“Don't trust the reviews”
Review of Hotel Metropolis

Hotel Metropolis
Ranked #178 of 229 Hotels in San Francisco
Reviewed May 17, 2013

I can honestly say I was extremely concerned with this hotel after reading reviews on trip adviser. Unfortunately there are quite a few homeless people in the area but if you walk 25 metres to the left you are in the touristy areas and you wouldn't know. With that said though the homeless didn't bother any of our group. I don't really write reviews or speak on public forums but truly believe it is my duty to thank the staff at hotel metropolis especially abdullah (I unfortunately didn't grab his name and I believe I am correct) as they were fantastic. The room was clean and extremely comfortable with everything you need. I hope this review prevents anyone from thinking the way I did before arriving. It is truly a great place to stay. Please pass this onto abdullah as I hope he gets the recognition he truly deserves. Thank you, Lachy

Stayed: May 2013, traveled with friends
4  Thank Lachdawg69
Haiyi, Manager at Hotel Metropolis, responded to this reviewResponded May 29, 2013

Dear Lachdawg69,

Thank you so much for your outstanding review and for given us an opportunity for exceeding your expectations despite the reviews that caused you anxiety. I am delighted that you found the hotel clean and comfortable more importantly that Abdullah provided you outstanding service we have definitely recognized him and passed your compliments to him and the entire staff. We look forward for your return and feel free to contact me directly for your future reservation.

There are newer reviews for Hotel Metropolis

Reviewed May 8, 2013

I stayed five nights for a conference in town. Very well done renovated building. Refrigerator, coffee maker, flat screen TV, huge bath tub that you can soak in, wonderful rain shower shower head, plenty of clean fluffy towels, soap, shampoo, conditioner, blow dryer, free coffee/tea in the mornings and free wine tastings each evening. I never saw any of the street people talking to or bothering anyone from the hotel. All you do is cross Market Street and you see Bloomingdale's and Nordstrom's. The staff went out of their way to help me at every turn. And by the way, the homeless are all over the city. As my grandfather used to say "never let a prejudice keep you from a bargain." The room rates were one half to one third those of the other conference hotels.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled on business
4  Thank Shawn R C
Haiyi, Manager at Hotel Metropolis, responded to this reviewResponded May 11, 2013

Dear Shawn C,

I shared your comments with our entire staff and it makes me happy that they went out of their way to help you at every turn. Thank you so much for your 5-star review as it validates the pride we take in creating a memorable experience at the Hotel Metropolis for every guest. I am glad to hear that you were not bothered by the crown in our area and you were also happy with our location.
Looking forward to welcoming back when you return to this beautiful city.

Best regards,

Reviewed May 3, 2013 via mobile

This was our first visit to San Francisco and it was only for one night, so the price of the hotel was great. The hotel inside was clean and comfortable, the staff i dealt with were brilliant and gave great advice on places to visit and how to get there. But sadly all this was tarnished by the vast amounts of homeless people and drug dealers right outside the front entrance of the hotel.
I'm not easily intimidated be I really didn't feel safe,that said its like 5mins walk from the fancy shopping area at Union square. So you decide!

1  Thank doobman79
Jaime G, Front Office Manager at Hotel Metropolis, responded to this reviewResponded May 8, 2013

Dear doobman79,

Thank you very much for your review and contribution to the Trip Advisor community. I'm delighted that you found our hotel to be clean, comfortable and that our front desk staff provided brilliant service. We look forward to having you again in the future.

Reviewed May 3, 2013

Wonderful stay. We were in town for a conference and this was one of the more affordable options in the area. Previous reviews were spot on. The area can be a little sketch at times but honestly we were never bothered by anyone. If you use the entrance through the lot you avoid the corner where there can be groups gathered. The front desk staff were fantastic and the rooms were a good size. Happy hour was a great addition and the coffee and tea in the morning were great to have. Thanks to the staff for making my first trip to San Francisco amazing, I will be back!

• Stayed: April 2013
2  Thank YEG_2011

Dear YEG_2011,

I agree with you 100% that the Hotel Metropolis is a gem along with your 5 star review! I'm delighted that you had a wonderful stay and found our staff to be fantastic along with our spacious rooms. More importantly is that you gave us the opportunity to make your first trip to San Francisco Amazing and we thank you for that. I have passed your compliments to our staff and we look forward to having you back with us soon!

Reviewed May 3, 2013

We had our wedding guests stay here and we did as well for a night. The hotel is updated and the staff was extremely friendly and accommodating. They went and beyond in helping us with parking needs and even ensuring that the necessary rooms were ready before check-in. The area is sketchy on one side but fine on the other. The elevator was a tad slow because there's only one for all 9 floors, so be patient...there's also a staircase. Staff was great and everyone says hello every single time they see you. Location was great and we were able to walk to the Giants game (less than 2 miles) and a very short walk to Union Square.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank Michelle L

Dear Michelle L,

Thank you very much for your 5 star review and on behalf of our entire staff and myself we wanted to congratulate you again. We highly appreciate the feedback and the opportunity to provide outstanding to your guests and yourself on such a monumental occasion. We hope your travels lead you back to San Francisco soon and whenever you need to make a reservation feel free to reach out to me directly.

Best Wishes,

(415) 775-4600
jgonzalez@haiyi-hotels.com

Reviewed April 29, 2013

This hotel gets a bad rap in some reviews because of the nasty corner location right on the edge of the Tenderloin, a truly depressing section of SF that is right next to the main tourist center of Union Square. But for me, it's a perfect location because it's only 1 block from BART (which means no taxis necessary from the airport, a HUGE plus), and virtually everything is easily accessible by foot or public transport. I have found the staff to be super nice, the rooms totally cute (small, yes, but it's an old building and SF is a big city, so most hotel rooms are going to be small, unless you want to pay $300/night and up!) and the little extras like morning coffee/afternoon wine are a nice touch. The only reason I didn't give "comfort" 4 stars is that it's true that the walls are thin and so you hear every noise as if it's right there with you (earplugs save the day). For the price, this place is a great value in my book, but you do have to be able to handle seeing very down-and-out people when you enter & exit the hotel. That's Big City life, people!

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank Dina E
Jaime G, Front Office Manager at Hotel Metropolis, responded to this reviewResponded May 1, 2013

Dear Dina E,

I'm delighted that we were able to exceed your expectation and that you found the Hotel Metropolis to be great! I have passed on your compliments to our Super nice staff and want to thank you for your contribution to Trip Advisor. In addition, I completely agree with you that our location is perfect making it accessible to downtown, BART and public transportation. We look forward to having you back so you may continue to enjoy our beautiful city San Francisco!

Reviewed April 22, 2013

Great hotel, great service, very clean and friendly. Location was not ideal and you could not get any sleep due to the noise outside. It was constantly very very loud and you could not walk I the hotel without 10 crackheads bums bothering you

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with Easytobook.com
Jaime G, Manager at Hotel Metropolis, responded to this reviewResponded April 23, 2013

Dear Chelsea A

Thank you for taking the time to offer your comprehensive review and we do look forward to your return. I'm happy to hear that you enjoyed your stay especially that you found our staff to be friendly, that our hotel is clean.
I am sorry your stay was not perfect due to the homeless issue in downtown San Francisco.

I'm glad that you decided to share your experience with the Trip advisor community