“Outstanding”

Marines Memorial Club Hotel
Ranked #16 of 230 Hotels in San Francisco
Reviewed March 10, 2014

My wife & I stayed here 3 nights on our way up from Carmel & Monterrey. Excellent service & outstanding value, felt right at home even though I was a British soldier and not a US Marine. Perfect location although a little busy in the evenings in the surrounding neighbourhood.

Semper Fi.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple
mallengm, General Manager at Marines Memorial Club Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded March 29, 2014

Thank you so very much for your very kind review. We appreciate your support and continued patronage.

There are newer reviews for Marines Memorial Club Hotel

Reviewed February 26, 2014

I love your memorial wall. I have friends on that wall that will never be forgotten because of your exceptional vision and commitment to our Troops.
Your hotel is immaculate. Nothing out of place and clean as a whistle.
I rave to all my friends about your breakfast offering.
The piano, the happy hour and the cuisine are all top cabin.
But the most wonderful thing about our Marines Memorial Club is the SERVICE.
There is no mission too difficult, no challenge too great.
The staff at the Marine Club are extraordinary in their attention to detail and care of the guests.
Thank you for another rewarding, memorable experience.

• Stayed: February 2014, traveled on business
2  Thank MarkGrgurich
Reviewed February 23, 2014

I had the great fortune of attending a wedding at the Marines Memorial Club Hotel last night, and then stayed over that evening. What a gorgeous, unique place! You can feel the history, right now to the comically short shower heads, but all of it works as an experience. The event itself was really great - food was fantastic and the various ballrooms and breakouts were incredible. The room was spotless and really large, and I loved that the windows opened onto the city below. My favorite part of the hotel was definitely the lobby. Plush chairs to sit in, and a general feeling of comfort mixed with stateliness. And, the top floor restaurant happy hour and breakfast were STUNNING due to the city views. Really incredible! Our servers at breakfast were a little curt with us (I got chided for getting my own tea at the tea station, and for bringing my suitcase as I was checking out directly after) but again, it all sort of added to the charm.

One little suggestion for floor 3... more signage for room directions. We were in an offshoot, standalone room that took me about 10 minutes of wandering to find. But even that was kind of fun since it took me past many unique things to read on the walls!

I would definitely stay here again!

Room Tip: Check-in is a late 4 p.m. I went early ( 1 p.m.) and even though the nice check in man said it might...
  • Stayed: February 2014, traveled with friends
Reviewed February 18, 2014

My husband is an active duty Marine & we had a 3 day weekend & decided to visit. Our family of 4 plus our golden retriever had a fantastic time! The room was very clean, nice & comfortable. The free happy hour was great for a tired mommy & daddy! Also the breakfast was wonderful! However the parking was $$$ & they need more help in the bellman department.

• Stayed: February 2014, traveled with family
Reviewed February 14, 2014

Great place. The staff was very friendly and helpful. The beds are super comfortable. There is a lot of road noise on the Sutter St side, even on the 6th floor and the wireless did not work in my room. (My iPad picked it up in other parts of the building and there was a plug-in connection that would work for a laptop.)

The breakfast buffet the best! In addition to a variety of pastry, bagels, muffins, eggs, great scones, potatoes, sausage, etc, you will find chipped beef with biscuits (for military nostalgia) and a special egg dish that is different every day. The quality of everything is excellent. Friendly greetings and service for a nice start to the day.

There is a large library room with military history books and comfortable chairs. There are 2 free laundry rooms and they even offer free detergent at the front desk.

Buses pass the hotel and the cable cars are a block away.

• Stayed: February 2014, traveled with friends
1  Thank snapperblue
Reviewed February 4, 2014

We just held a conference in December 2013 at the Marines’ Memorial Club and Hotel (MMC) and couldn't be more pleased with the outcome. Our group is a small nonprofit professional organization that holds a two-day conference each December. After reaching out to a numerous hotels near Union Square and in the Financial District and South of Market area, we chose the Marine’s Memorial Club for our conferences in 2013, 2014, and 2015. We were looking at a number of factors in deciding where to host the conference: competitive room rates for attendees; good location; reasonable food and beverage minimum charge; good layout for general sessions, breaks, and meals; and a multiyear contract. Not only did we find all of that with MMC, but there were some additional things that made our experience exceptional. The staff at MMC is unparalleled in their helpfulness, friendliness, and welcoming attitude. We worked first with Nicky Broderick, Director of Sales and Marketing, to finalize our contract. She was very patient and accommodating in working out the details for our group. For the event in December, we worked with Milen Orendain, Conference Services Manager, who was incredibly responsive and helpful. She always replied promptly to emails and if she didn't answer when I called, she always returned my call right away (even when she was busy with other clients’ events that were typically much larger affairs than ours). She asked all the right questions to make sure our event ran smoothly and had everything set up just as we had discussed. It was such a relief to arrive at the event and have everything taken care of. I am not an event planner, but with Milen’s help, I didn’t need to be; she thought of everything. And the final bill was just as she and I had discussed—no surprises or hidden charges. The other staff—catering, bellmen, front desk—were all so friendly and professional. Finally I would mention that the mission and spirit of the MMC, as a living memorial to service members, was a welcome change from the typical corporate-feeling venue. It is a very beautiful and old-style San Francisco hotel. In a post-event survey, 96% of our conference attendees rated the food as excellent or good (46% excellent), 100% rated the meeting rooms as excellent or good (69% excellent), and 100% rated the location as good or excellent (71% excellent). Among other positive comments, our attendees described the MMC as “peaceful,” “beautiful,” “great in every respect,” and a “gem of a hotel.” One said: “Loved it. The unique hotel ambiance and purpose was greatly appreciated...and an unexpected bonus, having never stayed at the property previously.” And another said: “I loved it! The staff was amazing and the hotel was beautiful.” Among attendees who stayed at the hotel, many said the rooms were larger than others in the Union Square area and they loved the complimentary breakfast. In sum, I would highly recommend the Marines’ Memorial Club and Hotel for your next event; we are already looking forward to holding our conferences there in 2014 and 2015 (and hopefully beyond!).

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank Sonja P
Reviewed January 27, 2014

I stayed here from Oct 6th to the Oct 8th. I arrived to the hotel via a personal vehicle. I arrived on the weekend so parking is free so I wouldn't need to worry about it til Monday. However I'd like to add parking is around the 30 dollar range if you do have a vehicle. Once I arrived to the hotel. I checked in verified that I was military and went upstairs. I booked a regular room that had an hdtv a queen size bed and a nice decent size bathroom. The room was equipped with wifi and an ethernet connection. A little tidbit about wifi. It is painfully slow. If you want faster speeds either try starbucks down the street or suck it up by using the ethernet cord. I realized when I hooked up to the ethernet cord it was a lot faster.

I ventured the city a little bit and realized there was happy hour from 4pm-6pm where you can have wine and some snacks. It is complimentary and keep in mind please do tip your waiter. The hotel tries its best not to inconvenience you, you can add the tip to your room and pay it when you check out. Again this hotel provided breakfast and I'd like to say this is top notch also. The breakfast is like a buffet and has a lot of choices.

I would highly recommend coming here especially if you're active duty military. If they have any available rooms, on the weekdays its 79 and on the weekends its 99. It is a steal for a downtown hotel being that other hotels in the area on the average will run you 200 to 300 a night. I highly recommend it. I would definitely come back here.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled with friends