“Did not feel safe!!”

Ranked #185 of 227 Hotels in San Francisco
Kerikeri, New Zealand
“Did not feel safe!!”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 16, 2013 via mobile

We arrived at this hotel at 6am we had paid to stay the previous night so when we arrived we could go straight to bed. Our travel agent did not advise them if this so they presumed we would not be staying there. When we arrived they gave us this little room it felt like we were in the dungin. The bed was so tiny. The next morning i asked to be moved. This did happen and the room was much better. The street that it is located on did not make me feel safe. It is like been in the getto :( it was so bad me and my partner orderd dinner to be deliverd as we were to afraid to go outside. This was a big downer on our time in san fran. Do not stay here it is the worst street in san fran. People are druged up one lady was crawling under our bus!!

1 Thank amanda c
Jaime G, Front Office Manager at Hotel Metropolis, responded to this review, July 28, 2013
Dear Amanda C,

Thank you for sharing your feedback. Please accept my apologies that you did not enjoy your stay due to homeless people in downtown San Francisco. As you can see from the many positive reviews preceding yours the majority of our guests love our downtown location, but I understand it may not be right for everyone.

Warm Regards,

Hotel Metropolis

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (93)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Los Angeles
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 15, 2013

I can't stress enough how awful the location of this hotel is. It's literally the worst culmination of street people imaginable, to include a lot of drug sales. The neighborhood people border all sides of the hotel, which made it dangerous, and unsafe for me to leave on foot alone. The man at the desk was kind enough to walk with me three blocks to a safer street. Once inside, the place is way below any business traveler's standards. No AC, small bathrooms, small rooms, no space to put your toiletries in the bathroom, no cable tv. Food delivery was a challenge too. I was not about to walk out to the street and find a neighborhood place, which was a real bummer since that is one of my favorite things to do in SF. I found a Chinese place on Yelp that made a delivery for me. There is no room service offered. I did not do my homework, so hopefully this will help the next person. Find another hotel.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank Melissa H
Dear Melissa H,

Thank you for your review. Please accept my apologies that you did not enjoy your stay due to the homeless issue in San Francisco. I’m very disappointed to hear that due to this issue you were not able to judge the hotel and staff independently. We hope in the future you give us another chance whenever in San Francisco.

Travelers are raving about these San Francisco hotels

Toronto, Canada
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 29, 2013

When I FIRST read the reviews for the hotel I was actually terrified of staying here, but later on people started to note that it wasn't "that bad". Umm, no... It IS that bad. The location of this hotel is TERRIBLE! Outside the hotel were drunk and homeless men. It didn't matter what hour it was these men were always out there causing a stir. The later the night the louder they got. Some nights fire crackers would go off. One night I went to look out the window and saw someone looking into peoples parked cars with a flashlight. The hotel has a back door which avoids this side of the crowd but leads to another. Due to my fears of encountering these characters I would come back before sunset and lock myself away in the room.
There was a gentleman at the front desk... I don't know his name but he's tall, wears glasses, and a goatee... he was extremely nice to us. He helped us with any questions and all the concerns we had about the hotel, and the characters outside (and yes, they do lock their doors at night).

The room... The windows didn't open much, not that you wanted it open due to the loud obscenities coming from outside... the hotel does not provide air conditioning. The bathroom was tiny. you could reach the sink from the toilet. Our shower head, right lamp, TV remote, and fridge did not work. We were told that the fridge was only to keep things "cool". The TV consisted of like 8 channels. If you don't like watching sports, I hope you like the news. That's all you get. The "Library" has vintage, old school, who would ever read... type of books. The "bar, and restaurant" isn't even IN the hotel.

On the plus side... the room was exceptionally cleaned! Great job to the cleaning staff!

Room Tip: Rooms in a different hotel would be better :)
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends
2 Thank Sarahannledo
Jaime G, Front Office Manager at Hotel Metropolis, responded to this review, July 2, 2013
Dear Sarahannledo,

Thank you for the comprehensive review. Please accept my apologies that you did not enjoy your stay due to the homeless issue in downtown San Francisco. I'm glad I was able to assist you with your questions and concerns during your stay and also I appreciate the feedback as we are always looking for ways to improve.

We have made many changes over the past year and have many more in store for the next several months. I hope that if your travels lead you back to San Francisco that you will check-in on our progress and consider giving us another chance.

Warm Regards,

Chicago, Illinois
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 28, 2013

Due to a flight cancellation, I was forced to stay in SF another night. Ordinarily, I wouldn't mind. After calling my preferred hotels (Hilton, Hyatt, Marriott, Sheraton, Westin) the Metropolis was the only place I could get a room. The web site looked nice, it was easy to book. I chose this hotel because of its proximity to Union Square. I'm familiar with the neighborhood and felt that this was a reasonable gamble. I couldn't have been more wrong.

The neighborhood is AWFUL. I was shocked that given the location just north of Market street and mere blocks from Union Square that the area would be so dangerous.

I checked in at 4pm that afternoon. Scores of drunk and homeless people. It got worse the later it got. Loud, rude and frankly scary. I was afraid to leave my room. The noise was horrific. Screaming and yelling all night long and into the wee morning hours. Firecrackers, bottle rockets, loud explosions. Police? Nowhere. At 4am I checked out!

My room was clean and bright but incredibly small. NO amenities in the bathroom. No shelves in the bathroom. One can barely even move in the bathroom it's so tiny. No cable TV, just 8-10 channels of broadcast TV. OK, free WiFi, but that doesn't begin. NO Air conditioning!

Room Tip: If you are traveling to SF, don't let the location fool you. Stay away.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
2 Thank David A
Dear David A,

Thank you for taking the time to to reach out to us and give us your important feedback. On behalf of the entire staff, please accept my personal apologies that your stay was not as expected due to homeless issue in Downtown San Francisco. It is our goal to exceed each individual guest’s needs and expectations despite the challenges of the neighborhood. We hope that in the future you would give us another opportunity and judge us solely on the service and facilities of the hotel.

San Diego, CA
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 27, 2013

I was a little apprehensive about staying at this hotel after reading all the reviews but decided to take a chance, as the location was key. I'm really glad I trusted my gut instinct!

True, the area around the hotel isn't the greatest but you have to remember, you're in downtown San Fran, every major city has their major city problems. The (homeless) folks around the hotel are way harmless and honestly, just one block down is the huge City Centre shopping mall.

But what lacks on the outside, makes up on the inside. Once you're in the lobby, it's a whole different world. The staff at the desk were always so friendly every time I passed by. The rooms are a little small but sufficient, again, it's San Fran, it's an older building. The room was clean, had nice bath amenities and during my stay, was room was made up perfectly, kudos to my housekeeper as I had stuff all over the place. Also, there were a lot of perks, such as free wireless internet, free coffee in the lobby and free wine in the evening...got to love free!

Parking was $35 a night, which is not bad compared to what other hotels in the tourist traps of San Fran charge. Not to mention, the valet guys were cool and patient with me as I kept driving in an out throughout my stay.

Overall, I had a great stay, I'd stay again and would totally recommend it!

• Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
3 Thank T12evenal
Dear T12evenal,

Thank you for taking the time to mention our front desk and valet staff; we will ensure that the praise does get into the hands of those who helped make your stay in the heart of San Francisco great. We look forward to your next stay with us and feel free to reach out to me directly to make reservations.

Krakow, Poland
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 22, 2013 via mobile

Stayed here 19th May for 4 nights. Travel agent recommended due to location. Was a bit concerned about other reviews re homeless people. However decided to trust my travel agent and so glad I did. Fab hotel, amazingly friendly and helpful staff. Location was ace, rooms on small side but spotless and well comfy. As for homeless people - so sad but there are a lot of them everywhere - but hey we were so obviously tourists and for the most part these guys were friendly and helpful with directions etc with no expectation of reward. Would definitely recommend this hotel and if I'm ever lucky enough to be back in San Francisco I would definitely stay there. PS the attached restaurant is wonderful

Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank janicegrant1
Jaime G, Front Office Manager at Hotel Metropolis, responded to this review, June 23, 2013
Dear Zumbajan,

Thank you for the insightful review! and high praise of our staff. We are pleased that the location of our hotel exceeded your expectations and our team will be happy to know that they made a lasting impression on you. We look forward to your return, and we hope to see you again soon!

Regards,

Bengaluru, India
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 20, 2013 via mobile

The only advantage of staying here is that it is in the heart of downtown. Rooms are badly designed. There isn't sufficient storage space and shelves in the bathroom. The rooms are small and there is no place to keep your suitcases. With the luggage open on the ground there isn't even an inch of space to walk around. Breakfast is not included in the stay. We did not have a safe in the room. But having said all this, the staff are friendly and the lobby and Internet lounge are inviting.

Ignore the homeless on the streets. The entire downtown is filled with them and their stench of urine. It's not just around this hotel.
Choose this hotel for its location and proximity to the metro, restaurants and the shopping district.

Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
Dear Sosale,

I am sorry to hear that you were disappointed with design and the size of the room you had reserved. However, I'm glad that you found our staff to be friendly and our lobby/ internet lounge to be inviting. We hope you give us another chance in the future to exceed your expectations.

Warm Regatrds,