“Perfect place: you can't ask more!”
Review of Hayes Valley Inn

Hayes Valley Inn
Ranked #13 of 72 San Francisco B&B and Inns
Reviewed September 28, 2012

Breakfast is very tasty and big. Muffins, milk, yogurt, cornflakes,orange juice, cold water, fruit, several types of bread and peanut butter and always two kinds of jam. The breakfast room and the parlor aside are so cosy! Tideness is a must. Rooms and bathrooms are spotless. Every day long. The cleaning staff works without rest, My best compliment. Never seen shared bathroom so clean!A comfortable basin in the room. The staff is very helpful except one of them: the older one. He is sometimes lazy. He didn't tell me they had a bike room when he sent me to a place to hire it. I was stolen my bike cause I parked it on the siidewalk just outside the hotel.It's simply unforgivable. That caused me a 200 dollars deposit loss. He delayed to call me a taxi causing me to almost miss the greyhound bus to Salinas. I made notice that to him and he was so rude.location is very central, so close to Opera and some museums, It's in the middle between Civic Center, Market Street by one side and Soma, Castro and Mission by the other. Moreover: Heights with Alamo Square, Buena Vista Park and Golden Gate Park below.All places far for touristic traps. I couldn't believe to my eyes! Wonderful experience that I'll repeat!

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled solo

Reviewed September 24, 2012

My wife and I have stayed here the past three during our yearly football trip. We love everything from the staff to the breakfast. I personally am a fan of the cheese and meat tray. The rooms are clean and the shared bathroom and shower are always clean and fresh. If you are a light sleeper or can be easily awaken via traffic noise you will need to make sure to ask for a room on the backside of the building or in the annex.
All and all I am glad we found this place and I will continue to return.

Room Tip: The Torret room gives you a little extra space at the end of the hall. 307 is the best.
1  Thank neilwilsonvoice
Reviewed September 24, 2012

We were in the external building (Ivy Street). That building is in front of a construction site - didn't bother us since we're heavy sleepers. the room was excellent, so were the shared bathroom and all else in the building itself.
The breakfast was good, the staff was really friendly.
The location is OK, but there are good and bad streets around. very close to Van Ness station (7 min walk).
A Good price for a good BnB.

Reviewed September 24, 2012

Went for our yearly visit to SF and stayed for our third time at Hayes Valley Inn. We love this bed & breakfast. They've got a lovely continental breakfast with ham and cheese, fruit bowl, assorted breads and jams, cereal, yogurt, orange juice and milk.
We normally leave the windows open during the day and by the time we get back to our room, it is late and our room is nice and chilly. We close the window so it is quieter at night. The hotel does have ear plugs for you to use b/c of the street noise.

Room Tip: Try and get a room opposite the street so it is a little quieter. But if you can't score a room...
Reviewed September 11, 2012

My friend and I had reservations at this place for 4 nights. We told clerk we are senior citizens and were looking for a safe place. He told us about the shared bathroom and bunk beds to which we had no objection. Upon our arrival , at 8 PM, we were given a set of keys and told to go around the corner to the annex. This annex is located in a dark, narrow alley in front of a construction site with no connection to the main building. We went back and forth , up and down, 3 times, carrying our luggage, between the main section and the annex as the keys would not open the entry door. Finally, the clerk requested assistance from a maintenance man, who also could not open the door. We were left again in the alley, lugging our luggage to the main entrance. We demanded another room and to speak to the manager. The clerk told us that they were totally booked and no other room was available. We demanded to be booked at another hotel. After waiting for 45 minutes, the clerk showed us to a room in the same floor as the reception area which she offered to us for our stay. The manager never showed up or apologized for this situation. What angered us the most was the lie regarding room availability and the lack of response from management.
Besides the above complaint, the place is clean, staff friendly and breakfast is plentiful and varied. If you drive, be advised that parking is a huge problem. But you can park at the covered parking in the corner. Do not park in the uncovered parking, it is a rip off,

Room Tip: Make sure you ask whether or not your room is in the annex or the main building
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled with friends
2  Thank careerarm2
Reviewed August 14, 2012

My girlfriend and I stayed here for four nights and I have almost nothing but nice things to say about the place. Location wise, you're a 5-10 minute walk to the 47 bus which will take you to all of the major tourist spots. Excellent breakfast AND an afternoon tea time from 4 to 10 with cookies and tea. What a great idea! The woman who owns the place is very kind and helpful as are the staff members.
Rooms are very clean and attractive. Only drawbacks: one shower for each floor. If you stay here, don't wait until 8 in the morning to take a shower. It WILL be occupied. Also, if you're here on a romantic getaway, the walls are very thin and (not to be too risque) but the beds squeak like crazy! Haha. I think you know what I'm talking about. I heard at least two other couples having a a pretty good time as I walked to the bathroom. Other than that, I would recommend this place to anyone. I will definitely be staying here again in the future.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Daniel D
Reviewed August 8, 2012

Visited San Fransico and stayed here for two nights. The price was $115 per night and it provided your basic needs. My friend and I were given a room in the second part of the inn just around the corner from the main entrance. It was in a safe area. Clean environment. Shared bathrooms. Small tv. The room was nice though. Two beds and good fit in the room.
The breakfast was excellent I thought! It's in a little kitchen like area and people staying at the inn gather to eat in the area. Wide variety of food and all are really good.
Great for the price!