“A great hotel for the price.”

Marines Memorial Club Hotel
Ranked #11 of 230 Hotels in San Francisco
Reviewed January 27, 2014

I stayed here from Oct 6th to the Oct 8th. I arrived to the hotel via a personal vehicle. I arrived on the weekend so parking is free so I wouldn't need to worry about it til Monday. However I'd like to add parking is around the 30 dollar range if you do have a vehicle. Once I arrived to the hotel. I checked in verified that I was military and went upstairs. I booked a regular room that had an hdtv a queen size bed and a nice decent size bathroom. The room was equipped with wifi and an ethernet connection. A little tidbit about wifi. It is painfully slow. If you want faster speeds either try starbucks down the street or suck it up by using the ethernet cord. I realized when I hooked up to the ethernet cord it was a lot faster.

I ventured the city a little bit and realized there was happy hour from 4pm-6pm where you can have wine and some snacks. It is complimentary and keep in mind please do tip your waiter. The hotel tries its best not to inconvenience you, you can add the tip to your room and pay it when you check out. Again this hotel provided breakfast and I'd like to say this is top notch also. The breakfast is like a buffet and has a lot of choices.

I would highly recommend coming here especially if you're active duty military. If they have any available rooms, on the weekdays its 79 and on the weekends its 99. It is a steal for a downtown hotel being that other hotels in the area on the average will run you 200 to 300 a night. I highly recommend it. I would definitely come back here.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled with friends
4  Thank maui87a

Reviewed January 16, 2014

The MMC is a well priced hotel near Union Square with nice sized rooms. It caters to military but accommodates non-military travelers as well. There is a nice free breakfast and happy hour on the 12th floor with nices views of the city. Service is acceptable though slow and not particularly friendly. I often waited for service at the front desk even though I was the only one waiting. The front desk staff were all multi tasking. It's not great as a business hotel only having a small desk. Most electrical outlets are on thebase boards so if you have multiple devices you'll be moving furniture and on your knees often to recharge. Wifi is kinda slow as well.

Stayed: January 2014, traveled on business
Reviewed January 7, 2014

The first time we stayed at this hotel was in 1966 and since then it has been remodeled several times but it has never lost its attention to taking care of the guests. So from the time we arrived until the time we left two days later the staff responded to our every request with a smile.
The full breakfast every morning is included in the room rate and it is high quality and more than ample to start the day. The afternoon happy hour is not as impressive and I would have liked more than pretzels and salty snacks with the complementary drinks but that might have spoiled
the dinner at any number of excellent restaurants nearby including the Italian restaurant on the
first floor which smelled good but we did not have time so we are saving it for our next visit.

Room Tip: Upper floor away from the street noise
  • Stayed: January 2014, traveled as a couple
1  Thank asiapaccap
Reviewed December 28, 2013

We are not a military family, but this hotel was resplendent with the qualities that mold our warriors and heroes. This is a historical venue filled with military heroes and the respect that they are due. We truly enjoyed the historical aspect of this hotel as well as the friendly and professional staff. Honesty is evident when my expensive leather boots were left behind, and the staff documented the date, room, and item and had them safely tucked away for me to retrieve them days later when I returned.

The dining room requires a dress code of simply decent clothing--no gym clothes or sloppy, disheveled guests allowed to enter--a good model for our kids to see what integrity is all about.

The breakfast was varied, though probably more reminiscent of cafeteria style food than gourmet, but it served its purpose for a hot meal and other items to start the day.

Loved the ambience of feeling that we were in a hallowed place; the only minus was that since it's an old building, the rooms were dated with non-soundproof walls and windows, and thus, the noise from adjoining rooms and outside on the street could be heard.

The location is in Union Square, so we could walk to many restaurants and shops without hailing a cab.

We truly enjoyed our stay here.

Room Tip: Stay away from elevators--since the rooms are not soundproof, you hear it every time the doors open...
  • Stayed: December 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank Melissa B
Reviewed December 27, 2013

At the corner of Sutter and Mason in the heart of San Francisco, this hotel is within walking distance of Union Square shopping, Chinatown exploring, a block from the Trolley that takes you directly to Fisherman's Wharf / Ghirardelli Square, and dining - well, dining everywhere, including the hotel's own 12-floor lounge with wonderful views to the East and West.

The decor is warm and inviting, though in some areas, a tad dark. Members of the Marines Memorial Association (veterans from any service may join) get substantial discounts on rates, but even at public rates the hotel is reasonably priced for a city as expensive as San Francisco.

The staff here is truly a family. Many (perhaps most) have been working at the hotel for decades. That translates into a genuine and heartfelt attitude of respect and pride (for themselves AND their guests) that exudes from every nook and cranny in the building.

On every floor, The Marines Memorial is a living historical museum of the great battles and great men and women that have kept America free. Yet the atmosphere never transgresses beyond the respectful to the proselytizing.

The beds are very comfortable, and most rooms are spacious, although the pet-friendly room we stayed in was smaller by comparison. To be fair, we stayed for Christmas, when high demand made some of the larger rooms unavailable, even though we booked well in advance.

Amenities are really nice - the push-pump containers of higher-end shampoo, conditioner and bath gel in the large walk-in showers. A mini-fridge; coffee pod machine; big, fluffy bathrobes, large flat-screen TV.

The hotel does not have its own parking garage, but contracts with the Olympic Club in the same block to offer a discount, bringing the 24-hour rate from an obscene $48 to a merely irritating $30. There's essentially no choice in this city.

Your irritation will quickly dissipate, however, with the huge, FREE, buffet breakfast overlooking the city, and the cozy, FREE, nightly 2-hour "Happy Hour." Yes - free well drinks, wine, beer and snacks.

There are ice and filtered water machines on every floor; a free business center with computers and printer; a library; a FREE, first-rate health club (not two treadmills and a mat); and a real plus - a free self-serve washer and dryer. And of course, free internet throughout the hotel, including BOTH Wi-Fi, and a T1 ethernet connection in every room.

Basically, everything you could want is here - and if it isn't, the hotel staff will get it for you, quickly.

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled with family
3  Thank reispr
Reviewed December 20, 2013

Can't say enough about this fabulous hotel. My three sisters and I surprised our brother with a trip to SF for his 50th birthday. We all felt as though we'd hit the jackpot with this venue. The staff treated us like we were family. They were endlessly patient, kind and helpful. The rooms were spotlessly clean, roomy and comfortable. Great views of the city. Location was nearby lots of things to do and see. The parking is $30 per day, but you don't need a car if you say here. There's an arrangement with a private health club, guests can use the club for free. There is a great rooftop restaurant and bar. They offer FREE happy hour daily from 4-7pm. they offer a complimentary, delicious breakfast buffet. All surrounded by spectacular views of San Francisco. This is my new favorite hotel! Can't imagine staying anywhere else in San Francisco.

Room Tip: We stayed in two rooms on the ninth floor- loved both rooms.
  • Stayed: September 2013, traveled with family
2  Thank augustamom
Reviewed December 20, 2013

This hotel is a great value! The staff were great, very helpful. Did I mention location? This hotel is in a great location, close to union square. There is a little Italian resturant, mom and pop place, on the corner that had incredible food, wish I could remeber the name.

The room was not fancy and a bit dated but it was clean and comfortable. I intend on staying here again.

Spend some time looking over the Marine historical items, really interesting.

Room Tip: The higher the floor the quiter the room.
  • Stayed: January 2013, traveled on business