“Exceptional Service”

GreenLeadersBronze level
Montreal, Canada
“Exceptional Service”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 20, 2009

If you are thinking about coming to San Francisco consider the Inn at the Opera. The staff could not do enough to make my stay one I shall remember for a long time. Shiela, the concierge took care of any questions about tours, places to see, getting around town etc. while the front reception staff were always there to nurture and take care of any needs. Breakfast was more than just a continental with plenty of choices. Location of Inn at the Opera was great - in a safe neighborhood in the Civic Centre district but not hours away from the centre of town or Fisherman's Wharf. Best tour recommended is the Movie Tour. What a treat to learn about the 600 Hollywood films shot in San Francisco and learn about the city at the same time. Worth every penny.

Only advice to Inn at the Opera is to get CNN on their TV system rather than that horrid Fox News channel. Providing free internet for guests in the lobby would also enhance the services provided. Had I known about the free internet services available in my room, I would have brought my laptop.

Overall my experience at Inn at the Opera was exceptional. First class.

• Stayed April 2009, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (144)
  • Korean first
New York
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 19, 2009

As I was searching a hotel to stay for a weekend visit back to San Francisco, I came cross to this hotel which is managed by Shell Hospitality and considered as a "resort" in the company's standard. It is an all suite property right off Civic Center, War Memorial Opera House and Symphony Hall in the posh Hayes Valley area. Welcome area and lounge area are decorated in classic tone and completely charming boutique feel from the beginning of the boutique hotel booms in the industry. The first staff I encountered at Front Desk was not uniformed when I arrived at a quarter past 1PM (a bit early for check-in but it was Sunday and the city is running lower occupancy in hotel industry, so I thought I could give it a try). Of course, the room/suite was not ready. I stored my belongings with the hotel and off my errands in the city.

I was told that the room would be ready by 3PM. I returned to the hotel around 3:30PM and was given room 35 after 10 minutes wait by the Front Desk to get someone to acknowledge me. I got the key within one minute and off I went to the classic SF apartment cozy elevator. As I got off the elevator, I almost hit the robe (not sure if it is clean or not), hanging by the door that enters to the wing my room located. I carefully walk around it in the Hotel’s narrow hallway. It indeed reminds me a bit like many of the city sponsored apartment buildings around SF, except the price tag for this hotel was way much higher. As I walked past an opened door with housekeeper inside to get to my room, I knew that my room would not be ready (this came from my experience working in Sales & Marketing department in a two major hotel chains in US for 10 years). The bed was not done and the room had a really bad odor. I turned around and went back to the Front Desk. This time, I was noticed right away. I informed the staff that the room given to me was not ready. They radioed the housekeeping department and I was told that the room was ready after they got the confirmation from housekeeping. I told the FD staff that the bed was not made so it could not possibly be clean and ready. One of the FD staff went into the office behind the desk and later I was given another room - Room 55 on 5th floor.

This time I did not encounter the dirty linen hanging from the door and did not notice any housekeepers on this floor. I got into the STUDIO and was really shocked. The kitchenette area was efficiently in front of the door. To the right, there was the bed that I would be crashed for the 2 nights. There was no working area or desk. The tiny night stand houses an old lamp, the house phone, standard hotel radio/alarm and a pile of magazines/hotel information directory (I gathered as I did not want to get more shocks with the 3.5 star hotel accommodations). The armoire right in front of the bed has a VCR-TV combo, few drawers and hangers. There was no safe deposit that could be found as most 2-5 star hotels would have across US. The iron and iron board are tugged away next to the armoire and the mirror wall (YES, the mirror wall that can be found in some road-side motels often with a big billboard offering honeymoon suite by the hour!) On the other side of the bed is a classic armed-chair sits between the window (going out to the fire escape) leaving a bit of room for me to walk by. The studio is really tiny comparing to most hotel rooms I have seen in San Francisco (one of the hotel chains I worked was in the city) but this room is to suppose to be a STUDIO and the hotel names itself as a 3.5 star resort. I was truly disappointed but I told myself to make do since I am only staying two nights. I tried to put away my suitcase and all my belongings since there was not much room to walk around in the bedroom area. The armoire can’t be opened all the way and hit the end of the bed when opens to 60 degree so I carefully tugged my bag in the armoire as well as the portable heater it was left in my room.

The bathroom was decent size comparing to my sleeping quarter but I would only consider it was efficient not luxurious or nicely decorated. It does appear to be clean and everything seems to all attached, however, the rose color shower curtain stands way out in this all ivory/creamy colored bathroom. I looked again in the hotel’s website and made sure that I was not making any mistakes on my research before booking the hotel. I found there is some rooms in the hotel SMALLER than mine, called Ballet Room for efficiency travelers (I however had hard-time to image any room smaller than mine). For my type of studio, it supposes to have two chairs and a desk or table according to the hotel’s website. I told myself that there is no way, the hotel can even try to put in another chair or a desk/table and still advertises this studio as comfortable for two people. I pulled over a pillow as my desk on the bed and sat on the one and only chair to make it work as working area.

The resort/hotel is not deserved 3.5 star as I have seen 2.5 and 3 star hotel in the city that are more spacious, clean and well dècored. I don’t know how the hotel pulled together to get the star rating from AAA and passed the standards as required. Shell Hospitality managed a few great resorts so I was really disappointed that this hotel can be part of Shell’s world of elegant resorts and vacation homes. The rate for the studio was low but I know that I can get some other hotels with less star rating but more comfortable setting for travelers. My back was getting stiff just to sit on the chair and work on the laptop for one hour, a business traveler definitely would not be able to use this property for the business trip.

• Stayed April 2009, traveled solo
7 Thank Hotelsurffer
California
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 6, 2009

A disappointing experience.

I wish I could review the hotel. I chose this hotel primarily for it's location and amenities. I reserved on 12/31/08 for a 4/3-4/09 stay. I called 48 hours in advance to re-confirm and to let them know I would be checking in after 6:00 pm and had an 8:00 show to get to. I arrived at 7pm only to be told that someone "overstayed" and that I would have to stay elsewhere. I was sorely disappointed that I was unable to stay where I had planned (I had shows at the Orphuem 4 blocks away, and the Opera House, 1 block away) and had planned on WALKING with my 9 year old daughter from the hotel both nights.

To the hotel's credit, I will say that the hotel put me up at their expense at a location about 8 blocks further away, uphill at a nice old place with friendly staff at The Majestic. I can recommend The Majestic, but not the Inn at the Opera, as they apparently cannot guarantee that you will be able to stay there, even with a guaranteed rate booked well in advance.

Stayed April 2009, traveled with family
2 Thank tinkmommy
Chicago
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 6, 2009

Found it to be like a very elegant small European hotel. Staff was wonderful and very accomadating. Ovations, the restaurant was beautiful and we had a delicious dinner.

• Stayed April 2009
riverside
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 2, 2009

The ladies were so nice, they offered so much for us for our 4 night stay. It is really cramped but it had all that we asked for. They are very welcoming and offer any kind of service they felt we needed. We had one bed with three people, but they brought in an extra roll up bed and extra restroom supplies. There was complimentary breakfast but it was simply beagles, boiled eggs, and fruit that you served yourself.

• Stayed March 2009, traveled with friends
California
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 1, 2009

Inn at the Opera is a quaint little place to stay with very friendly staff. We slept in a Juliet Room. The room smelled really good and it was neat and tidy. It felt really cozy and serene but it was much smaller than what we're used to. The bed was pretty awful. We never got comfortable and managed to smack each other a few times during the tossing and turning. That size bed would be suitable for one adult or two very small people but it was nowhere near big enough for two grown people. I woke up with a very sore back and neck. The complimentary breakfast was adequate. If you plan to arrive late, dont expect to get room service. According to the binder in our room, room service stops at 9:30. I was starving when we arrived but exhaustion won out.

I would stay here again provided I got a larger room with a king sized bed. If the smaller rooms were the only ones available, I'd have to skip it unless I was by myself.

• Stayed March 2009, traveled as a couple
kenosha, wi
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 29, 2009

My husband and I stayed here for four nights from March 23rd - March 27th, 2009. We reserved the ballet room for 87.00 a night. I was really impressed with how much the hotel offers considering how cheap the hotel room was. The building itself is charming. A little old; but it just adds to the french charm! I loved the decor, too. Our room was very clean and comfortable. The blankets, pillows and bed were all very comfotable and easy to sleep on. The bathroom is also very nice, but there wasn't much space to store my cosmetics, so I ended up putting some of my stuff on the floor. For the most part it was quiet at night, except for early in the moring around 6:00, we could hear someone start a shower. The breakfast is great. Where I come from there is no way you can find such a great price on a good hotel; especially one that offers such a nice complimentary breakfast. The resturant downstairs called Ovation is soooo good. I highly reccomend trying the creme brulee. It's out-of-this-world! The service from the maids is great. However, I was dissapointed when we were told our room would be ready by 3:00pm but it was not ready until after 4:30. That had me quite upset because we were wasting precious time in SF. Also, the hotel is not located within walking distane to any attractions, so that made traveling kind of difficult. We rented cabs for the most part, and the hotel was very good about calling cabs for us. Overall, The Inn at the Opera is a great place to stay with good food and service at a great value. There were a few bumps, but the pleasure of staying here out-weighed any snags along the way. I would love to come back to SF, and I will reserve a room at The Inn at the Opera again. Next time though, I think I will get a bigger room. =)

• Stayed March 2009, traveled as a couple