“Decent place has gone downhill”
Review of Oceanview Motel

Oceanview Motel
Ranked #199 of 228 Hotels in San Francisco
Carson City, Nevada
“Decent place has gone downhill”
Reviewed November 28, 2011

I've been staying at the Ocean View Motel for over 10 years. An exceptionally nice Indian couple ran the place for a long time but left after a major upgrade several years ago. New windows, door locks, refrigerators and microwaves were added I believe in 2007 or so. Unfortunately the couple left and and the new staff, who are also Indian, have let the place really become run down and dirty. In the past the sheets, towels and bathrooms were spotless. On my last visit the formerly white towels were a dingy gray color and there was mold growing in the bathroom. The room appeared to be very dusty and generally grungy.

I won't be staying at the Ocean View again. It's too bad, it has a great location with the N line train, Java Beach Cafe and Ocean Beach just across the street. Plus free parking. A real bargain for SF but the lack of cleanliness is a deal killer for me.

Stayed October 2011, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Ktraveler505

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (20)
Ione, California
Reviewed October 13, 2011

ok first of all the room was big. For San Francisco this was a big room. Also in room coffee and fridge and microwave and free parking and the Muni picks up right in front. That's where the good ends. It seems like the owners of this place are just plain lazy and don't want to invest any time and money to keep this place up. The parking had weeds, the halls and stair ways and the room need a good coat of paint. The paint is peeling, chipped and marked up. The sheets were so worn out you could see through them. The towels were also worn out. The silicone around the bath tub was moldy and the carpets were fraying at the seams.

When we arrived in the lobby there was a person sitting in the corner behind the glass and just sat there as we stood at the window. after about 30 to 45 seconds he stood up to help us.

To me all this just points out to pure laziness. These people don't deserve business and won't be getting mine again. I have stayed in other motels in S.F. for around the same price and less, that were better taken care of than this place.

Room Tip: king sized room was large
  • Stayed October 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Bear C

Travelers are raving about these San Francisco hotels

Rochdale, UK
Reviewed July 14, 2011

I think the main reason we booked this hotel for our stay in San Francisco was the fact that it had free parking. We were staying in San Francisco for three nights as part of a larger three week road trip so saving money on parking was a plus. The hotel cost just over $100 a night for our room for 2 adults which seemed relatively cheap based on other hotel process we found when looking at San Francisco (especially when factoring in the free parking).

I’d say the room and hotel itself was quite average. When we first got there we checked in and had no problems. Our room was upstairs so we took our luggage with us. At first I was a little worried as the corridors in the hotel were tatty – very old looking and could do with a renovation. There was also the strong smell of curry coming from the corridor upstairs (although I like curries so this was not a problem – just made me hungry haha!). We expected the room to be quite downtrodden like the corridors, but were pleasantly surprised when we opened the door. The room was nicer inside! Our room was huge too – it had a king sized bed, desk and chair (quite a big one), fridge and microwave, bathroom (bath / shower / toilet) and areas to store luggage etc. It had all of the usual amenities, but with lots of space to get around the room too! I’d say I would happily stay in the room again.

With regards to the location of the hotel it is definitely close to the beaches, but far away from the main ‘attractions’ that seem to draw people in (Pier 39, Union Sq, Alcatraz etc). Other reviews say that this hotel is right outside the last stop of line N - Judah Street tram. I saw the tram, but we did not use it ourselves as it was just as easy to use the car & park in the city (approx $10 a day in various lots). Check out was quick and simple too.

I’d recommend this hotel as a basic stay – it was by no means a luxury stop, but it did its job!

Stayed June 2011, traveled as a couple
2 Thank klee_baker
Frankfurt
Reviewed January 2, 2011

I stayed for 3 days and chose this motel because of its location (it's the last stop of line N - Judah Street) but mainly because of free parking which is quite rare in San Francisco. The car was parked safely and with line N you could go directly to Market/Powell which was very convenient. I cannot say a lot about staff as I did not see much of them, however housekeeping changed towels daily and there was nothing to complain about. The room was clean, the bed was comfortable and the TV and fridge worked just fine. There was a strange smell of Indian Food in the corridor and the carpets in the hall were not very clean, but I tried to ignore it. I never felt uncomfortable or unsafe in the neighbourhood.

• Stayed September 2010, traveled solo
2 Thank sunsetd
san francisco
Reviewed November 25, 2010

We called and told them we were arriving earlier than expected, around 2am. Check-in time is at 11am and we were told that's fine, you can ring the night bell and check in early & we won't charge you. We get to the window and the same guy I talked to the night before says, "I'm sorry you were misinformed but if you wanna check in now you have to pay for another night". We checked in only because it was in the middle of the night and we didn't have anywhere else to go...we get to the room...there's a weird, mildew like odor. The linens were worn and smelled. All of the pillow cases had stains, the towels were dingy and most of the threads loose, and we didn't want to take our socks off because the carpet was a little suspect too. Luckily we brought a sleeping bag, so we laid it out over the bed and pillows and just blasted the heater (the one thing that was decent about the place) The tv and fridge didn't work, even though the fridge looked new. There's no direct ocean view and you can hear everything going on outside. There are plenty of other motels with similar/comparable pricing. We switched to another motel a few blocks down and its a remarkably HUGE difference and we're paying the same price per night. I would never stay here again and don't reccomend it, even if you just need a place to sleep...driving for hours and being exhausted still didn't make me wanna sleep there.

• Stayed November 2010, traveled with family
1 Thank gunbunny
eureka, ca
Reviewed March 25, 2010

Was traveling to SF for a medical appointment with my grandchildren and we walked into the room and walked out. The room smelled, there was black mold on the curtains and would not have felt comfortable taking my shoes off. Avoid this place as it is not suitable for small children, the room looked worn, the floors were dirty and there were poop stains in the toilet. Hopefully the program that paid for this room did not get charged but I would guess that they probably still charged for the room. AVOID THIS PLACE!

• Stayed March 2010, traveled with family
previse
Reviewed February 22, 2010

This is a 50s era motel in fair condition. Our room had reasonably new furniture and had been painted within the last two or three years. We were in “mini suite” which is actually a good sized motel room with a small microwave and refrigerator. The Ocean View Motel is adequate if you need to stay in San Francisco on a limited budget. Our room was about $90. Including parking, downtown would cost a lot more.

The motel smells musty with an overtone of old cigarette smoke. It’s dingy. Room maintenance is sketchy. The shower handle was loose, making it impossible to get a warm shower. The TV didn’t work, and there was unpleasant looking brown stuff spattered on the bathroom wall. The shower curtain was moldy, and there wasn’t any Kleenex. They have wi fi internet assess that works, but so slowly that it’s almost not worth the trouble. We had no closet or anywhere to hang clothing. The bathroom had no robe hook.

I found it a little unsettling that the reception desk is protected by bullet-proof glass. Walking to a nearby restaurant we saw police attending to a man with blood running down the side of his head. In short, I wouldn’t be comfortable going back to this motel or this neighborhood.

• Stayed February 2010, traveled as a couple
Twin Peaks Hotel
#164 of 228 in San Francisco
Americas Best Value Inn
#5 of 6 in Pacifica
Rodeway Inn & Suites San Francis...
#158 of 228 in San Francisco

Been to Oceanview Motel? Share your experiences!