WINNER WONDERLAND

Ranked #15 of 230 Hotels in San Francisco
Carmichael, California
“Great Time”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 12, 2010

Extended our time by staying here one night. Enjoyed the happy hour and the great breakfast the next morning. Staff as usual very helpful. Enjoyed the city and the cable cars. Room was nice and with a corner we had two sets of windows we could open to hear the sounds of the city and get a nice breeze.

• Stayed May 2010, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
mallengm, General Manager at Marines Memorial Club Hotel, responded to this review, June 4, 2010
Thank you so much for taking the time to send a positive review of Marines' Memorial. Your patronage is very much appreciated. We will continue to work hard to earn your kind words and support.
Michael Allen, General Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (169)
  • Korean first
Jersey City, New Jersey
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 11, 2010

Stayed at the Marines Memorial Hotel last week for a 3-day conference. At first I didn't know what to expect from a military hotel and we (with wife and kid) were all pleasantly surprised. As soon as we walked in the lobby, the security staff (Troy, big, tall guy -- made my wife feel secure right away) welcomed us to the club, didn't leave out our 3 year old by talking to him, asking him about his toy cars, very friendly. The front desk manager checked us in and made sure we knew about the free full buffet breakfast (not just a continental breakfast) and happy hour that came with our room rate, free gym, "free internet" (big plus for my family, even for my 3 year old); manager also mentioned the special discount for the Rat Pack show playing in their theatre; (they have a theatre in the hotel). We had dinner at the Club Steakhouse on the top floor (great view of the city), I had the Ribeye Steak and my wife had the Prime Rib, must say, it mimicked the quality (not the price) of Peter Luger's Steak House! Even my son's baked mac n cheese was superb. My wife asked for the recipe and the staff happily obliged (the next day a copy of the recipe printed on the club's magazine was delivered to our room). Needless to say the service was incredible! The manager came by a couple of times to make sure we're enjoying ourselves, our server was very attentive, filling up our wine and water glasses. The hotel's really nice. Our room had 2 queen beds, the room has a/c, nice new furniture and the fridge is stocked with free bottled water (free bottled water! if you travel as much as i do, you know it's a plus not to pay $4 for a bottle of water). They have a beautiful library and a memorial wall of soldiers who died in the recent war (this area of the hotel is really something else). I attended my conference the next 3 days and for what I paid to attend the conference, the food provided exceeded my expectations and any other conference I have attended to date. For breakfast the conference package served smoked salmon, bagels, cheese spreads, assortments of pastries, muffins, yogurts, different fruit juices and more. For lunch, the hotel served a Mexican themed buffet the first day because of Cinco de Mayo (i thought that was very creative); we had a buffet of chocolate cookies, brownies, truffles, frappuccinos, sodas and coffee for afternoon break (i believe to keep us awake the rest of the conference); we had more food, buffets of appetizers at the networking reception after the first day of conference, the hotel served us sangria, beer, wine... (it's unbelievable), and that's just the first day. The next 2 days did not disappoint. The meeting rooms are very nice, good room temperature, really high ceilings and very unique decor, not like the many beige wall meeting rooms I've seen over the years. My wife and son were also well taken care of by the staff at breakfast and were recommended several things to do around the city during the day while I was in meeting all day. My son enjoyed the visit to Ghirardelli ice cream and chocolate shop, visit to the Academy of Sciences. My wife enjoyed shopping at Union Square (just 2 blocks from the hotel). I also managed to catch an 8pm show of the Sandy Hackett's Rat Pack (Buddy Hackett's son, funny guy) with a few colleagues and had a great time! I highly recommend this show. The cast did meet and greet after the show. It was over all a very packed 4-day trip, the conference could not have gone better, great food, great hotel, the staff, outstanding! We had a great experience at this hotel and we'll definitely visit again for a family vacation!

• Stayed May 2010, traveled on business
1 Thank KevWalk
Pembroke Pines, Florida
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 10, 2010

we recently had a great experience staying at the Marines’ Memorial Club in downtown San Francisco. I found the place unexpectedly, searching for something a bit different in the Union Square area. My whole family has served in the US Military at one time or another and I was curious about the Marines’ Memorial and what it had to offer.
Well, you dont have to be in the military to stay there. I have to tell you it’s a great find, next to Union Square and the cable cars, with wonderful staff and nice guestrooms. While it’s true the rooms aren’t as glitzy and glamorous as some of the hotels, they are spacious and comfortable, scrupulously clean and with all the amenities like free Internet, flat screen TV’s and the best thing a terrific breakfast buffet with EVERYTHING you could want PLUS two hours of happy hour every day. What a steal! And, as if that isn’t enough, you get access to a really terrific health club. To top it off, there’s a live pianist that plays most nights in the top floor restaurant and steakhouse. It’s a terrific restaurant with a reasonably priced menu, lots of choices and fantastic views of downtown and Union Square. I would recommend this facility to anyone interested in something a bit unique with some history, ambiance and really nice people that work there.

• Stayed May 2010, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Gator-Globe-Trotter
New York City, New York
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 23, 2010

Tiny, dark dirty rooms that looked like your granmothers apartment in 1952. Horrible mattress and sheets and towels that seemed like they have been in the room since 1952.

Customer service is horrible.

Overall awful place...good location but that is really about all.

• Stayed April 2010, traveled on business
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
9 Thank biztrvlr89
Toronto, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 26, 2010

This place is a gem. Not as much for the rooms, which are a bit worn out, but because of the location, history, hospitality and great staff. The rooms are basic and with a 1960s brown and beige I was on business, for the US governement, so on top of the federal government rate I received a further discount as a member of the Canadian Forces Reserve and saved Uncle Sam a lot of money.

When I checked in there was an odd smell, to the room, an ionizer running and all the windows were open. I must have got used to the smell but upon my return the next afternoon, the smell was stronger. Without any fuss I was moved to an equivalent room.

The staff were warm and friendly. The library, on the 11 floor, is well worth the stay. The breakfast buffet, which is included, is excellent.

A full private membership gym, with up to date equipment, is located in the basement.

Would I stay here again - yes - and plan to this summer.

• Stayed March 2010, traveled on business
1 Thank pentangle
Hawaii
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 21, 2010

Our 3-night stay was surprisingly nice--I thought Union Square would be overpriced and touristy-lame. As retired military we joined the club to get a price break and reciprocity for other military hotels--the hotel staff tells you the break-even point for yr stay. Our 2-double bed room was not especially roomy but we were able to fit in a cot for our 3rd child at no charge. Housekeeping was quite cheery about our requests for extra towels, etc., and the room was tidied nicely. The breakfast buffet was everything other reviewers have mentioned, and a super way to start the day. The kids discovered the delights of strawberry cheese blintzes one morning.
The room didn't seem tired, though it was a bit dusty. I thought the bathroom was fine. Other good things: the large soap/shampoo/condit. dispensers in the shower, good thermostat control, free wi-fi in room, nice views, comfy reading chair, convenient location, 6am coffee & scones in business center. We walked 5 blocks to Market & Powell where we found the SF visitor center (very helpful), and SF Shopping Centre (big mall w/ pretty good food court). It's an easy place to catch the cable car, BART & Muni (bus) around town. We took the Muni to Golden Gate park very easily (the CA Academy of Science rocked!).
I can't think of a reason NOT to stay at the hotel again. Beautiful, historic, convenient, great price, and a friendly staff. When we checked in I mentioned that our hospitality card only noted 4 and I would need to purchase a buffet ticket for my 3rd child. She waved that off, changed the ticket to 2 adults and 3 kids, and off we went to our room. So great.
p.s. There's a dress code for dinner, not unreasonable. Street noise was a problem for the light sleepers.

• Stayed March 2010, traveled with family
Stafford, Virginia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 13, 2010

The Marines Memorial Club (MMC) is a definite-must for active duty military personnel who wants to visit San Francisco. The daily rate was unbeatable and their service is "the example." The majority of people staying at the MMC during our time there seemed were civilians (non-military), so this is a great value for them too. Good location - one block from a cable car stop, and an Avis rental location is a block away too. Walking distance to the financial district / waterfront and Union Square. We only ate breakfast at the MMC but it was satisfactory, typical buffet menu with a gorgeous view of the city. One thing to consider - the MMC is an older building so the typical amenities of a newer hotel aren't there. There was only one outlet in each corner of the room, and small size of the sink and the water pressure in the shower was sub-par. All in all the MMC's service more than make up for these small inadequacies. I would recommend the MMC to any civilian or military traveler, active duty or retiree and I would gladly stay here again.

• Stayed March 2010, traveled as a couple