back I will ask them if there is any way to lessen the sugar of my batch.... I guess I would like 20% less sugar and 30% more punch with the flavor. I had both the Mint and the Chocolate. The Chocolate didn't taste as good as it read on the menu, but it was good. The mint was FRESH mint and had a great flavor, but it could have been even more intense and less sweet in my opinion.