“best kept secret that is getting out”
Review of Inn at the Opera

Inn at the Opera
Ranked #106 of 230 Hotels in San Francisco
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed February 16, 2011

i have been staying at inn at the opera for 5 years. i fly up for the ballet. it could not be more ideally located. the staff at the Inn is extraordinary. yes, i said extraordinary. Jin
(Jennifer) Rowena, Javier in the front end are more than exceptional. they greet you like family and do everything possible to make your stay memorable.
the breakfast is more than ample. and the presentation is lovely.
when recommendations are suggested, Sean, the GM acts on them.
this is one of the most delightful boutique hotels i have visited. it is also a time share but hopefully they will continue to save rooms for non time share folk.

• Stayed: February 2011, traveled solo
SeanPierson, Assistant General Manager at Inn at the Opera, responded to this reviewResponded February 17, 2011

Thank you very much for your kind words. We try and make every guest' stay as pleasant as possible, and I am glad that you enjoy staying here as much as we enjoy having you.

Reviewed February 16, 2011

The location is great for Davies Hall, Opera House, Herbst Theater. Front desk is very friendly and responsive to request. Continental breakfast is adequate. Our room was small, but clean and comfortable. Valet parking is additional but is very convenient.

• Stayed: February 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed February 15, 2011

it was soooo loud, i could here everything. The walls are paper thin! I couldnt believe it. There was a half eatin apple in our trash, the room was tiiiiiny, old little tvs, no room service or ice machine, the restaurant was closed at like 7pm every nigh becuase it wasnt "very busy". so for the price i think its terrible. Might as well stay at a bloody hostel.

sorry guys

• Stayed: February 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank rachelpoppe

There is no need to be sorry. I need to apologize to you for such a bad experience while you were here. I have shared this review with our houskeepng staff, and the owner of the restaurant (they ease the space from us), so we can be better at servicing our guests.
As to the size of the rooms, the only thing I can say is that with a lot of older San Francisco building the rooms tend to be on the smaller side.
I only wish that yuou had said something while you were here so we maybe could have done something to make your stay more enjoyable.

Reviewed February 15, 2011

No complaints about this lovely property. There have been some reviews mentioning the dicey location, but even for the first time visitor there are ways around this. My husband and I are avid walkers (esp. when staying in SF) so we simply walk up Van Ness until we hit a street that bypasses the "dicey" area. If you aren't big on walking, grab a bus or walk the 4 blocks to Bart and you can take it. I will say ditto to the wonderful, friendly staff and excellent continental breakfast. I don't think there is a better value hotel in the city. If the reviews of room size frighten you then spring a little more for a bigger one - still a great value. Room size not much of an issue with us since we're there to see things - the room is for sleeping so if that's all you need the hotel for, you'll be fine. They are also immaculate and fairly quiet - easily worth double what we paid.

• Stayed: January 2011, traveled as a couple

I am so glad to hear that you enjoyed us your second time around, and we look forward to seeing you again in the future.

Thank you!

Reviewed January 27, 2011

It is difficult to draw negative comments about this hotel and I do not want to repeat the same applause about this hotel. So, I just make a few notes that may be helpful.

1. I stayed at the Inn for a conference at Moscone Center. I found the commute to and from the conference site somewhat dangerous, especially after sunset, with so many zombie-ish people at every corner, sometimes at every door on the streets. In fact, it was a bit of post-apocalyptic experience. I saw two arrests for the five days I had to commute. If I were there for opera, symphony, or ballet, the location couldn't have been better.

2. The room is small. If I had a child, it would have certainly been difficult to stay in. Also, there was no desk, so working in the room was almost out of the question.

• Stayed: January 2011, traveled on business
1  Thank fscholar
Reviewed January 25, 2011

I would recommend this hotel, if you are looking for something a little different. Rooms, while on the small side, are beautifully furnished and spotless.

Staff are friendly. Continental breakfast is quite good and served in a lovely dining room.

• Stayed: January 2011
Reviewed January 23, 2011

I stayed here for two separate nights mid January 2011. One night in room 21 and one night in room 65. Both rooms were 'ballet suites' and VERY TINY! I wondered how in the world the staff put in a queen sized beds in these rooms. There wasn't a desk to put the lap top on(no room) and when I spent a few hours in my rooms, I felt a bit claustrophobic. I picked this hotel because of location and convenience for what I was here for and overall have very much enjoyed my stay. The bed was very comfortable, staff is extremely friendly and helpful, breakfast is cozy and I'd compare this hotel's feelings to a hotel you might find in Europe. This is a good place to stay, I will be coming back.

• Stayed: January 2011, traveled on business