“No frills, but no problems.”
Review of The Grant Hotel

The Grant Hotel
Ranked #127 of 228 Hotels in San Francisco
Grand Haven, MI
“No frills, but no problems.”
Reviewed April 29, 2013

I know I'm just adding to the choir here, but the words that best describe the Grant are "basic", "functional," "clean" and "reasonably-priced."

I paid less than $100 a night. What I got was a fourth floor room that was about 12x12 with a basic queen bed that could probably use a new mattress. Not sure I wasn't sleeping on two box springs--but hey, I was so tired by the time I got back to my room, I could have slept on the floor and conked right out. The rest of the room includes two basic nightstands, a basic desk and a really basic TV. Surprisingly, the room also included an L-Shaped walk in closet and a bathroom that had been remodeled recently. The other guests I saw were either college-aged or closer to retirement age and many were European. In other words, open-minded, budget travelers more interested in convenience than opulence--sort of a step up from the hostel crowd. There's a small lobby with a seating area and a couple computer stations. Mornings in clude a free, very basic breakfast (coffee, juice, very generic pastries). Overall, it wasn't the Four Seasons, but it was perfectly functional and sort of charming in a "hey, this reminds of one of the bedrooms in my Grandma's old house" sort of way.

Positives:
1. LOCATION, LOCATION, LOCATION: in the City Center and easily walkable to Convention Center, Chinatown, North Beach, Tenderloin and really, even to Fisherman's Wharf.

2. Price: as I said, under $100 a night. Easy to pay two or three times that for a more modern hotel.

3. Friendly staff. They're not professionals like at a big chain hotel. No matching uniforms and probably nobody who got their job coming out of an HRI program at the local college. Just "regular" people who varied between polite and friendly to really knowledgeable about the neighborhood and the city. I found it refreshingly non-corporate.

4. Theoretical Free WiFi. I say "theoretical" because the password I was given didn't work. I was only in my room first thing in the morning and right before bed, so it wasn't worth the 20 minutes it would have taken to sort it ou.

Negatives:
1. It's old. Although it has been maintained well, the carpet is old. The walls are old. The floors are old (and not 100 percent level). The doors are old. The stairs are old. The smell is ...old. You will not in any way, shape or form confuse this with a modern luxury hotel.

2. The neighborhood. Although centrally-located and safe, not very "Disney" if that's your thing. Most of the block is business/residential and you get high volumes of local foot traffic. Given San Fran's high level of homeless and obviously mentally ill, that's something to consider. Also, for families, there is an adult theater that caters to homosexual men located two doors down. It has a marquee with a racy show title and some mildly suggestive photos/playbills on the front wall. That could be awkward if you're easily moved from your comfort zone and/or you are traveling with children. Once again, the key thing to remember is I never once felt unsafe anywhere in or around the hotel and I'm from a small, non-diverse, midwestern town.

3. Beds and TV: if they are a key part of your travel experience, this is not for you.

4. I had a window that opened on to a brick wall two feet away. Open windows also mean noise...although I had no issue with it at night.

Overall: I'd say the Grant is a solid, low-cost option for anybody coming to town without children, looking for a cheap, safe, no-frills home base they can use as a jumping off spot for exploring one of the truly unique American cities.

Room Tip: I probably wouldn't want anything on the lowest floor or facing the street if I could avoid it.
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
2 Thank ceguruGrandHaven_MI

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (78)
  • Czech first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
Reviewed April 23, 2013

We got the good deal for this hotel, located in the middle of China town, walking distance to all the shopping centre in San Francisco downtown, definately is perfect for shopper, the room is small with bed bubs !! can't have a comfortable sleep at all.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank ngsiewcheng
Northampton, United Kingdom
Reviewed April 17, 2013 via mobile

This is a basic no frills hotel on the edge of tenderloin and union square. Hotels aren't cheap in th city centre so this is a good choice for those on a budget. We stayed 4 nights in early april. The hotel looks quite old but very clean. Our room had no view but had a newly renovated bathroom to make up for it. Bed was comfy but room isn't huge. Tv was ok but channel guide down in lobby. Internet only available downstairs with a free code from front desk unless you want to pay for it in your room. Lobby area clean but small. Hot drinks limited to lobby but only a coffee machine that I never saw work outside breakfast hours and tea but no milk just coffee whitener. Didn't have the breakfast as it was so basis. Go to Lori's diner one street south instead as its quick and yummy and made the tastiest pancakes I had all holiday.
Cable car and bus stops close by. Train/underground line for airport at bottom of the hill on market Street so good transport links if you can't hack the hills Or wwant to head further out of the union square area.

Definitely worth a consideration if you are on a budget but don't expect 5* service. Lots of mixed reviews on the area but we never had any problems as a couple in our late 20s. There's an adult theatre next door but no big deal. We came back by midnight each night by foot with no issues. Lots if homeless people around but no different to any city. None of the street people gave us any problems So ddon't let them put you off.

• Stayed April 2013
3 Thank Helenback56
San Francisco, California
Reviewed March 31, 2013

The Grant Hotel is an older hotel but it is clean and well kept. The staff was very friendly and helpful. Yes, the rooms have little to no extras but the rates reflect this. The big plus for this hotel, other than the reasonable rates, is location. Two blocks from Union Square in the heart of San Francisco, close to the Embarcadero and Fisherman's Wharf area. We loved being on the cable car route and it was no problem getting around using the extensive public transportation system, MUNI. We would recommend getting a multi-day MUNI pass.

Room Tip: Rooms in the back are quieter, We were on the 5th floor and had a good view and lots of light.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
4 Thank BJ_E_0628
Carlyle, Saskatchewan, Canada
Reviewed March 20, 2013

I loved San Francisco: the entire city's essence is of history and days gone by. Hotel Grant was no exception. San Francisco lodging is difficult to find in July and it's invariably expensive. We were already on our way through CA when we realized we needed to book a room somewhere in San Francisco. Hotel Grant was the second place I called and I felt lucky to get it.

What I Liked:
1: This hotel is clean. Very, very clean.
2: This hotel is old... about a century old, in fact. I loved the old style of rooms and building architecture.
3: We had a room on the second floor but the stairs were not terribly steep so, for exercise, we always took them.
4: The staff was always helpful and friendly.
5: Location is great. Not too far from some awesome restaurants and Fisherman's Wharf. We walked everywhere.

What I didn't like:
1: Strange smell in our room. (We opened our window when we were in the room so it aired out nicely.)
2: The lack of good breakfast. (Pastries, muffins and hot drinks. Typical.)

If we could travel with more $$, we definitely would have not stayed here. However, for our budget, it was a great hotel. If we ever go back to San Francisco (I hope we do!), and we're still budgeting, I think we'll definitely be staying here again.

Room Tip: Ask for something quiet. We did and reception was happy to oblige!
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
5 Thank Naomi T
Calgary
Reviewed February 12, 2013

This hotel is no frills but it's clean and well maintianed. The staff is friendly and they make you feel welcome. Our room was quiet! The elevator was a bit doggie, but we took the stairs. Great location, very safe and would stay again.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
4 Thank Leandra Z
Toronto
Reviewed February 10, 2013 via mobile

We stated 4 nights and didn't run into any problems at all. The staff are knowledgeable and friendly. The building has tons of charm. The lobby is the hub of the community including light breakfast, computers and free wifi. Not a luxury hotel, but in the same neighbourhood as the big names. Would recommend this place to any tourist on a budget that needs a place to rest their head.

• Stayed February 2013