“Sweet and simple”

Cuisines: Cafe
Dining options: Breakfast
Neighborhood: Marina District
Reviewed January 13, 2013

La Boulange is locate in Little Italy area of SF. You can reach here using a bus or public transportation. Close to downtown SF. It is a cafe with simple tables and chairs. The food served is Italian, which is different from what your get elsewhere. It makes me think may be it is more close to authentic. The food was fresh and good to taste. We loved the simple soups they served us with garlic bread. Little family owned business doing well striving to maintain authenticity. The food is not too costly. Many of the customers we saw were Europeans, which gave us an indication of its credibility being close to authentic. The also have a recorder running where you can insert 25cents to play your favorite Italian or old time English songs. Great old fashion type cafe.

There are newer reviews for La Boulange

Reviewed January 6, 2013

The great coffee in a bowl, the croisants and bagels are awesome. Good for breakfast. There is more than one in town, the best is near Union square.

Reviewed December 31, 2012

My husband and I took a break from shopping in this lovely restaurant. My husband had a smoked salmon open-faced sandwich which he really liked. I had the best tuna melt sandwich ever. It had apples and tomatoes under the cheese. What a treat!

Reviewed December 29, 2012

I had the chicken and mushroom open faced sandwich. It was basically cream of chicken with mushrooms on toast. It was somehow familiar and comforting, but nothing impressive. I also had a glass of tea. The tea was disappointing--a tea bag in a glass with warm water--lame compared to the cappuccinos they were turning out. The pastries also looked impressive. I wish I had caved and gotten one.

Reviewed December 26, 2012

This cafe was close to our hotel. We had trouble trying to find something healthy to eat for breakfast without eating bagels and donuts which seemed to be everywhere! We finally sat down to eat at lunch time and found La Boulange. We had a wonderful chicken leg casserole braised with mushrooms on a bed of brown rice with good coffee (without all the cream on top!). Their biscuits and breads are beautifully baked, and should not be missed.