“Average”

Chowder Hut Grill
Ranked #232 of 5,665 Restaurants in San Francisco
Cuisines: American, Bar, Seafood, Soups
Good for: Local cuisine, Families with children, Kids
Dining options: Drinks, Lunch, Late Night, Dinner, Outdoor Seating, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Television, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Neighborhood: Fisherman’s Wharf
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Average”
Reviewed September 6, 2013 via mobile

We chose this place randomly for dinner as we were walking along the pier. We got the clam chowder in a sourdough bread bowl & it was "Ok." Maybe I'm spoiled being from the Monterey area, but the bread seemed hard; kind of like day old bread & the chowder kind of bland. The hot crab sandwich was good, but not wonderful. Same w/ the fish and chips. Overall, prices were decent & food average. Not somewhere I would choose to go again given the many options here!

• Visited September 2013

• Polish first
Augusta, Georgia
“Fast food”
Reviewed September 6, 2013

Located in a parking lot in the Fisherman's Wharf area, this restaurant was OK. The bread bowls holding our soup were delicious sourdough. The crab and clam chowder were just so-so. The crab was spicy. The clam was creamy. My conclusion, if you can help it, don't eat in Fisherman's Wharf area. Buy a loaf of bread and nibble until you reach a less touristy area.

San Diego, California
“just ok but good location for pit stop”
Reviewed September 4, 2013

Chowder bowl was average. I liked it but it was nothing out of the ordinary. The drinks were standard. Location is great. Staff was kinda aloof and just standing around. My lady wanted to cut the bread bowl and get to the sour dough bread. The bread was not toasted enough to tear easily so we asked for knife to cut it. No knives available for customers. No plastic or metal. Is this place regulated by TSA? so I asked them to borrow the bar lemon/lime knife. they would not let me. then I asked them to cut it for us, and they just laughed, as if I was joking. I told them I was serious and they said no. My friend was trying to be a lady and I wanted a piece of the bread.so we just kinda ate the chowder and left the bowl uneatened. I did tear a small piece off and sampled it, but would have liked to have more. The restroom line seems like it is shared with the harbor so it was super packed, we left not wanting to get messy with the chowder and bread. not sure if I will return.

Visited June 2013
Sylva, North Carolina
“Great Clam Chowder”
Reviewed September 3, 2013

Went here on my first visit to Fisherman's Wharf. They had outdoor seating but protected from the wind by a glass enclosure which was nice and yet gave a fishbowl effect. There was no sign saying seat yourself so we stood awkwardly at the front until someone told us. Our waiter was good but it took a while for our food to come and then part of it was wrong, I ordered the clam chowder in a bread bowl and we were going to split the appetizer sampler.. clam chowder arrived with no problem and an order of shrimp? uhh we didn't order that where is our sampler? 5 minutes later it comes out and I have to say it was worth the wait.. it was delicious so was the chowder.. I wish the portions for the sampler were bigger it felt like only a few fries and like 2 each of everything else. I would def go back here.

Rome, Italy
“Very good crab chowder”
Reviewed August 28, 2013

We tried the crab chowder and a crab sandwich. They were both very good though I would recommend to try the chowder. Honest prices, fast food style. To be checked out if you are around.

1 Thank RenatinoAgatina