“Cheap and central”
Review of Hotel Metropolis

Ranked #177 of 230 Hotels in San Francisco
Reviewed February 27, 2013 via mobile

It's hard to find a location that is this convenient and central at this price. I was attending a conference at the Moscone Center, which is in walking distance from here. There are several good places to get breakfast nearby, so this was perfect for me; a business traveler on a budget. I will stay here again, but I would not stay here with my kids. You are approached by homeless people non-stop in this area. Then again, that's pretty much the situation on Market Street all the way from where it starts.

3  Thank John L
HaiyiHotels D, Director of Sales at Hotel Metropolis, responded to this reviewResponded March 6, 2013

Dear John L,

We certainly appreciate that you took the time to share your review about your recent stay with us and the Trip Advisor community. We are pleased that you enjoyed our accommodations and convenient location to Moscone Center! We hope to welcome you back on your next trip to San Francisco, thanks again!

There are newer reviews for Hotel Metropolis

Reviewed February 27, 2013

My family and I stayed in this hotel last week. We all like it. It is close to shopping and Union Square. The staffs at the front desk and valet parking were very nice. I will definitely stay at this hotel when visit SF next time.

Stayed: February 2013, traveled with family
2  Thank Angel L

Dear Angel L,

Thank you very much for your review of our hotel. We are thrilled to hear that you enjoyed your stay and wanted to let you know how much we appreciate your taking the time to share your experience on Trip Advisor. We look forward to welcoming you and your family back as our guest on your next visit to San Francisco!

Reviewed February 25, 2013

We stayed in this hotel 2 weeks ago. If you look this hotel up it is quite misleading as it looks much nicer than it actually is. I do not know which room is shown but it certainly wasnt either of ours, although the beds were comfortable and the linen was clean and the staff friendly. Had it not been for the poor location of this hotel, i would not be writing this review. The Tenderloin area is well reported and it is definitely not the best part of town to stay. We only stayed one night and moved to The Holiday Inn at Fishermans Wharf, a much nicer area, where it felt safe to walk around. In the Tenderloin area, there were numerous drug addicts, down and outs, sleeping on the pavements. We watched from the bedroom window at gangs congregating on the corner, some of them walking down the road looking in car windows. We heard someone screaming, we watched a man with a cardboard box under his arm stagger along the pavement, walking in circles, wandering in the road, cars driving round him. Obviously some of these people are homeless at no fault of their own. Others choose this life of drugs, alcohol and poverty. In the morning two police cars stopped and approached a figure lying under a lamp post and it took ages to wake him up. Police sirens were sounding all night. My daughter and I had a 21 year old girl and an 18 year old girl with us and being 4 women on their own we thought it was intimidating walking down the road and the girls chose not to go out in the evening because of the area. The hotel was ok but we certainly would not recommend staying in this area.

Room Tip: Stay at The Holiday Inn, same price, good area, comfortable rooms, friendly staff. Still not far fro...
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled with family
2  Thank Pat R

Dear Pat R,

We certainly appreciate that you took the time to share your review about your recent stay with us and the Trip Advisor community. We are pleased that overall, you enjoyed our accommodations and service of our team! However, we are sorry to hear that you ended up checking out early. As with any large metropolitan city, San Francisco definitely has it shares of major attractions, retail therapy and the essence of the urban, concrete jungle. Although you ended up relocating, we hope that you enjoyed the remainder of your visit in our wonderful city and that you experienced all that San Francisco has to offer!

Reviewed February 25, 2013

As a former resident and frequent traveler to San Francisco, I've stayed at a variety of area hotels. This was one I was pleasantly surprised by. The location is great, at the center of everything you need to get around town. Yes, the side street is shifty feeling and not for everyone, but my guest and I never felt unsafe. Just good practice to keep your city wits about you, you're in the heart of downtown after all. The staff was very nice and helpful, the rooms were clean and well appointed, with nice quirky touches. Noise through walls is a little annoying, only once over the course of 4 nights, but that's the challenge of an old building. Water temperature was irregular, but again, just an old building challenge. You can't beat the value and I'd definitely stay again.

Room Tip: Street noise can be tough, try to get backside of building or higher up.
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled with friends
2  Thank Elizabeth F
Jaime G, Front Office Manager at Hotel Metropolis, responded to this reviewResponded March 4, 2013

Dear Elizabeth F,

Thank you so much for sharing your perspective as a former resident and frequent traveler to San Francisco. I'm happy that you were pleased with your stay and that you found our rooms clean, the staff was nice,helpful and that our location is great. We hope that your travels bring you back soon and look forward to your return.

Jaime Gonzalez
Front Office Manager

Reviewed February 23, 2013

Thank you so much to Jay and Fiel of the front desk for the excellent customer service...for the warm accommodation ...

Likewise to Jessie for fixing my sink at the the bathroom at the soonest time.
He was really very helpful...thank you again...Jessie

My room is 612

Richard T

• Stayed: February 2013
2  Thank pekinghousesf

Dear Richard T,

Thank you very much for your contribution to the Trip Advisor community and it is also great to hear such positive feedback. I'm delighted that Jay and Fiel at the front desk provided excellent customer service along with our prompt response to fix your sink by our engineer Jessie. I will definitely pass on your compliments to our staff and we look forward to having you back soon!

Jaime Gonzalez
Front Office Manager

Reviewed February 19, 2013

My friends and I stayed here for my friends Bachelorette Party, and we had a great time! The hotel was priced very reasonably, and while it is in a semi scary part of town, its only one block from shopping on union square, and clubs/dancing! (if 6 girls could handle this neighborhood... anyone can!)

The staff was very nice, even having to deal with 6 rowdy girls having a fun night out! The hotel is old, but they have done a pretty good job at cleaning it up and revamping it to have a cute hip feel.

I would definitely recommend for a one night stay if you want to be close to downtown, but you don't want to pay 200/night.

Room Tip: Thin walls (old hotel) so a room that is higher up would probably be better... and if you dont like...
  • Stayed: June 2012, traveled with friends
3  Thank Chelsea E
HaiyiHotels D, Director of Sales at Hotel Metropolis, responded to this reviewResponded February 20, 2013

Dear Chelsea E,

Thank you very much for your review of our hotel. We are thrilled to hear that you and your friends enjoyed your stay and wanted to let you know how much we appreciate your taking the time to share your experience on Trip Advisor. We look forward to welcoming you back as our guest on your next visit to San Francisco! Our very best wishes to your friend on her upcoming big day!!!

Reviewed February 14, 2013

I've just got back from Frisco after staying at the hotel metropolis, and found it to be good.

Location
As most reviewers have commented its in the tenderloin district (just) and yes this is one of the more bohemian areas of the city. I walked thru it as a lone traveller, and was fine, yes i survived!! :-). Please dont get hung up on this, as neigbourhoods quickly merge into eachother. But also by being in this area it also means its perfect and easy for just about everything else.. 3mins walk to Powell BART station which is very convenient for getting to and from the airport. Also for connections to public transport which are located again in the same area the hotel is excellent. 7-8 mins to union square. There is a homeless issue in the city, not just in that area, so it's something you just have to deal with, and be prepared for. It can be a little noisy at night, but your in a town centre, so it's to be expected, no different to when I've stayed in New York.

I had very little contact with front desk, apart from checking in and out and asking for a map, but I cannot fault them at all, well done.

Rooms
My room was a good size, and clean, and had been nicely decorated and was clean. My only negative observation was that the bathtub was very worn, with enamel missing, so whilst not very nice looking didnt cause me any issues, as I just shower.

Overall
I would recommend the hotel, based on its price and good central location.

And one final tip to everyone is.... READ TRIP ADVISOR BEFORE YOU BOOK! I really don't understand people who come on here and complain about a hotel after they have just booked it and before they go!!? Why do people do that?

Use the reviews to get an idea of what a place is like and decide on balance whether a place is right for you, no place is perfect, you just have to decide whether you want to pay more for something probably more perfect. In the hotel industry generally you pay for what you get.

On a final note I've just realised I've left a shirt in my room, so I'm going o have o phone hem up, and see what they can do for me.. :-(

Nigel

PS: I'm giving the hotel a 4 out of 5, not because its a Fairmont or a 5 star hotel, but because on balance it offers people a good standard of hotel in a convenient location for the right price.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled solo
4  Thank nigelh

Dear nigelh,

Your comments about your stay with us are much appreciated and we thank you for taking the time to share your experience with us and the Trip Advisor community! We are delighted to hear that you enjoyed the accommodations of our hotel. We also appreciate your very honest feedback regarding our location as this will certainly help many of our future guests better enjoy their visit into our city. We hope to welcome you back to San Francisco on your next visit.

PS - In regards to your shirt, please do not hesitate to ask for Luis Morales, Hotel Manager or Jaime Gonzalez, Front Office Manager at 415-775-4600 and they'll certainly be more than happy to coordinate the return.