“Cozy and Convenient for Exploring San Francisco”
Review of Inn at the Opera

Inn at the Opera
Ranked #98 of 230 Hotels in San Francisco
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed March 30, 2013

This small hotel is conveniently located to explore San Francisco. The room I stayed in was on the 6th floor (a ballet room), and very small but had everything I needed. It was very quiet. People comment on the old fashioned, small elevator, but I never had a long wait for it. Although it is close to public transportation, you do have to walk thru some sketchy areas to get to some transit.

I highly recommend the free (donation appreciated) city guides walking tours (SFcityguides.org). They have numerous walking tours of various areas and the guides are very knowledgeable and you can tell they really enjoy showing people their city. The street cars and busses are very easy to use, you really don't need, or want to have, a car if you are staying in the city, and many areas are walkable from the hotel (20-30 minutes to Union Square, Alamo Park (painted ladies), just a few minutes to the ballet/symphony/jazz venues and the Hayes valley with many shops and cafes or restaurants.

The hotel does have a small lobby and a restaurant but other than that no common areas or outdoor spaces to relax.

If your goal is to see San Francisco, this is a good home base.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled solo

Reviewed March 30, 2013

We used Expedia to book a trip to San Francisco for spring break and chose Inn at the Opera based on TripAdvisor reviews. It was a good decision. The staff was extremely friendly and helpful. We got there early in the day at about 9:30 and they said they would have a room for us about 11am and would call us when it was ready. We left our bags and toured the Hayes Valley neighborhood and returned around 11:30 to find our room ready for us.

We had a back rooon the 7th floor. It was very small, but nicely appointed and had two windows which made it seem larger.

The bed had a nice firm mattress and we enjoyed sleeping on it. In the morning we had a great continental breakfast in the restaurant on the first floor. The wait staff was again very friendly. We were surprised to find a slip on our table on which to charge a tip to our room. This was the first time we had ever seen this. We used cash, however, although we didn't observe others tipping.

The bed was made up each night and pieces of chocolate were there for our pleasure. The room also had a small refrigerator and microwave as well as a coffee maker.

All in all it was a great stay and will return in the future.

Room Tip: There was no fitness center or pool. I would choose a larger room in the future, but still would wan...
Reviewed March 24, 2013

What you can normally expect from a Hotwire booking is the crappiest room with the crappiest view and lackluster attention from the hotel staff... because they think you're cheap and probably won't tip very well. When my wife and I checked in, I was expecting a reception in accordance with these expectations. What we got instead was an incredibly cheerful and helpful staff. The bellman/valet saw us when we drove up, and, before I could even begin the check-in process, he approached and said, "if you're trying to park on the street instead of paying for our parking, I'll be able to hold a spot for you until after you've checked in." I was stunned by his consideration. I graciously accepted his generosity, as overnight parking was something like $28. The check-in clerk couldn't have been more polite. When I asked if we could get a room with a view, instead of reminding us that we'd booked on Hotwire and had to accept what they were willing to give us (as most hotels do surprisingly enough), she accommodated our request. After checking in, I then stepped back outside, and the bellman was standing off the curb about 20 yards down the street waving other drivers away from the spot he was guarding for us. Wow! When I pulled the car into the spot he was holding for me, the bellman then made sure that I removed all valuables from my car. He told me the one downside to parking on the street is that cars do get broken in to from time to time, but he also said he's never had a car get broken in to that didn't have anything of value inside. Everything about this particular hotel stay was wonderful. The room was beautifully appointed, very comfortable, and the breakfast the next morning was way beyond the "continental" we thought we were getting. I guess, technically, it was a continental breakfast, but the selection of items and the quality of teas was beyond any continental breakfast we'd ever had. All in all, this was a great kick-off to the three days we were planning on spending in wine country. This hotel is a great value and is run extraordinarily well.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple
3  Thank BigDBill
SeanPierson, Manager at Inn at the Opera, responded to this reviewResponded March 26, 2013

Thank you very much for the kind words about your stay and the staff here at the Inn at the Opera. I am very pleased that you were well taken care of. Please visit us again soon!

Reviewed March 23, 2013

Super location,easy to get to from the airport. We had a rental car,and it was parked and retrieved when we needed it for an average fee .Our suite was very clean and spacious for 2 people. We thought the soaps were tiny,but they gave us plenty.The staff was friendly,and knew our names too. We were there a week through Interval int. Walked to the Asian museum and saw the terra cotta warriors.

Reviewed March 17, 2013

We came upon this resort thru Interval international, we were thrilled with the size of the room and service of the staff. Helpful with directions, area attractions, and just friendly. Stayed 8 days, 7 nites and whenever we called on them they were there to please. Breakfast 'Buufee', was a hit with us to get the morning rolling, and so went the rest of our stay just a great run resort, also convenient to lots of things to do, or get to as we took a couple trips to napa n Sonoma. Diana the masseuse was great too, have ur self a spa afternoon you'll enjoy it.
Just FYI, there are ten thousand more cars then there are parking spaces.

Room Tip: Even the smallest of rooms are quaint,( we asked to see them), and ours was perfect
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple

Thank you for your wonderful review of your stay with us at the Inn at the Opera. I am glad to hear that you enjoyed your stay, and we hope to see you again in the future.

Reviewed March 13, 2013

OK...this review is for the service provided to me when I called to make a reservation at the Inn At the Opera (Part I).

Absolutely wonderful hotel employee named Dan! While I could have made (or not) my reservation online, I really wanted to see how I would be treated over the phone. From my past experience, the customer service you receive on the phone speaks directly to the service you will receive when you are AT the hotel!

Dan had a big "smile" on his face. I could hear it loud and clear. Delightful young man who answered all my questions patiently. We come to the City often and typically stay in the Marina but wanted to be in Civic Center (Asian Art Museum) this trip. There is no doubt our stay is going to be excellent of all the staff are like Dan!

Stay tuned for my review of our stay (Part II).

Oh, and thanks, Dan!

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank UCDavisTraveler

Thanks for the "pre-review" of the Inn! I am sure that the "outstanding service" will continue when you do arrive.

Reviewed March 6, 2013

We are spending the week here on a last minute timeshare exchange. It is a next door to the San Francisco Ballet and a block from the city hall. The symphony and opera are also close by. There are nice restaurants a few blocks from here and the buses and trolleys are less than 10 min walk to take you to the Wharf, Union Square, etc. We have not seen our car since we got here last Sat. The valet parking is $28.50 ($25+ tax). We thought it was expensive until we saw the prices at other places. Oh well, this is San Francisco after all,..
The staff here are great: the front desk and the restaurant staff are very friendly and helpful: the continental breakfast is included, there is quite a variety of muffins, bagels, croissants, fruit, boiled eggs, yogurt and cereals...juice as well as coffee and tea.
Our room is quite small (makes you go out and explore what the city has to offer!) There is a microwave, small fridge and a few dishes for snacks and drinks evenings or coffee while you are getting ready to go for breakfast. Despite the size of the room I would come here again.