All reviewscity hallcivic centerperforming artstime sharehard boiled eggscontinental breakfastasian art museumfresh fruitboutique hotelpublic transportationeuropean style hotelsitting roomsmall hotelthere is no air conditioningvalet parkingcoffee makersmall fridge
Reviewed November 8, 2017

The location is excellent. The opera, two theaters, Asian Art Museum, ballet, symphony hall, city hall, and the main public library are all within walking distance. We got a Visitor’s Pass that includes cable cars, street cars, busses, and Muni subways (not BART). We highly recommend them. You just “tap” the card instead of fumbling for change. With this pass and Uber or Lyft, you don’t need to rent a car. You will see the names of cities on many of the street cars running up and down Market. These are they cities where they bought that particular street car (Milan, Cleveland, Mexico City, Boston, etc.). You can buy the Visitor’s Pass at Walgreen’s for 3 or 7 days.

We had the 2-bedroom suite. The second bedroom had a fold-out couch rather than a bed, but it was a bona fide bedroom because it had its own closet, bathroom, and TV. We were on the 6th floor but only had a view of the buildings next door (about ½ storey higher), but you should be able to see over them from the 7th floor.

The Inn was a nice, quaint place. I’m pretty sure it was an apartment building that was converted—built around 1910 I’d say. We did enjoy our 2-week stay, but I do have some complaints. I called the desk to have the toilet paper holder fixed because one support arm was coming out of the wall and the spring-loaded bar would pop out at the worst possible time. They came by while I was out, looked at it, and decided it didn’t need anything. I called back and insisted. Then they fixed it, and it stopped falling off. Customer service was generally very good, but there was one staff member whom I do not think is temperamentally suited for customer relations type of work. This is more of an observation than a complaint. (To the staff: If one name pops into your head first, then I’m right.)

They have a computer on the main floor with Internet access. First of all, I couldn’t open any of my own files because (1) they didn’t have a USB port (the computer was locked away because someone stole the last one) and (2) the only word processor was WordPad. I bought a USB extension cord myself so I had a port I could use. I also installed OpenOffice, a free-to-the-public suite that works with Microsoft Office files. I also installed freeware to clean up malware/viruses and defragment the hard drive. Both fixed lots of problems the first time I ran them, and the computer was noticeably faster.

They have a respectable continental breakfast that includes bacon and eggs on Sundays. However, they put the bacon and the eggs in the same tray. This sounds picky on my part, but what happens is the grease from the bacon flows under the eggs. After a couple of hours of refilling bacon and eggs, the eggs at the bottom of the tray are so greasy I could put a wick in them and use them as a candle. All they need to do is keep them separate.

Housekeeping was great. They did a good job and were very pleasant. (Be sure to leave them a tip every time they clean up.)

Also, there’s a high-end grocery store within walking distance called “The Market” located at 1355 Market Street. They have lots of hot prepared foods that are great if you want more than snack food but don’t want the trouble and expense of going to a restaurant.

There’s a laundromat 2 blocks away. We used a carry-on suitcase to ferry clothes back and forth.

• Stayed: October 2017, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Paul R
Reviewed October 22, 2017

I was pleasantly surprised with my room. It was very nice. However, it did get noisy at night because the room was next door to a parking garage. I love that this hotel provides breakfast, which is included. It was basic but good enough. And I especially liked the fact that they had fruit available throughout the day for the guests, located in the foyer.

• Stayed: October 2017, traveled solo
Reviewed October 15, 2017

We stayed one night at this very pleasant inn which is close to the Civic Center. We had a nice room with comfortable bed, pillows, desk area, and TV. There is sitting chairs as well. The bathroom while smaller size like many San Francisco hotel bathrooms, was still nice.

We enjoyed dining at Plaj, the fine dining restaurant at the inn. Food is Scandavian and very good.

They also have a good complementary breakfast.

Service is very good.

We are Shell vacation club owners, so used points to pay for our one night stay.

Sleep quality is good, but with any hotel in a city, there is the usual infrequent sirens (police, fire) that we could hear from our room.

We valet parked our car.

• Stayed: October 2017, traveled as a couple
Reviewed October 5, 2017

We stayed at this hotel for 7 nights in late September and thoroughly enjoyed the time spent there. The staff could not be friendlier or more competent. The room though on the small size, was comfortable even though the outside temp was over 80 and there is no air conditioning, the ceiling fan was sufficient. A nice breakfast buffet was served every morning. The hotel was well maintained and in a safe area close to government, cultural buildings, restaurants, and within walking distance of numerous forms of public transportation.

Room Tip: Higher floors less noisy if you keep windows open at night
  • Stayed: September 2017, traveled as a couple
1  Thank ChuckUpstateNY
Reviewed October 2, 2017 via mobile

Really liked it. We had a suite with 2 bathrooms . It’s close to great restaurants and to the hop on hop off bus. The only down side is no a/c which most months you don’t need any way. StAff is helpfull.swedish restaurant on premise is good too

Stayed: September 2017, traveled as a couple