Contact accommodation for availability.
There are similar hotels available.
frank44d
New York City, New York

A tour through history

Review of The Grant Hotel
5.0 of 5 bubblesReviewed Nov 15, 2012
First things first. I did not stay at the Grant but I was curious about its history. We met a young employee called Max who gave us a 45 minute tour of the hotel and its history. We toured some of the ballrooms and the presidential suite as Max commented on the furnishings and past guests. Very impressive. If Max was indicative of the rest of the staff then I would have no qualms about spending time there.
Date of stay: November 2012
Trip type: Traveled as a couple
$140
1.2 miles from The Grant Hotel
Fitness center
View more hotels in San Francisco
1,282 results
All reviews great location cable car stop tea coffee would stay again free breakfast public transport chinatown sf bart powell
Selected filters
Reviewed November 7, 2012

Stayed 2 nights. Was below my expectation.

Pro
1. Location-Easy access to downtown and China Town. 5-10 minutes to downtown & China town.
2. Breakfast- Good pastries and black coffee was okay. No cereal, milk, waffles, pancakes or fruits so don't expect too much. Must pay Juices and better coffees (I wonder where they catered this breads..was good)
3. Cleanness- 7.5/10. blanket, pillow case and bed sheet had clean scent.
4. Check out time- 12pm
5. Hot water- comes out very well.

Con
1. Thin wall-If you stay quite, you can hear next door conversation very well. Luckily, my neighbors were quite people.
2. No air condition-No air condition. It wasn't a big deal to me. Just open the window and let the air flow (but there is no screen though)
3. Heater- This was a major problem that made me really frustrated. When I arrived to the hotel, I had flu symptoms so I turned the heater on, but it did not work (need to turn the nob to turn on-very old heater that you will see from movies) So I called the front desk, but they told me that if I turned the nob, it should work so I should just wait. So I waited about 30 minutes and another 1 hour after making a call to the front desk to let them know that it isn't working still, but again it did not work. Therefore, I went down and spoke to the front desk, but a manager looking guy said they do have central air heating system so it won't turn on unless it hits the set up temperature. They said it will turn on around 1amish so I should just wait. I tried to double confirm his words, but he tried to ignore the subject and gave me extra blankets (has a lots of holes, it felt so gross) to warm myself up. I guess they set up the temperature to 40 or something below... The heater never turned on during the stay. This hotel is not a cheap hotel. It is November, not May or June. They should set up the temperature little higher so it should work when it is needed to the guests. In my opinion they were being such a cheap-skate to save the electric bill. They weren't honest from the beginning. If they told me the truth from the beginning, I would not be upset so much. This issue made me to decide to never come back to this hotel.
4. Room- Please upgrade. At least repaint the walls. Smelled bad the bed wasn't really comfortable (cheap blankets that you can easily see from motels) No hair blow dry in the room nor ironing equipment. Not enough towels, toilet paper and old/cheap looking shower curtain. spotted some stains and scratches on the wall. Near to the restroom window was pretty dirty and many stains. I did not feel good and comfortable at all.
5. WIFI-free WIFI at the lobby is sooooooooooooooooooooooooo slow.....rooms no have free WIFI. Must pay.
6. Connection problem-90% of the time my phone was "NO SERVICE" so..can you please make the WIFI free in the room?
7. No ice machine.

Location- 8/10
Cleanness-7/10
Service-4/10
Comfort- 3/10

Overall Score- 5.5/10

Recommend for- if you plan out short stays, looking for a place little better than motel in the downtown SF, without free WIFI in the room, want to travel downtown/China town in walking distance and can sleep without the heater during the winter, I recommend this hotel!

Not recommend for-People who is looking for more like hotel, comfortable, clean, free WIFI in the room, need air condition and heater then big no.

Room tip: -If you need to stay at this place, get a queen room or above quality room. Full room was not a good choice and if you don't want your window to face the wall ask them for a room that is facing the street. (Most likely they will say they are out of them, but ask them at least) -Go down to get the free breakfast little early like before 9am. -If you need blow dry and ironing equipment, ask them before you head to your room. Because they do not tell you.
Date of stay: November 2012
  • Trip type: Traveled as a couple
2  Thank Misaki T
Reviewed November 7, 2012

Was not expecting a 5 star hotel but didn't expect what we were given either. The room was incredibly dusty and dirty, sheets and bed and carpet were visibly very old and did not want to sit on the bed let alone sleep in it, walls were as thin as paper, and within arms reach out the window was a brick wall so no sunlight. Needless to say we were out of here within the hour and stayed somewhere else. I don't know how anyone could find the hotel acceptable, it was disgusting! Possibly we got a bad room as it was nothing like the photos on their website!

Date of stay: September 2012
  • Trip type: Traveled as a couple
2  Thank 488Mieke488
Reviewed October 22, 2012

Date of stay: October 2012
  • Trip type: Traveled with family
Review collected in partnership with Easytobook.com
This review is the subjective opinion of an individual traveler and not of Tripadvisor LLC nor of its partners. Tripadvisor performs checks on reviews as part of our industry-leading trust & safety standards. Read our transparency report to learn more.
Reviewed October 21, 2012

Great location near Union Square with clean rooms, but this hotel has very few other redeeming features. The hotel staff are generally unhelpful and bordering on rude - we approached them a few times for assistance and responding politely or helpfully seemed too much trouble for them. The breakfasts are poor as others have mentioned - fresh milk was too much to ask for and only coffee to drink. Rooms are very basic and our room looked out to a brick wall only a few feet away which made it very dark at all times of the day.

Overall, reasonable price for the location but customer service was a huge let down. I can't recommend this hotel.

Date of stay: September 2012
1  Thank Emma2222
Reviewed October 18, 2012 via mobile

I booked this hotel during Fleet Week and it was one of the best ones I could find in terms of price and location. First impressions were not good- in the first room allocated, the blinds would not work. In the second room, the safe needed batteries to function. Staff seemed abrupt... However, as our 4 day stay progressed (and the safe fixed the next morning) I would say this hotel is in a brilliant location. The area was safe and very close to Union Square. The cable car line is literally on the corner. Walgreens is 2minute walk (can purchase Muni passports from here). Chinatown starts a few blocks down. The pastries for breakfast are really nice. Free wi fi in lobby area was good. The staff (esp the younger ones) are very friendly and helpful with advice. The rooms are basic, but clean. We Did notice an odd smell in the corridors, but luckily this was not in our room. I would recommend Lori's Diner (around the corner) for breakfast. All in all , this hotel is a perfect base for exploring San Francisco and ideal for our trip as we only spent time in the room to shower and sleep. I would recommend it but do not expect any frills!

Date of stay: October 2012