“Charming small B&B for a great price!”
Review of Hayes Valley Inn

Hayes Valley Inn
Ranked #13 of 72 San Francisco B&B and Inns
Reviewed March 21, 2014

My husband, I, son and daughter in law stayed for one Saturday night. We had two rooms on the third floor and were just delighted. The Inn is a charming very European style B&B in the charming Hayes Valley neighborhood. The hotel was immaculate throughout. The rooms, while on the small side, have a sink in the room with the toilets down the hall. My family never had to wait for the use of the facilities either. The reception is very friendly, especially Dennis, a really nice guy. My family would never hesitate to stay there again. I think we've found our "go-to" home away from home in the city!

• Stayed: March 2014, traveled with family
1  Thank Jennifer W

Reviewed February 25, 2014

Our stay in Hayes Valley Inn was very nice. The rooms have a special flair and are very clean! Negative to mention is the loud and noisy street. Even with closed windows it is very loud, the windows have no noise protection. And often the wifi kicked me out. The bathroom is very small, but it's ok, as well as the lavatories. The breakfast is very European and delicious, with fruits, different kinds of bread and muffins e.g.. After 4p.m., there are free coffee and tea as well as cookies provided. The personnel was very friendly and helpful. All in all, the price for the room is ok.

Room Tip: at booking: ask for a room not located on the street side
  • Stayed: February 2014, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Pamina2014
Reviewed February 17, 2014

We stayed here in March 2013 for three nights.
The room aswell as the Hotel was clean. The common bathroom was also very clean at all times.
In our eyes the room was big enough.
As far as I rember there are no rooms which don't have a window to the street. This can be a problem for people who wake up at the slightest noise due that the traffic starts around 5 a.m.
Be aware that there is no lift.
These are the little cons.
The Location is verry good. Close to the Hotel there are Bars and Restaurant at a descent quality. Two blocks away you catch "the hop-on-hop-bus" aswell as as public transportation.
The breakfast has a large varitey of all kinds of food and the coffee is above average.
Last but not least the staff is outstanding. Always patient, friendly and helpfull.
We got more than we expected. At this price we recommend this Hotel

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank INKA97
Reviewed February 3, 2014

Spent two nights in room 311 at the Hayes Valley Inn January 30 and 31st 2014. The Inn was exactly as other Tripadvisor reviewers had describe it; clean, friendly, and convenient. I purchased a 3 ballet subscription to the San Francisco Ballet and to cut travel costs, I decided to try the Hayes Valley Inn based on all the positive Tripadvisor reviews. I was so happy with my stay, I have booked my February and March dates. I have stayed at the Argonaut, the Inn at the Opera, Parc 55, and a few other high end hotels, and I am happy to say, my experience at the Hayes Valley Inn was on par or better than those hotels. Please remember, it is an old school euro-style shared bathroom and shower down the hall B&B, so know that going in and don't mark them down because of it as several reviewers have done.

Room Tip: No elevator, so if stairs are a concern, request a room on the first floor
  • Stayed: January 2014, traveled solo
3  Thank SharonD282
Reviewed January 15, 2014

Traveling recently in December 2013, I was able to more than survive 16 hours in transit in spending my arrival afternoon and first night in San Francisco recovering very well from 9 time zones by having the good fortune to stay in Hayes Valley Inn. The Manager,her personnel, all very helpful and attentive made my first hours in their little hotel a real pleasure.Where does one find a courtesy tea with sweets daily in today's hotels? The hotel has much atmosphere of San Francisco a hundred years ago with its historic interior decoration . A pleasant stroll in the immediate neighborhood revealed that Hayes Valley deserves its reputation as a creative and lively area. Highly-recommended, as 'the price is right', the location ..prima.! the hotel staff wonderful !

Room Tip: ask for a room not near a heating/cooling outlet of an adjacent restaurant. Follow the excellent an...
  • Stayed: December 2013, traveled solo
Reviewed January 14, 2014

The Hayes Valley Inn is a 10 minute stroll from the BART Civic Center station which is on a direct line to the International Airport (go straight down Grove Street and Gough Street is 2nd left after you have crossed Van Ness Avenue) and is a convenient base from which to see the major attractions of this delightful city.
My room was immaculately clean and tastefully furnished with a really comfortable bed and a fast and reliable WiFi connection. Breakfast was of limited choice but excellent quality - the bagels were right up there with the best I have ever tasted. You can also get complimentary afternoon tea which is served between 16:00 and 19:00 if you are back from exploring.
However, it is the staff which really earn this place a 5 star rating from me - friendly, helpful and endlessly cheerful, they were a living definition of what service should be. The atmosphere was fantastic.

There were a couple of niggles - there are no en suite facilities and the hot water took an age to come through in the morning. Also, the Inn is on quite a busy road and the noise can be a bit intrusive. However, none of the above caused me any real problems.

In summary, this is probably a 3 star establishment in terms of facilities, but a 5 star plus in terms of atmosphere and comfort. I was really made to feel at home and it is one of the few places that I have ever stayedt where I really did not want to leave. If I am ever in San Francisco again, this will be my hotel of choice. Really great value.

• Stayed: January 2014, traveled solo
1  Thank traveller669
Reviewed January 7, 2014

The parking was awful. There is no parking for the hotel and I had to drive around and around the surrounding areas to find a spot. I've been to SF several times so I know parking is tough and expensive and in the past I have only used public transportation. However, we were on a road trip so we just had our car with us. The room was charming. The bed comfortable. The bathrooms were always spotless. They are shared with other people on the floor. It is unusual for an American hotel but don't let it scare you. It is really not a big deal at all. I would definitely go back to the Hayes Valley Inn.

Room Tip: I'm not entirely positive, but I don't recall there being an elevator. We were on the third...
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple