All reviewscity hallcivic centerperforming artstime sharehard boiled eggscontinental breakfastasian art museumfresh fruitboutique hotelpublic transportationeuropean style hotelsitting roomsmall hotelthere is no air conditioningvalet parkingcoffee makersmall fridge
Reviewed October 19, 2011

This hotel is simple but elegant. It feels like from another time. The service was exceptionally good while we were here. The staff was very friendly, including the room cleaners. The complimentary breakfast was simple but nice; the dining room itself has a lot of class. Actually, this place *feels* like it should be next to the Opera House, so it's not just a clever name.

One complaint was the mattress was a bit soft for my back, but maybe that's just me. Oh, and the room was very hot at night - but we were able to open the windows completely and get some fresh air.

Bottom line, don't go here if you're looking for a typical newly done hotel with perfect modern amenities. This hotel is good for its vibe. It's elegant, but to the point of being pretentious, which is often the sort of vibe I get while in San Francisco.

• Stayed: October 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank mikeyb0in
Reviewed October 13, 2011

It was meant to be. During the week of the Oracle convention in San Francisco, I was unable to find a room in any of my usual San Francisco haunts. Luckily, I found a room at this wonderful hotel, and I can recommend it without restraint. The staff was incredibly friendly and helpful. The room was small but extremely comfortable. The location was in a place convenient to my meetings and free of the normal hustle and bustle of city streets. I'm sure to return to this hotel on my next trip to San Francisco.

• Stayed: October 2011, traveled on business
1  Thank Cynthia C
Reviewed October 10, 2011

The rooms are lovely, clean and the beds are comfy. Service is personal and attentive. The neighborhood has a good variety of small, delicious restaurants in walking distance. In fact you can walk easily to a number of bus or street car stops to get anywhere in the city. If you want a smaller hotel that caters to adults, you will love this place.

• Stayed: September 2011
Reviewed October 6, 2011

This hotel reminds me of Europe. It's not big and glitzy. In fact you might look right past it if you were not looking for it specifically. But once you walk in you will be greeted my very helpful and welcoming staff. The restaurant and bar, where you will have breakfast in the morning, is very nice. Our room was very comfortable and clean and nicely decorated. The rooms and hall have a very old world feel to them. I really liked my stay and would definitely stay there again. Another plus was that the location was quiet compared to when I've stayed other times in San Francisco on Union Square.

• Stayed: October 2011, traveled with family
Reviewed October 5, 2011

We were shopping around at the last minute for a hotel in San Fran; generally they looked over-priced and uninspiring. The Inn looked like the best for the price we wanted to pay, and it was.
A nice old building right next to the Opera House and City Hall, with good transport links. The staff were really friendly and helpful and the continental breakfast was good. Room was clean and comfortable, and included a little kitchen area with fridge and microwave which was useful. Not the newest furniture or bathroom fittings, but everything worked and was clean.
Would recommend, especially for the soothing classical music in the lift....

Room Tip: Ask for the highest floor available - street not too noisy but still the higher up the better.
  • Stayed: September 2011, traveled as a couple
2  Thank ViewsOfTheWorld
SeanPierson, General Manager at Inn at the Opera, responded to this reviewResponded October 6, 2011

Thank you for your review of your recent stay at the Inn at the Opera. I did want to let you know that we are looking into replacing the chairs and tables in our room over the next year, and appreciate the feedback. I look forward to having you as our guestsagin in the future.
Thank you!