“What a Disappointment!!!”

Cuisines: Seafood
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed February 6, 2013

My family is from the east coast and we enjoy delicious seafood often. We couldn’t wait to sample the seafood in San Francisco. We selected this restaurant based on TA reviews, but I honestly don’t understand the hype. We ordered three meals, and they were all terrible.

My husband ordered Crab Cakes, and they were all filler, essentially miniature patties of tasteless mush. They contained no chunks of crab meat at all. Earlier in the year, we dined in a restaurant in Maryland. Now they know how to make crab cakes!

Unfortunately, I ordered a Dungeness Crab Melt. Again, chunks of crab meat were non-existent and the cheese overpowered the sandwich. Also, served on the plate were limp French fries and one bite of bland cole slaw. Basically, I paid $12 for a soggy, grilled cheese roll.

My son had heard so much about San Francisco’s Cioppino, he couldn’t wait to try it. What arrived was a tasteless fish stew filled primarily with cheap mussels. What a $25 rip-off! The prices are ridiculously expensive for the quality of food that is served. Also, the service was subpar. We had to ask our server to have our beverages refilled, and she acted like it was a bother to serve our table.

This can’t be the best seafood San Francisco has to offer! Try another restaurant!!

1  Thank jolv
There are newer reviews for Woodhouse Fish Company

Reviewed January 24, 2013 via mobile

Enjoyed a wonderful lunch here with a friend while walking in the Pacific Heights neighborhood. For $17 had a fresh dungeness crab roll sandwich with fries and small side of cole slaw. The crab just melted in my mouth.

Reviewed August 11, 2012

My partner and I are transplants from the North East - and boy do we miss our rolls and chowders. So happy to have found Woodhouse, especially the Filmore location. Both the Market Street and Filmore locations have great food and atmosohere, but the latter has that bit of neighborhood charm lacking from the intersection of Market and Church. As a local, it's no big deal for us to trek over to Filmore, but as a tourist you may not want to take the time. Believe me, beyond Woodhouse's fantastic food (best/most authentic lobster roll in the city) you'll enjoy a classic San Francisco street with great shops and architecture.

PS- Be sure to try the Hartford Chowder, a mix of New York and New England chowders (get it!?)

Reviewed June 16, 2012

After checking restaurants on Trip Advisor we decided on the Woodhouse Fish Company and we weren't disappointed! We had to wait a short time for a table and the staff was very attentive. The calamari appetizer was one of the best I have ever tasted, not greasy and very flavorful. The lobster roll was excellent as were the clam roll and fish and chips the others in my party ordered. Topping it off we shared the freshly made strawberry shortcake! A perfect end to a wonderful meal! Will definitely share my experience and enjoy another meal there again!

Reviewed June 12, 2012 via mobile

Stopped here for lunch not knowing what to expect. We ordered the clam chowder to start with, and oh wow! Very, very delicious. We ordered the fish tacos and the crab melt and both were very yummy and full of good flavor. To top it off, we had to order the homemade Strawberry Shortcake and oh lord! It was sinfully good. The whole place is packed with people and all seem to enjoy their food. This place is really good!