“Misleading hotel, not a good location”
Review of Hotel Metropolis

Ranked #185 of 228 Hotels in San Francisco
Vancouver, Canada
“Misleading hotel, not a good location”
Reviewed March 29, 2013

I checked in with a group of girls March 20th and we almost instantly were regretting our hotel choice for our 5 day trip. The clerk at front desk was so nice to us when we were checking in we thought we would give the hotel a chance. After walking around (during the day) we did not feel safe at all. When we came back from our dinner at night a homeless man told us to be very careful and to not stay around this area for long (that was definitely an eye opener, we checked out the next day).

I left a watch my dad had given me (even knew the exact spot I left it) but when I called the person who answered told me nothing was there and then transferred me to the housekeeping department (where I had to leave a message). I called back and explained that I was not able to reach anyone, she told me she would speak to them directly and give me a call back. I found it odd that she didn't ask me what it looked like so I tried to describe it anyways. Needless to say "they didn't see anything there" I am convinced someone took my watch as I completely stripped my luggage and my friend's luggage and we could not find anything. There are pictures of me wearing it that evening so clearly I brought it back to the hotel.

The rooms are tiny and definitely not insulated well. All night we could hear the street noise and the people next door. The bathroom kept making a strange noise every few minutes, we could hear it even with the door closed!

Unless you absolutely need to I would not recommend this hotel to anyone, especially if you wanted to stay in Union Square.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
Jaime G, Front Office Manager at Hotel Metropolis, responded to this review, March 30, 2013
Dear Erica G,

Please accept my apology that you did not enjoy your stay due to the downtown noise pollution and that you did not feel comfortable which caused you to leave early. However, I am glad that the service you received from our hotel staff warmed you up to give our property an opportunity.

I did investigate with the housekeeping manager and reviewed our lost and found log but unfortunately nothing was found in the room. In addition, I did share your comments with our housekeeping staff to ensure we continue to provide quick response in a timely manner as our housekeeping manager did in this case.

Thank you for letting us know about your experience and I’d be happy to have more feedback if you would like to contact me directly.

415 775 4600
jgonzalez@haiyi-hotels.com

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (95)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Glasgow, United Kingdom
Reviewed March 26, 2013

This Hotel was good value for money and although basic was a good base to stay if you want to be near the city centre.The homeless people outside and around the hotel can be a bit daunting and it seems you run a gauntlet of people asking for money,my wife was uncomfortable and a little scared but once in the city it was OK.Our room on the 7th floor was facing the main road and was a little noisy by cars during the day and early evening and the homeless during the night.I have worked the homeless community in my own city but this was a different scale.I dont blame them what`s happening San Francisco?
Alcatraz visit excellent and city tour excellent

Room Tip: Don`t go to this Hotel if you have a nervous disposition!!!
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Jaime G, Front Office Manager at Hotel Metropolis, responded to this review, March 27, 2013
Thank you for your comprehensive review. I’m glad you enjoyed parts of your stay, but I apologize it wasn’t 100% perfect due to the homeless people downtown. I'm pleased that you found our location convenient , our service to have exceeded your expectation and look forward to having stay with us again in the future.

Seattle, Washington
Reviewed March 18, 2013

My friend and I spent a few days in San Francisco for the St. Patrick's Day parade and celebrations. When we arrived I asked for a room at the back of the hotel because I had heard it could be noisy on the street side. The clerk didn't have a room available in back with our requested two beds so he moved us up another floor. The room was great! We had a balcony to watch the parade go by and we felt very safe and comfortable. The room was clean and the staff very friendly. We particularly enjoyed the close proximity to public transportation and a great restaurant and bar on the ground floor: Farmer John's. There are lots of homeless people on the street, but do not obstruct movement on the sidewalk.

Room Tip: The higher the better I believe.
4 Thank bartsbuds
Jaime G, Front Office Manager at Hotel Metropolis, responded to this review, March 20, 2013
Dear bartsbuds,

I am happy to hear that you enjoyed your stay and that we were able to assist in your St. Patrick’s day celebration by providing a great view! Recognizing our wonderful staff, great room and convenient location in this public way is much appreciated by our entire team.
We look forward to your next trip to San Francisco and will also pass on the kudos to Farmer Brown.

Santa Monica, California
Reviewed March 18, 2013

The only bad thing about this hotel the homeless and I think drug dealers on the street (which is only half block from the fancy Union square area).

Inside service is friendly and the rooms are nice and clean, but you need to ask for a top floor because the street is noisy.

Also the parking is $30/night, but is more or less the same for all hotels in the area .

3 Thank ximxc2
Dear ximxc2,

Thank you so much for offering your comments. I do appreciate you taking the time to recognize our staff, our nice clean rooms and convenient location. We hope your travels lead you back to San Francisco sometime soon.

Warm Regards,

Orlando, Florida
Reviewed March 16, 2013

This place was bad enough I actually had to leave. In fact, almost our entire group left. The hotel is in the center of the Tenderloin. You can't really have a less safe area in the city. Rooms were clean enough but paint was cracking, no central air or heat, no working heater in January, one tiny elevator that went out of service during the stay, housekeeping staff that does not pay attention to the DND, the list goes on. I ended up on a middle floor with a corner room. There is NO DEADBOLT ON THE DOOR. If the fire alarm goes off, this room will unlock for everyone to have access to it. I have to repeat this for it to sink in, if somebody pulls the fire alarm, everyone in the hotel will have access to your room. On a positive note, the top floor is actually nice. Rooms have balconies, beds are comfortable, linens are new, clean, and comfortable, and there is space to move around. But only on the top floor.

Room Tip: Only top floor.
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
2 Thank JeffreyChandler
Dear JeffreyChandler,

Thank you for sharing your feedback. Please accept my apologies that you did not enjoy your stay. We strive to provide great service and facilities, and as you can see from the many positive reviews preceding yours, we usually hit the mark. The majority of our guests love our location despite the problem of homeless in the downtown area, but I understand it may not be right for everyone.

I’m disappointed to hear that your room fell short of your expectations. We are always looking for ways to improve our facilities and we appreciate the feedback. As you mentioned in your review, the room you were in does not have a deadbolt due to compliance we have to follow with the S.F Fire department code in case of emergency. The Hotel Metropolis is an older building that when coupled with our cool pleasant weather year round permits us to only provide heating units in each room but in rare cases can provide oscillating fans to our guests

Every facility has challenges, but we consistently get great feedback about our housekeeping team. They are dedicated to providing superior service and I was saddened to see you did not enjoy your interactions with them. I would really appreciate it if you would reach out to be personally so that I can better understand any shortcomings.

Travelers are raving about these San Francisco hotels

UK
Reviewed March 12, 2013 via mobile

The street this hotel is on is extremely rough, there are drug dealers across the road and alot of homeless people. When we first arrived i was terrified, we were on the 2nd floor, through the night we could hear so much noise we couldnt sleep. Plus there was dry blood on the bedding and cabinet and there was no hot water. The next day we asked to move rooms, the staff were more than helpful and moved us to the 4th which was much much better. It was a lovely room and we felt alot safer. The hotel is 2 minutes from union square and the main cable car stop which is brilliant. There are loads of restaurants and shops around it. Just don't walk to the right of the hotel! As i said the staff are lovely, you get free wifi and tea/coffee in the mornings which is good.
I would recommend this hotel however i wouldnt stay again and just warn people to be aware of the area! And ask for a top floor room!

• Stayed February 2013
2 Thank bubkins
Dear bubkins,

Thank you for sharing your experience with us and the Trip advisor community!

Quite honestly I'm really concerned about your findings in the 1st room you were placed and would highly appreciate it if you could reach out to me directly to address and resolve these issues. However, I am happy that we were able to exceed your expectations after we moved you, that you found our staff to be helpful and lovely while enjoying free wifi and coffee/tea. We hope in the future you give us another chance upon your return to San Francisco.

415 775-4600
jgonzalez@haiyi-hotels.com
Dallas
Reviewed March 9, 2013

This 10-story converted apartment building from the early 1900's provides good accommodations for the price conscious traveler. A decent king room with fridge, TV, full bath in the city's center for under $100/night is not easy to find. Even though at the edge of the Tenderloin district, one is immediately on Powell Street to walk to Union Square or catch the trolley as well as Market Street to ride the bus, tram or subway (direct airport connection). The hotel as a modern, European flair. Clean throughout. rooms are a bit smaller than chain hotels. Wonderful rain-shower head with excellent water pressure and hot as you please. Rooms on the 9th or 10th floor have a view. Yes, there is traffic noise and the occasional ruckus caused by the locals. The in-house Farmer Brown restaurant, independent from the hotel, is highly recommended (dinner, brunch). Great Southern Cooking, good brews and full bar, friendly service. No breakfast offered by the hotel, but a cup of coffee in the library. Desktop and printer available to guests. Great breakfast can be had at Cafe Bellini at 239 Powell (three blocks to walk). Day trip tip: Take #71 bus on Market to Haight/Ashbury and the Golden Gate Park. Rent a bicycle from SF Bike Rental at the end of Haight ($23 on-line), buy picnic stuff at Whole foods next door, ride the park to the wind mill and back to the conservatory, cross town through the Presidio, get over the Golden Gate Bridge and back (no toll for bikes), ride along the shore and drop off bike at the rental location at Fisherman's Wharf, take F-line trolley from Jones Street back to Market/Mason. Also: various car rental companies are located a couple of blocks away at O'Farrell. Dollar allows you to drop at SFO without surcharge.

Room Tip: the higher up the better. Rooms facing Market/Mason intersection catching more noise, but have a bit...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
4 Thank HermanTheGerman-inTX
Jaime G, Front Office Manager at Hotel Metropolis, responded to this review, March 19, 2013
Dear HermanTheGerman-inTX,

Thank you so much for your detailed review of the Hotel Metropolis, the Farmer Brown restaurant and your eventful itinerary! I was delighted to see that you got to add some really nice pics especially of the hotel facade showcasing the ram on the 9th floor. In addition, I'm glad that you enjoyed our location, that you found our hotel clean, modern and one of my favorite is the great water pressure with water as hot as you please. Again, thank you for your feedback and welcome you anytime back to out hotel!