“Decent, value for money”
Review of The Grant Hotel

The Grant Hotel
Ranked #131 of 229 Hotels in San Francisco
Reviewed June 14, 2013

Good location, steep climb from the nearest subway station though. Nice large room we got at the back side, so we got a little less street noise I guess.

Room was clean and was well cleaned daily in our 4 night stay. would recommend it for people on a budget and not looking to spend a lot of time in the hotel

What wasn't very good was the front office staff wasn't very approachable or courteous. The wifi was free only in lobby area and breakfast was a few breads and coffee. Also we felt that the carpets in the hall way had a muggy smell and left our room windows open for air to come in

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple
There are newer reviews for The Grant Hotel

Reviewed May 29, 2013

We stayed here nine nights and we very pleased. It isn't luxurious but you can't expect that either from a two star hotel or for the price. The best part was location: 5-10 minutes to Union Square but still on a quiterer street. Also cable car stop is very close.

The room and other areas were clean; there was a daily cleaning and change of towels. There was an issue with our toilet once but the cleaning lady fixed it quickly before we even asked about it. The breakfast included muffins and other pastries, so ok if you can live with that, I usually bought some fruit etc from the Walgreen's nearby. There was coffee and a few sorts of tea too.

Bed was comfortable but earplugs were needed occationally at night because of the noice from the street (even though we were on the fifth floor).

Room Tip: Our room (502) on the top floor was spacious enough for two and clean. It had some noice from the st...
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Dewberry A
Reviewed May 26, 2013

I may have been luckier than other guests posting here, but we had an excellent experience. I preferred a better hotel, but SF was very busy and classier hotels were very high for this period. We reluctantly booked the Grant and were quite pleased.

Yes, you get what you pay for, but we had a good rate and a larger room on the back of the hotel, 5th floor. The room and linens were quite clean, with new carpet, nice bathroom and reasonably quiet. The hotel was sold out all of the five nights we were there, but we were not disturbed. The majority of guests were Europeans or Asians; we had a good time visiting over breakfast and elsewhere. Breakfast is ok but not great. Staff were very nice.

Location is good. I'd not hesitate to stay there again.

Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Nancy2005
Reviewed May 18, 2013 via mobile

They make you pay for internet service in your room, only free net in lobby, place was cute but real old, someone along the way took a shot at renovation and failed, missing tiles in bathroom, mold in tub, ( see pics) . The free wifi thig is a good reason to avoid, the front desk was no help, all kind of rules, no coffee after certi. Times etc, also no cell service in your room. Just skip this place

• Stayed: May 2013
1  Thank G C
Reviewed May 6, 2013

This is just a very basic hotel in a good location in San Francisco. The free breakfast was pretty plain and boring and the front desk were not very welcoming. The walls were also paper thing (we heard a fair bit of 'noise' coming from within the hotel).

The room was nice, clean and quiet.

I enjoyed my stay, but wouldn't stay at The Grant Hotel again.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank johnoamh
Reviewed April 29, 2013

I know I'm just adding to the choir here, but the words that best describe the Grant are "basic", "functional," "clean" and "reasonably-priced."

I paid less than $100 a night. What I got was a fourth floor room that was about 12x12 with a basic queen bed that could probably use a new mattress. Not sure I wasn't sleeping on two box springs--but hey, I was so tired by the time I got back to my room, I could have slept on the floor and conked right out. The rest of the room includes two basic nightstands, a basic desk and a really basic TV. Surprisingly, the room also included an L-Shaped walk in closet and a bathroom that had been remodeled recently. The other guests I saw were either college-aged or closer to retirement age and many were European. In other words, open-minded, budget travelers more interested in convenience than opulence--sort of a step up from the hostel crowd. There's a small lobby with a seating area and a couple computer stations. Mornings in clude a free, very basic breakfast (coffee, juice, very generic pastries). Overall, it wasn't the Four Seasons, but it was perfectly functional and sort of charming in a "hey, this reminds of one of the bedrooms in my Grandma's old house" sort of way.

Positives:
1. LOCATION, LOCATION, LOCATION: in the City Center and easily walkable to Convention Center, Chinatown, North Beach, Tenderloin and really, even to Fisherman's Wharf.

2. Price: as I said, under $100 a night. Easy to pay two or three times that for a more modern hotel.

3. Friendly staff. They're not professionals like at a big chain hotel. No matching uniforms and probably nobody who got their job coming out of an HRI program at the local college. Just "regular" people who varied between polite and friendly to really knowledgeable about the neighborhood and the city. I found it refreshingly non-corporate.

4. Theoretical Free WiFi. I say "theoretical" because the password I was given didn't work. I was only in my room first thing in the morning and right before bed, so it wasn't worth the 20 minutes it would have taken to sort it ou.

Negatives:
1. It's old. Although it has been maintained well, the carpet is old. The walls are old. The floors are old (and not 100 percent level). The doors are old. The stairs are old. The smell is ...old. You will not in any way, shape or form confuse this with a modern luxury hotel.

2. The neighborhood. Although centrally-located and safe, not very "Disney" if that's your thing. Most of the block is business/residential and you get high volumes of local foot traffic. Given San Fran's high level of homeless and obviously mentally ill, that's something to consider. Also, for families, there is an adult theater that caters to homosexual men located two doors down. It has a marquee with a racy show title and some mildly suggestive photos/playbills on the front wall. That could be awkward if you're easily moved from your comfort zone and/or you are traveling with children. Once again, the key thing to remember is I never once felt unsafe anywhere in or around the hotel and I'm from a small, non-diverse, midwestern town.

3. Beds and TV: if they are a key part of your travel experience, this is not for you.

4. I had a window that opened on to a brick wall two feet away. Open windows also mean noise...although I had no issue with it at night.

Overall: I'd say the Grant is a solid, low-cost option for anybody coming to town without children, looking for a cheap, safe, no-frills home base they can use as a jumping off spot for exploring one of the truly unique American cities.

Room Tip: I probably wouldn't want anything on the lowest floor or facing the street if I could avoid it.
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled on business
2  Thank ceguruGrandHaven_MI
Reviewed April 23, 2013

We got the good deal for this hotel, located in the middle of China town, walking distance to all the shopping centre in San Francisco downtown, definately is perfect for shopper, the room is small with bed bubs !! can't have a comfortable sleep at all.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled with friends