“Leatherneck's Steakhouse”

Marines Memorial Club Hotel
Ranked #11 of 230 Hotels in San Francisco
Reviewed January 27, 2012

I will start by saying I did not stay at the Marine's Memorial Club, but I did eat at the excellent Leatherneck's Steakhouse on the 12th floor. Magnificent nighttime view of the city, attentive service and a superb, moderately priced steak was my reward. I would HIGHLY recommend this restaurant to anyone staying around Union Square area in San Francisco.

• Stayed: January 2012, traveled on business
2  Thank ocall0

Reviewed January 24, 2012

Wonderful 3 night stay in this excellent hotel. Stopped in room 301. Staff were sooooo nice and very helpful. Room was very clean and breakfast was beautiful. The whole place is soaked in history and it was a pleasure to be able to access all that the hotel had to offer and for us to remember a dear friend which was part of the marine corps. Thank you very much. Looking forward to coming back.

• Stayed: January 2012
1  Thank toni526
Reviewed January 12, 2012

MMC is always a good choice. The front desk staff and the bellmen/concierge were all very friendly, professional and helpful. Our room was fine, bathroom was small and somewhat dated, but very clean. Best part was that the window opened! The refrigerator, which was in the closet, was much appreciated.
The breakfast and "happy hour" are a plus, and one of the reasons we return, but they could use a little fine tuning. The breakfast wait staff were all friendly and efficient. I don't understand why they only have the toasters out on the weekends. And new toasters would not be a budget buster, it takes several minutes for a slice of toast to even get partially done.
The evening cocktail hour was a mixed bag. The view is spectacular from the 12th floor, so why they don't turn down the lights, put a few candles on the tables and let people relax and enjoy it is beyond me. The wait staff is busy, but one night out of three were they at all friendly and welcoming. Good service equals good tips. The "hosts" at the entrance bordered on rude, never a smile or a greeting.

Room Tip: The 01 and 02 rooms are right next to the elevator, we didn't stay in them but they may be a bit...
  • Stayed: January 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed January 9, 2012

My family and I have stayed at the Memorial several times and are always impressed. The service is impeccable, the rooms are spacious and well appointed and the location is wonderful for shopping, dining and sight seeing. Regrettably, there were issues with the hot water supply three out of four mornings. The management comped our rooms (two suites), which was most kind and appreciated. The hosted breakfast and happy hour are both very nice. We hosted a dinner for twenty while there and all had a delicious meal with top notch service. When our travels take us to San Francisco, we will again call on the Memorial.

• Stayed: January 2012, traveled with family
2  Thank GOarmywife
Reviewed January 5, 2012

My family recently stayed at the MMC. We loved the location. Union Square is around the block with all of the major shopping, reminiscent of TImes Square in NY. The free breakfast is wonderful and the evening cocktail hour is a huge bonus. THey even have shirley temples for the kids. The rooms are very nice as well. The bathroom isn't huge, but it has what we need. There was a mini fridge in the room and a coffee maker as well. THe views from the restaurant are amazing, overlooking the city. What better way to enjoy breakfast than looking out over the bay and downtown? Highly recommend!

• Stayed: January 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank talattan
Reviewed December 30, 2011

We recently stayed at MMC for the first time the week before Christmas with my husband and two sons, who are 6 years old. By showing my husband's military ID when we checked in, our rate was reduced from $199 per night to $80 per night. What a great value! This price included our room which was adequately sized (by downtown San Francisco standards) and a buffet breakfast each morning on the 12th floor with a great view of downtown SF. For $27 a night, we parked our car in a garage which was about 50 yards up the street. Again, this was a great value, as most hotels in the surrounding area charged upwards of $50 per night to park a car. Our room included bathrobes, two double beds, an alarm clock, a coffee maker, a small fridge, and a hairdryer in the bathroom. The room did not have a DVD player and the pay-per-view movies were incredibly expensive, which was sort of a bummer for my sons. Also, our window looked directly out to a brick wall of the hotel next door. Some of the interior of the hotel was a little dated, and the nightly happy hour was always too crowded for us to attend. At $80 a night, I can't really call any of these things "complaints" because it's easy to overlook minor issues when you're getting such a deal. Had we paid the full rate, I would have wanted a nicer view and expected some nicer finishes here and there in our room and the common areas of the hotel. The only major reservation I have about recommending this hotel to people is that it wasn't the most comfortable place to stay with small children. My kids are pretty well behaved, and we travel with them a lot, but I still found myself "shushing" them and telling them to be quiet, sit up straight; etc. The hotel is frequented largely by retired military, and there weren't a whole lot of families there. This made the atmosphere feel a little stuffy. As a matter of fact, one morning, the breakfast buffet was especially crowded, and after we finished eating and got back on the elevator, one lady in the elevator remarked to another that the buffet was too crowded because "there were a lot of families in the hotel right now". I kept my mouth shut, but I actually thought it was the older folks up there drinking their coffees and reading newspapers that slowed things down. If you've ever eaten at a restaurant with small kids, you know that families usually eat and leave, and don't dawdle at the table. Plus, there were really only 3 or 4 small families of 4 in the dining room (including ours) during the time that we were there for breakfast. Her comment let me know that even a small amount of smaller sized families was an anomaly for the MMC hotel. Bearing that in mind, we will definitely go back to MMC again. The location was so great (we walked to Union Square to go ice skating) that you end up not spending a lot of time in the hotel, so even though it wasn't the most kid-friendly hotel, we still enjoyed our stay and will be back.

• Stayed: December 2011, traveled with family
4  Thank brettandanne
Reviewed December 29, 2011

Great hotel in the heart of San Francisco. Nice rooms with free happy hour in the bar

• Stayed: December 2011, traveled with family