“Cheap and comfortable”
Review of Layne Hotel

Layne Hotel
Ranked #203 of 229 Hotels in San Francisco
Reviewed December 8, 2012

This hotel is 100 years old but well-renovated and clean. It is cheap and comfortable.
I stayed here to attend the American Geophysical Union Fall Meeting. It takes only 15 min to the Moscone Center by walk.
It is convenient and reasonable enough. I like it.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled solo
3  Thank tomoirino
There are newer reviews for Layne Hotel

Reviewed December 2, 2012

We were looking for an inexpensive motel in San Francisco and someone recommended this one. The neighborhood was questionable, not sure I would have walked to union square if that was my goal. The parking was terrible we had to double park just to register. There was a 'private' parking garage just down the street where we left the car to keep it off the street. Although the room price was great we had to pay $20 to park the car which negated any savings on the hotel. The clerk had trouble finding our reservation and then made us pay a $250 deposit. The room was small but modern. There was no heat in the room but there was a fridge and microwave. Not sure I would recommend it to everyone, although if you really want to stay in central San Francisco for under $100 this fit the bill.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank kinnerj
Reviewed October 6, 2012

We just came back from San Franscisco and the city was buzzing with Conferences, etc., so it was hard to get a hotel room in the city centre. We booked in this hotel despite the bad comments because we were desperate (all rooms in half-decent hotels were $300 and above) so we decided to book here (we still payed a handsome $250, though). We only stayed for 1 night.
The guy at the front desk was incredibly unpleasant. We arrived in the hotel at around 11.45 am and the very FIRST thing he said to us (after asking for our names) was: "you can't check in now". Really? is that how you greet your customers??? we were not even hoping to be checked-in but a "hello, I'm sorry, we're busy, your room is not ready yet but we would be more than glad...", etc. you get the picture.
Anyway, I was quite annoyed to be honest, so we just left our luggage in the reception (they don't have a storage room) and we left.
We came back at 6.00 pm to be given the keys to our room. Same guy, same attitude. I swear to God I could just hit him.
Our room: tiny and very basic. No air-con. Bathroom wasn't cleaned properly, there was hair (I shudder!..). Since there was no air-con and this last week was quite hot, we decided to open the windows...and it was very noise outside. Your choice: either you roast or you can't sleep.
Area: Interesting to say the least. We're quite happy to stay in less-than-pretty areas but this one was a bit scary at night. The area is right in the city centre though, so you can walk quickly to Powell, Union Sq., etc. Also, to be totally honest, there was a Hilton hotel about 2 blocks from ours, so...
My main gripe is the hotel, not the area. They charge way too much for sub-standard facilities and awful customer service. Avoid unless desperate.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
4  Thank VDZUK
Reviewed September 26, 2012

I often spend a night or two in the city and have found myself near or in the Tenderloin neighborhood, which is a real educational experience and not for the squeamish. It's LIVING THEATER right outside your window. The neighborhood is notorious for drug addicts, drunks and homeless people wandering around, pan handling and occasionally fighting with each other (as well as their imaginary demons) Saturday nights can be especially rowdy on the streets, but given all that, I am happy to report my experience at The historic Layne Hotel was better than most in this part of the city.
The rooms are clean, not too small, the front door is secure (you have to buzzed in) and there is always someone at the front desk 24 hours a day. There is a real charm to this hundred year old hotel. The elevator, in particular, is very old, but it works. You feel you are traveling back in time as you rumble up to your floor. It's very cool.
This hotel is very near the corner of Geary Street and only two blocks from The Curran Theater, so it is in a good spot, walking distance to restaurants and transportation options especially when you consider you're often paying half of what the bigger chains charge. Through Booking.com, I was able to get a room with private bathroom for $125.00 (normally 175.00) on a busy festival weekend in a busy month in San Francisco.
If you can get beyond the sad and the sordid, you may have a memorable stay in this location.

Room Tip: across the street is a Hooka Lounge. close to theaters.
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled solo
3  Thank maxbialy
Reviewed August 31, 2012

I didn't actually stay the night in this hotel. The first room we were assigned was funny how gross it was . Unfortunately the humor was short lived. The room was tiny (as I expected for the price). The "window" was covered up by a sheet of metal. The bedspread looked like it had been stolen from a hobo (stained all over and disgusting). The very aged and gross windows shades were literally falling off of the window. Even though the website implies that there is a bathroom, the room only had a sink. There were holes in the walls. It smelled bad. The toilet was in one room down the hall. The shower was its own room that was remarkably tiny. After realizing that there was no way my girlfriend and I were going to stay there, the front desk said there was no way we were getting a refund. Not surprisingly, there was another group in front of us trying to get a refund (with no luck). So at 1000pm my girlfriend and I set out on the streets to find a place to stay. We ended up booking another room from priceline at the Hotel Serrano just around the corner. It was three times the cost but well worth it after coming from the bowels of the Hotel Layne. If it came down to sleeping in a car or the Hotel Layne, I would pick a car in a heartbeat. There are some really cool bars close by. Unfortunately, they don't have NEARLY enough liquor to make this place close to habitable.

Room Tip: Go somewhere else. This place is crap!
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank NealM7
Reviewed July 31, 2012

My husband and I are cyclists. We booked this hotel on-line and telephoned them to ensure they had somewhere safe (inside the hotel) where we could store our bicycles. We were told they had a room in which we could store them. Upon arrival this was not the case. We had cycled about 70 miles that day, we were exhausted, it was 6pm and now we had to start searching for a different hotel - we weren't happy .............. Further, they denied having taken a phone call the day before - insisting that we were lying about the situation. We asked if we could leave our bicycles in the reception (there was room behind the sofa), the answer was "no" and they wouldn't allow us to take them to our rooms ............

The receptionist told us we could leave our bicycles in the car park next door!! Having travelled for 2 years (we are on a Round the World cycle ride), we weren't about to park our very expensive bicycles next door for them to possibly be stolen ........ the area was extremely 'downtown' to say the least!!

So NOT impressed at all...........

Instead we found the Monarch Hotel on the corner of Pol and Geary and it was great and cheaper than this excuse for a hotel!!

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled as a couple
5  Thank RogDee
Reviewed June 29, 2012

This hotel markets itself as 2 star and based on that rating, it is clean and comfortable. Anyone considering staying here should know that it is definitely not more than two stars. We booked this because it was US Open weekend and everything else was fully booked. On first arriving at the hotel and seeing its location, we immediately went out on foot searching for another hotel but everything was indeed booked! So we resigned ourselves to a weekend at the Layne...
The positives are it was clean and comfortable enough. Negatives include its location, which is smack bang in the Tenderloin district and not in the Union Square district as touted on their website. Yes, Union Square is easily in walking distance but you can be sure that when you walk out the front door you will encounter a variety of drunks, junkies, and other rough individuals in the first couple of blocks. For this reason I would not recommend for anyone travelling on their own, particularly women. We were a party of five adults and made sure to leave and return together any time after dark - would not have felt safe on our own. Especially since the front door to the hotel is locked at all times (no key access for guests), meaning that if there was no-one at the front desk you had to wait until someone realised you were trying to get in (was no apparent doorbell either). The phones in the rooms were not working and there didn't appear to be a phone at the front desk either. Luckily, the person behind the front desk was happy for us to use his iPhone for things like car rental, restaurant bookings etc. Lift was ancient and so we opted to use the stairs instead. With some TLC and a renovation, this could be a real gem as the building itself has a lot of potential. Priced at $209 a night was pretty steep, but have no comparison and it was US Open weekend. Wouldn't stay here again but that is just because I didn't like the area and prefer to stay 3 or 4 star. But I still give it 3/5 for what it is.

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled with family