“Nice hotel, not so nice location”
3 of 5 bubbles Review of Hotel Metropolis

Hotel Metropolis
Ranked #186 of 228 Hotels in San Francisco
London, United Kingdom
“Nice hotel, not so nice location”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 13, 2012

The hotel cannot be faulted, friendly and helpful staff, nice spacious room, comfy beds and decent bathroom. However, the area isn't the best as it's near the 'tenderloin' an area we were advised to avoid. There was no issue coming and going from the hotel during the day, but would not advise walking around the general area during the night.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank joytotravel1
HaiyiHotels D, Director of Sales at Hotel Metropolis, responded to this review, December 14, 2012
Dear joytotravel1,

We certainly appreciate that you took the time to share your review about your recent stay with us and the Trip Advisor community. I am pleased that you enjoyed our accommodations and service provided by our staff! Regarding our location, we are located right in the heart of San Francisco so your experiences of our location are similar to that of any large metropolitan city however, being only one-block away from the Powell Street Cable Cars and the Westfield San Francisco Centre does make our hotel quite desirable for it's proximity to all points within the city. Overall, we're glad you enjoyed our hotel and our city and we hope to welcome you back on a future visit! Thanks again!

Best regards,
Haiyi Hotels Worldwide

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (94)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 3, 2012

This hotel is absolutely disgusting . The rooms are run down and the staff is terrible! The location is in the tenderloin to give some idea. You can look out your windows and see people selling drugs below. No place to bring kids!! Also , the hotel says they are pet friendly for a $25.00 fee. If you plan on staying for more than 1 night with a pet expect to see a $250 deep cleaning fee. Apparently animal hair coverage isn't included in the original $25.00 pet fee.

• Stayed November 2012
1 Thank vejo0602
Jaime G, Front Office Manager at Hotel Metropolis, responded to this review, December 12, 2012
Thank you for your review and contribution to the Trip advisor community. I am disappointed that you did not enjoy your stay and most alarming is that you found the hotel and the staff to be not up to your standards. As previous reviews have stated we consistently get great feedback about our front desk, nice rooms, stylish hotel and we are always looking for ways to improve our communication and our service. In addition, we are a pet friendly hotel in order to cater to our guests traveling with four-legged family members. However, we do have a deep cleaning fee we enforce when the room has to be put out of order for a couple days due to the condition it was left in and not being able to offer it to other guests who are seeking reservations. Thank you again for your feedback and hope you give us another chance in the future.

Travelers are raving about these San Francisco hotels

1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 29, 2012 via mobile

Taxi dropped us at the hotel and warned us to be careful as its not the best place in town. Got harassed for money before even got out of the taxi. Publicity picture very deceiving as it is small and dull. Rooms very noisy as small, our room face the Main Street and it was very loud and not very clean (dust everywhere), the hotel was very dull and needs redecorated. Our hotel was booked as part of a package, as soon as we arrived, we sort alternative accommodation as we did no feel safe in the location and as this was the last trip off our tour we did not want our last holiday memory to be this hotel.

Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends
2 Thank Steven L
Please accept my apologies that you did not enjoy your stay. We are constantly working with the city of San Francisco to assist us in order to reduce noise pollution from outside sources that unfortunately we do not have direct control of. I am surprised that you found the hotel to be dull and dusty given that we have a great housekeeping staff that takes pride in their work and performs meticulous cleaning on a daily basis. If you would please reach out to me so I can gather additional information to address the issues you experienced I would appreciate it. Thank you for your review.

(415) 775-4600
jgonzalez@haiyi-hotels.com
San Francisco
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 20, 2012

I came to SF for a conference. This was a great hotel. The only downside at all was the rather low lighting in the room. What's wrong with proper lighting? I mean, I just gave up on the idea of reading myself to sleep, given the rather low intensity of available light.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
Review collected in partnership with Easytobook.com

1 Thank Robey C
Jaime G, Front Office Manager at Hotel Metropolis, responded to this review, November 25, 2012
I'm delighted that you enjoyed your stay and thank you for your review. I do apologize that the lighting in your room was not adequate and would like to further investigate with your assistance so I may resolve this. If you could please reach out to me either at 415 775 4600 or jgonzalez@haiyi-hotels.com I would highly appreciate it. Thanks again!

Los Angeles, California
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 19, 2012

Hotel Metropolis is in the thick of the Tenderloin where panhandlers and the down and out homeless congregate. Inside it's a stylish hotel with friendly and accomodating staff. The beds were super comfortable, the wifi easy to use, and the bath was perfect. Attending a conference at the nearby Hilton, we saved a lot of money by booking at the Metropolis using the AAA rates.

Room Tip: You can take the BART to Powell Street station and walk to the hotel
3 Thank drleanna
Thank you very much for your contribution to the Trip Advisor community with your review. It makes me smile when I read a review like yours complimenting our location, stylish hotel and the backbone of a good experience, our friendly staff. I hope you had a good time attending your conference right up the block at the Hilton and great tip on taking Bart! We hope to see you here again.

Newtown
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 19, 2012

My travel agent back home in Sydney booked this place for me, and on my way here from other destinations I started to read reviews on tripadvisor about the Metropolis, and was starting to become a little concerned.
But upon arrival and the following days I have found this to be a great place, sure it’s not the Hilton, but you’re not paying for it either. Yes, there are homeless people, but what city doesn’t? This is a clean, well presented, comfortable hotel that is great value for money.
Jaime, the front office manager, is always helpful in answering the usual tourist questions we all have when we arrive in a new town.
So, I’m not sure what some of the other reviewers experienced here, and I‘m not questioning that, just my experience at this hotel has been a positive one.

Stayed November 2012, traveled solo
2 Thank Kerry E
I'm overjoyed that you were pleased with your stay and that we exceeded your expectations! The Hotel Metropolis has a great location, walking distance to downtown and our staff is a collection of amazing individuals. I'm glad that I was able to provide you with the necessary information we all seek as travelers to a new destination. We hope that your travels will lead you back to San Francisco in the future and decide to come back to the Hotel Metropolis!

Louisville, Kentucky
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 19, 2012

I just spent six nights at the Hotel Metropolis. I had booked on Priceline, non-refundable, or else I would have left as soon as I saw the room. This was the worst hotel experience I've ever had. I'm 44 years old. I've traveled a lot. I've been to San Francisco more than a dozen times. This was not only the worst hotel I've ever been at in S.F., but anywhere, ever. And yes, that includes the $50 roadside motels I stayed at with my parents back in the 70's. The room was simply horrible. It was shabby and small and dirty. The bathroom was tiny and the tub's surface lining was peeling off in huge chunks. there was mold on the tiles. The single-pane windows were drafty. The bathroom had no heater. It was freezing to take a shower and the hot water often ran out. The actual hotel room itself was freezing cold, too. The heater didn't keep the room comfortable. It was in the 50's outside at night, so it was typical for November. So I presume the rooms are always cold.

Even worse than the room was the safety factor and the noise. I could hear everything going on in the street below. As many other reviewers have said, there are many homeless people in front of the hotel. They stand and scream and yell. Sometimes for 30 minutes straight. On my first night, I personally witnessed a drug deal taking place. That was scary and beyond disturbing. The same drug dealers were there every night and the air was filled with the scent of weed. If you have children, don't even think about bringing them to this hotel. You'd be exposing them to the worst of the worst.

All of this was terrible, but the worst was when, after two nights, we complained to the front desk clerk. She clearly had heard similar complaints before. She immediately offered us a choice of two new rooms. Both were much nicer than our original room. Still noisy and still cold, but bigger and cleaner and higher up, so the noise factor was lessened.

My coworker arrived two days later. He was also given a terrible room. He complained, and they gave him a better room, too.

What kind of hotel does this? Gives their WORST rooms first, unless you complain? That's terrible customer service. And why are there so many horrible rooms? Why can't they upgrade every room?

So, if you like dumpy, shabby hotels with bad customer service and poor security and safety, opt for the Hotel Metropolis. If you want something better, go anywhere else. Even a Motel 6. This place is horrific.

Room Tip: Pick another hotel. Do not stay here.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
Please accept my apologies that you did not enjoy your stay. In regards to the noise that you experienced from outside the hotel we try to minimize this as best we can by having our security guard rover our property and contacting local law enforcement to address issues we have no control over. We are currently working on some design changes to reduce noise pollution and to upgrade our hotel rooms and lobby. We really appreciate the feedback as we are always looking for ways to improve and manners to address problems before they arise. I would greatly appreciate a moment of your time if you could reach out to me so that I may resolve any outstanding problems. I can be reached at 415 775 4600 or jgonzalez@haiyi-hotels.com.

415 775 4600