“Excellent Hotel - don't believe the moaners”
Review of The Grant Hotel

The Grant Hotel
Ranked #132 of 230 Hotels in San Francisco
Reviewed October 12, 2012

Have just spent 6 nights at this hotel. I was abit dubious to say the least having read some of the reveiws and watched a program on the flight out about trip advisors and how they assess hotels. What can I say!! - excellent location, within walking distance of the BART (althougth up hill!!) for transfers to the airport, close to Union Square, loads of places to eat, especially the little Italian across the road and LeftyO'Dowds Irish Pub with live music just off Union Square ,also very handy for the trams to get around on. The room was basic, very clean, and a very comfy bed. The breakfasts were basic but adequate,and all i did was load a couple of plates up and ate in our room. We had no problem with the staff, always polite, friendly and courteous. If your there to spend your days sight seeing and just need some where to relax and sleep then I would highly recommend this hotel and would certainly return there myself. Have stayed in alot worse places.

Room Tip: Ground floor corner room at the back very quiet.
5  Thank Jan0512

Reviewed October 11, 2012

Hotel prices were through the roof for Fleet Week, but the Grant Hotel provided rooms for a reasonable price in an excellent location. I personally would not have chosen a better location for the hotel, because it is in the middle of it all. It's only a few minutes away from Union Square and Nob Hill and Chinatown. It's about a 25-30 minute walk to Fisherman's Wharf, which is not bad because on the way you will walk through Chinatown and Northbeach which has great places to grab a bite. I was a bit concerned after reading the negative reviews, but SF is an old city with older accommodations. Grant Hotel was definitely basic, but it was clean. It felt like I was staying in an apartment. We only were in the room to sleep, so basic was all we needed. I didn't notice the urine smell in the hallways that others mentioned, but it does smell like an older apartment (but that's how a lot of the apartments in SF smell like). We skipped the morning breakfast because there are SO many great places to eat in SF. I recommend Mama's in Northbeach (get there early though because people start lining up at 7:30am). If you want lunch or dinner, try Uncle Vito's across the street -- they have great pizza and you can donate $20 to them so the SF Twins can eat there too.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed October 10, 2012

This is in a perfect location! was extremely happy with what we paid for this place.
The rooms are clean and spacious.
We didnt eat the provided breakfast - the coffee was horrible. But with a starbucks on every corner.. who cares.
The only downside was you could hear every noise coming from the room above and next to us at night. I thought there was an elephant above us! :)
Staff are friendly enough, free wi-fi in the reception area too.

Room Tip: perhaps on the top floor so you dont have to listen to anyone above you stomping around.
Reviewed October 9, 2012

Stayed here September 2012 for sight seeing in the city. Ideal location less than 5mins from Union square. Rooms a good size, great big comfy bed. Bath, shower ok, It is basic but ideal as a base to see the city.
Free coffee in the lounge with dougnuts in the morning.
Come out entrance and turn left and walk down to Lauries diner for breakfast. American retro diner, food amazing. A two minute walk!

Would stay here again, had a great time in a great city.

Reviewed October 9, 2012

Grant Hotel is great located very close to Union square in downstown SF. The rooms are simple but have all you need. Internet connection is available free of charge in the lobby and if you want it in the room it will cost you 7 dollar per day. The staff very friendly and helpful, breakfast was included but was very simple and consisted of cakes and coffee.

If you want a basic hotel located in downtown this a good choice.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled with friends
Reviewed October 6, 2012

We stayed for 2 days in June. Hotel is handily located and we were able to walk down town or catch the tram at the end of the street and go out to the Pier. Rooms are old and ours had no outlook, however they are tidy and have sufficient room. Breakfast was provided but we thought it was a bit skimpy with just muffins and pastries and there was a shortage of places to sit. Overall still adequate accommodation reasonably priced compared to others in the same area. Would stay again.

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed October 4, 2012

I stayed a few nights during the Nike Women's Marathon weekend in October 2011. The location was perfect as I walked everywhere. I was able to check in early and then leave my bags after checkout as well. Nothing glamorous here people, but it worked very well for my budget-minded self as I was traveling alone.

Yes, the room was small, but the closet was huge and it had everything I needed for my stay. No ice machine was a bit of a pain as I was constantly needing to ice my knee, but the guys at the italian restaurant down the street were awesome enough to fill up a bag for me.

I loved checking out the restaurants on the same street and around the corner. I really enjoyed my trip to San Fran all around.

• Stayed: November 2011, traveled solo