“Terrific Wienerschnitzel and Apfelstrudel!”
Review of Leopold's

Leopold's
Reserve with OpenTable
Leopold's is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #125 of 6,305 Restaurants in San Francisco
Cuisines: Austrian, German, International
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Neighborhood: Russian Hill
Reviewed May 4, 2015

Great atmosphere, service and food. Large beer menu and serve cider which is a plus for me. Will definitely return next time I'm in San Francisco.

Date of visit: April 2015

Reviewed April 24, 2015 via mobile

This place is great. I've only been here twice, but I loved it each time. The decor may be a little gratuitous (waiters/waitresses in lederhosen and dirndls), but the food is great.

Don't look at the menu, just order the weiner schnitzel with lingon berries. It was great both times I had it and it will be great for you.

If you still have room (or even if you don't) get the apple strudel, which was also delicious. I plan to come back many more times.

1  Thank Chris M
Reviewed April 18, 2015

My only regret is that I was unable to return here for another meal

It was a long walk from the financial district, up and down San Francisco's hills so my appetite was reenforced. There were only a few folks who reached the restaurant before I did and I was invited to sit anywhere. The restaurant has rather large booths, a few large tables and upholstered seating along one wall with chairs in companion positions. I was looking to quench my sizable thirst and asked for the darkest beer on tap, I believe I was served Spaten Optimators in half liter steins. Their list of barleypops is more than adequate. My waitress sensed the sun was somewhat bothersome and lowered the blinds covering the storefront windows a wee bit, perfect service, artful and attentive.

The appetizers intrigued me but their price made them prohibitive, I was afraid they might be too large for a single diner and it was too warm for soup of any kind. I had my heart set on Wiener Schnitzel for dinner and was surprised it was pork as most often when encountered on a menu it has been veal. The waitress mentioned that lamb shank was a special of the day. My dream is shattered, I must have lamb shank whenever it is offered.

As I wait and quaff the Optimator elixir, I notice the restaurant is becoming more crowded and louder. I spy and smell a sausage appetizer, it was grand in appearance and it had an aromatic scent. My meal arrives and the shank is accompanied by Gratin and Spinach. The gratin is similar to a cheese and potato napoleon, it was spectacularly simple in flavor and presentation. The spinach was hidden underneath the ambrosial shank that was covered in a brown gravy with chunks of carrot. Perfectly cooked, the tender and moist meat came off the bone easily, the spinach and gratin were the perfect accompaniments. My plate was whisked away at the perfect time, the only thing that remained was a bone as clean as if I has sucked it dry.

Upon her graceful return, the waitress proffered the menu and asked if I wanted desert. You have four from which to choose and I chose the strudel. This masterpiece sits atop vanilla sauce and a dollop of whipped cream clings to its side. After one bite I told the waitress to slap anyone who ordered this delicacy with ice cream! Don't sully a good strudel! Its perfection lies within itself alone. As I exited, the only table available was the one I had recently vacated. As I took my leave I told the waitress I would be back the next day for a schnitzel, sadly and with great regret, my schedule did not permit a return to Leopold's during this visit to San Francisco.

Date of visit: April 2015
1  Thank wood_brothers21
Reviewed March 19, 2015

Read a lot of good reviews before going to Leopold's in March 2015. Atmosphere and food were really good. Even had a chance to practice german language with our server. Highly recommended.

Date of visit: March 2015
Reviewed March 10, 2015 via mobile

I little taste of Germany, Austria and eastern Europe right here in San Francisco. Had the house sausage appetizer, Weiner schnitzel and dark German beer and left completely satisfied with a huge smile. Will definitely go back and recommend this place to all. All the dishes looked excellent and the atmosphere is authentic.