“A gem!”

Ranked #186 of 228 Hotels in San Francisco
Edmonton, Canada
“A gem!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 3, 2013

Wonderful stay. We were in town for a conference and this was one of the more affordable options in the area. Previous reviews were spot on. The area can be a little sketch at times but honestly we were never bothered by anyone. If you use the entrance through the lot you avoid the corner where there can be groups gathered. The front desk staff were fantastic and the rooms were a good size. Happy hour was a great addition and the coffee and tea in the morning were great to have. Thanks to the staff for making my first trip to San Francisco amazing, I will be back!

• Stayed April 2013
2 Thank YEG_2011
Jaime G, Front Office Manager at Hotel Metropolis, responded to this review, May 8, 2013
Dear YEG_2011,

I agree with you 100% that the Hotel Metropolis is a gem along with your 5 star review! I'm delighted that you had a wonderful stay and found our staff to be fantastic along with our spacious rooms. More importantly is that you gave us the opportunity to make your first trip to San Francisco Amazing and we thank you for that. I have passed your compliments to our staff and we look forward to having you back with us soon!

Haiyi Hotels

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (94)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
San Jose, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 3, 2013

We had our wedding guests stay here and we did as well for a night. The hotel is updated and the staff was extremely friendly and accommodating. They went and beyond in helping us with parking needs and even ensuring that the necessary rooms were ready before check-in. The area is sketchy on one side but fine on the other. The elevator was a tad slow because there's only one for all 9 floors, so be patient...there's also a staircase. Staff was great and everyone says hello every single time they see you. Location was great and we were able to walk to the Giants game (less than 2 miles) and a very short walk to Union Square.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank Michelle L
Dear Michelle L,

Thank you very much for your 5 star review and on behalf of our entire staff and myself we wanted to congratulate you again. We highly appreciate the feedback and the opportunity to provide outstanding to your guests and yourself on such a monumental occasion. We hope your travels lead you back to San Francisco soon and whenever you need to make a reservation feel free to reach out to me directly.

Best Wishes,

Haiyi Hotels
(415) 775-4600
jgonzalez@haiyi-hotels.com
Las Vegas, Nevada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 29, 2013

This hotel gets a bad rap in some reviews because of the nasty corner location right on the edge of the Tenderloin, a truly depressing section of SF that is right next to the main tourist center of Union Square. But for me, it's a perfect location because it's only 1 block from BART (which means no taxis necessary from the airport, a HUGE plus), and virtually everything is easily accessible by foot or public transport. I have found the staff to be super nice, the rooms totally cute (small, yes, but it's an old building and SF is a big city, so most hotel rooms are going to be small, unless you want to pay $300/night and up!) and the little extras like morning coffee/afternoon wine are a nice touch. The only reason I didn't give "comfort" 4 stars is that it's true that the walls are thin and so you hear every noise as if it's right there with you (earplugs save the day). For the price, this place is a great value in my book, but you do have to be able to handle seeing very down-and-out people when you enter & exit the hotel. That's Big City life, people!

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank Dina E
Jaime G, Front Office Manager at Hotel Metropolis, responded to this review, May 1, 2013
Dear Dina E,

I'm delighted that we were able to exceed your expectation and that you found the Hotel Metropolis to be great! I have passed on your compliments to our Super nice staff and want to thank you for your contribution to Trip Advisor. In addition, I completely agree with you that our location is perfect making it accessible to downtown, BART and public transportation. We look forward to having you back so you may continue to enjoy our beautiful city San Francisco!

San Francisco
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 22, 2013

Great hotel, great service, very clean and friendly. Location was not ideal and you could not get any sleep due to the noise outside. It was constantly very very loud and you could not walk I the hotel without 10 crackheads bums bothering you

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with Easytobook.com

Jaime G, Manager at Hotel Metropolis, responded to this review, April 23, 2013
Dear Chelsea A

Thank you for taking the time to offer your comprehensive review and we do look forward to your return. I'm happy to hear that you enjoyed your stay especially that you found our staff to be friendly, that our hotel is clean.
I am sorry your stay was not perfect due to the homeless issue in downtown San Francisco.

I'm glad that you decided to share your experience with the Trip advisor community

Luis Morales
Hotel Manager
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 22, 2013 via mobile

I stayed here before joining a tour as it departed from this hotel early. I read the reviews on tripadvisor before staying here so I was prepared for the area.

The information provided on here was so helpful. I ended up in a room where the dead bolt on the door will open if the fire alarm rings. Being a solo female traveller I was not keen on this. Spoke to the staff at reception and they changed my room straight away.

Rooms were basic. Not sure if cleaned well before me as I found long dark hair on one bed and in the bathroom.

Staff were great. They helped me organise a few last minute things to do as I did not plan very well.

There location is very convenient but the area is intimidating for a single female traveller. I came home by taxi at night and stayed in. I would have not been concerned going out longer if I was not by myself.

Overall basic hotel with great staff in an convenient area which is overrun by the homeless and addicts. If returning to San Fran I would definitely find a hotel in a safer area.

• Stayed April 2013
Jaime G, Manager at Hotel Metropolis, responded to this review, April 23, 2013
Dear SherryKisses,

Thank you for your comprehensive review. I’m glad you enjoyed parts of your stay, but I apologize it wasn't 100% perfect due to the homeless people downtown. We are currently working with local authorities to keep the homeless traffic in our block to a minimum.

I'm pleased to hear that your request of changing rooms was immediately taking care, and also our staff was able to help you in organizing your last minute plans.

eve though you mentioned that you will look for safer area in the future, but we will like for you to know that we take pride in our service and it will be a great pleasure if you choose our hotel again.

Luis Morales
Hotel Manager
Los Angeles, California
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 20, 2013

It's not fair to give this hotel a bad review because the hotel itself and the staff were very good. The woman at the front desk was especially helpful with check in, to restaurant suggestions, and giving us a guide to how to get around. The room was decent, clean, warm enough, felt safe. The outside of the hotel was not so nice. Lots of homeless people all around, sometimes people would be yelling for no reason, lots of people on drugs, and some prostitutes too. The area wasn't so bad because there was a really nice mall less than five minutes walking distance away. There were restaurants all around too. Transportation was also a short walk away. There are 20+ hotels in a mile radius of the hotel so it's a problem they all share in the area. If you can tolerate loud noise at night and homeless people all around then the hotel won't be a problem. The hotel has key locks for the elevators and stairways so you don't need to worry about people sneaking around the hotel who don't belong there.
You can easily get a taxi to get around if need be.
We got this hotel with our flight so the price was right.
I know it's not a hotel for everyone but we enjoyed our stay.

Room Tip: You might hear less street noise higher up.
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank 301JohnnyD
Jaime G, Front Office Manager at Hotel Metropolis, responded to this review, April 22, 2013
Dear Johnny D,

Thank you so much for taking the time to offer this review. Also, we appreciate your recognition of the great service you received from Jennifer upon checking in at the front desk. We look forward to your return to San Francisco.

San Diego, CA
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 19, 2013

The metropolis is clean, chic and has incredibly friendly staff that go above and beyond. We checked in to our room which was slightly small but unique - this hotel has personality! Bathroom had a pedestal sink and vintage style. The lobby is warm and the library provides a welcoming area to relax. We had a family emergency and had to depart quickly, the front desk staff had a taxi for us within minutes and were extremely sensitive during a difficult time. We will be back - caring staff that treat you like a valued guest and not just a number are not often found, especially in a city this size.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank 2CAW2
Dear 2CAW2,

Thank you for your 5 star review and contribution to the Trip advisor community. I definitely agree with you 100% that the Hotel Metropolis is clean, chic, with an incredibly friendly staff with tons of personality.

More importantly, I hope that your family emergency turned out for the better and that we were able to assist your family during a difficult time. We hope your travels lead you back to San Francisco and feel free to contact me directly when you make future reservations.

jgonzalez@haiyi-hotels.com