“Three night stay” 3 of 5 stars

Ranked #200 of 236 Hotels in San Francisco
Liverpool, United Kingdom
“Three night stay”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 21, 2014

This was our fourth stop on a 14 night Usa trip and i had booked it on price really and the fact it had free parking as i found most other hotels in San fran to be really expensive. Our first impressions where not that great the receptionist wasn't friendly at all and the appearance of the place is very rundown. The stairway up to the room is horrible dirty carpet, paint chipped walls etc, wasnt really looking forward to seeing the room, but i have to say we found the room to be quite clean and adequate. Its not luxury at all but we all slept really well here. Its a very basic place so don't expect much but then again i suppose you get what you pay for!! Its right next to the beach and the tram stops right outside so we found it easy to get around. The coffee shop on the corner does great pastries etc for breakfast. The parking was ok but i did return one time to find my space taken and only compact spaces left which weren't big enough for my huge American SUV however i parked in two and didn't have a problem. Over all it was just ok, we loved San Francisco and would definately go back but think we would look for a different hotel.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled with family
    • 2 of 5 stars
2 Thank RachelH64

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (19)
Clovis, CA
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 1, 2014 via mobile

Like an earlier reviewer, I think I'm finally done with the Oceanview. We've stayed there a dozen times over the last 6 years, but I'm not going back. We booked a week in a queen suite while my husband was in San Francisco for surgery. When we checked in they sent us to a tiny, dark, dirty back room with two queens and not even enough room to put down luggage. The window was adjacent to the neighboring building's stairway and didn't lock. The non-locking fire escape door was right outside. The wifi didn't reach. When we told the clerk this was NOT the room we reserved we just got a head wobble. I finally told my husband I didn't feel safe staying there alone while he was in the hospital. At his insistence, we were moved to a front corner room. Large, light, and cleaner (but still not clean) although the window still didn't lock. At least this one opened onto a sheer wall.

There has been a dramatic increase in the number of homeless in the area, and there were 2-3 in the parking lot every time I came down. They routinely tried the door to the stairs. I didn't want go think about what they did if they got in. Two of the mornings I saw homeless looking men leaving early, meaning they either got the cash together for the night, snuck in to sleep in the hallway, or the night manager was renting empty rooms cheap if it was late. I'm guessing the third.

One of the things I've always liked was the proximity to the Java Beach Cafe and the ability to spend the evening there with the eclectic crowd. That crowd has now crossed over to more homeless and definitely creepy. I spent two evenings there with my husband, but wouldn't go back alone, a first for me. I was the only woman there both nights and the creep factor was high. The price of a cup of coffee gives a not quite right street person an evening of warmth and internet. It was a little like the shelter, but with beer and music.

I've been a big OVM supporter in the past - easy transportation, coffee next door, free parking, low room rates. No more. There are better, safer, cleaner places. I'd rather pay for parking. The increase in the homeless and the decline in cleanliness both turn me off.

Stayed March 2014, traveled on business
1 Thank mgg1234

Travelers are raving about these San Francisco hotels

San Blas, Mexico
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 2, 2014

Made the mistake of staying at the Oceanview once, I will never stay there again!
People were up yelling and screaming and ranting and raving all night long!
We went out for dinner came back to find all the parking stalls in the motel were taken!
As it turns out all the parking stalls were taking by partygoers on the same floor we were on.
I reiterate, can you say dump?
The only good thing about the place was, they had no bedbugs.

Room Tip: Don't go to the Oceanview go to the Ocean Park Motel down by the zoo. A class place well kept no...
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
West Jordan, Utah, United States
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 27, 2014

My father was in the hospital and it was the nearest place to stay....it was terrible!! There were 4 of us and we all woke up covered in bed big bites!! I would not recommend it. It was very dirty, our heater didn't work so we were freezing...not a great experience.

• Stayed February 2014
1 Thank Chantell C
Arlington,VA
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 4, 2014

The Ocean View Motel at 4340 Judah in San Francisco is an older motel with free parking and good prices. It does need some sprucing up, but there are NO BED BUGS, get over it, There is also a friendly staff to assist you...This motel is right at the beach in Outer Sunset. The N Judah Streetcar takes you right to it or to down town. There are numerous great restaurants nearby, THAI COTTAGE, THANH LONG and OUTERLANDS, and Golden Gate Indian....there are boutiques all along the last blocks of Judah and a cool market and 7-11 too. However, the Gem of Judah is the JAVA BEACH Coffee Shop....Trouble Coffee up Judah 2 blocks is good too, but expensive, no DECAF there......book the OVM and you won't be disappointed, it's not fancy, but it IS clean. John,, Arlington,VA

Room Tip: Choose a top floor FRONT room, and don't worry about the trolley noise, you get used to it....SE...
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled solo
    • 2 of 5 stars
2 Thank Taoseno
Harrogate, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 24, 2013 via mobile

We stayed 2 nights here, I wish we hadn't.
Before you even get to the room you are presented with a poor reception area, awful stair case to the rooms. The bedroom had a light missing, bare wires, mouldy bathroom ceiling, lampshade soaked in coffee. Although the tram outside is incredibly handy its also incredibly noisy and runs all night. No one tells you this!!
Housekeeping at 6pm was very odd.
Tried to ask a question at receotion but no one came when I rang the bell.
This motel was not cheap and was really not worth the money.

Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank frankalways29
Tel Aviv, Israel
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 23, 2013

We recently spent 2 nights at this San Francisco location. It was the first time we stayed in the Sunset area which turned out to be a good choice. The property is situated a few minutes walk from the beach and around 10 minutes walk from the Golden Gate Park. It is also on the bus route providing easy and convenient access to the downtown area. The staff did whatever they could to make our stay as enjoyable as possible. The facility itself has seen better days and I suggest the owners do something changing the carpets and brightening up the hotel. The hotel wasn't cheap. Having said that, the prices were comparable with the other motels in the area.

Room Tip: Ask for a room in the rear of the hotel. It is much quieter.
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
Twin Peaks Hotel
Twin Peaks Hotel
#179 of 236 in San Francisco
3.0 of 5 stars 41 reviews
Laurel Inn, a Joie de Vivre hote...
#90 of 236 in San Francisco
4.0 of 5 stars 399 reviews
Marina District
Knights Inn San Francisco / Near the Presidio
Knights Inn San Francisco / Near...
#169 of 236 in San Francisco
3.0 of 5 stars 80 reviews

Been to Oceanview Motel? Share your experiences!