“The good: Location, price The bad: Location, aged hotel”
3 of 5 bubbles Review of Hotel Metropolis

Hotel Metropolis
Ranked #185 of 227 Hotels in San Francisco
Los Angeles, California
“The good: Location, price The bad: Location, aged hotel”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 6, 2012

First the good. The hotel is a block from the Powell Station so it is easy to get to, walking distance to the Moscone, right in the heart of tourist downtown. And for such a great location, the price is good. But the hotel itself is nothing spectacular. The rooms are small but clean. The plumbing partially updated. An odd arrangement of automatic bathroom light by motion detector (which means of course that you wake up everyone in the room and yourself when trotting to the toilet in the middle of the night...not good). The staff was courteous. As others have noted, the neighborhood is challenged and if you don't like walking over passed out alcoholics on your way to Market Street, this is not the place for you. On the other hand, there are a lot of good cheap neighborhood restaurants located within a block or two. This is the Tenderloin after all.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
Jaime G, Front Office Manager at Hotel Metropolis, responded to this review, November 13, 2012
Thank you for the comprehensive review and we really appreciate the feedback. I'm delighted that you found our location great and that your interactions with our staff were courteous. In addition, sometimes the area can be challenging but we strive to surpass those obstacles by providing great service. Thanks again for your review.

jgonzalez@haiyi-hotels.com

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (93)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Singapore, null, Singapore
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 3, 2012

I stayed in this hotel in late May. I stored my luggage with the hotel and left it for 3 days. But when I came back to fetch it, the luggage was lost. It turned out that the front desk didn't even put the luggage into storage space. It was left there for 3 days and exposed to the danger of being taken away by anyone. I missed the flight to Singapore because my visa was in that luggage. The experience was terrible.

In the past 4 months, I have been in contact with 2 staff of this hotel. They promised that the hotel will compensate for my lost luggage and half of the cost of the new flight I booked to Singapore. However, their responses to my emails became less and less frequent. They keep giving empty promises and let me down.

I still wish to solve this issue in a polite manner. Please try to deal with me seriously. Because the reputation of hotel metropolis may be jeopardized due to ill treatment to your customers.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled with friends
Jaime G, Front Office Manager at Hotel Metropolis, responded to this review, November 7, 2012
Mr. Zhang,

We deeply apologize for the inconvenience you experienced in the handling of your luggage. Our corporate office has been working on this issue along with our Insurance company and again do apologize for the delay. An insurance agent will be contacting you shortly and if you need any assistance please contact me directly Mr. Zhang.

jgonzalez@haiyi-hotels.com

Travelers are raving about these San Francisco hotels

Eastbourne, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 2, 2012

by reading trip advsor i was panicking about the hotel having read some of the reviews on trip advsor
i must say on arriving we were dealt with quickly and efficiently by the front desk and we headed for the 9th floor.
our room was right next to the elevator.i feared the worst.
on entering the room we found a reasonable size room which was clean and tidy and plenty of space to hang our clothes.
the room could possibly have done with double glazing as you could hear the traffic down below,but it wasnt a major issue.apart from that our 4 day stay was ok we experienced no problems.
yes their are homeless people near the entrance and beggers and buskers but we saw these all over the city so no big deal.
for a budget hotel it is fine.yes you can find fault with it if you want but i dont know what some people want sometimes from a hotel room.
the location is ideal and i personally wouldnt hesitate in using this hotel again if i ever go back to san francisco

Room Tip: have a high room,possibly for a view and if your a light sleeper
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank bazmandross
I’m so glad you enjoyed your stay, for taking advantage of our great location and that we exceeded your expecations. We are always striving to provide superior service to all our guests despite the challenges that displaced residents of San Francisco have on our downtown, I hope your travels do lead you back to San Francisco and do choose our hotel again.

Dudley, England, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 31, 2012

I couldn't have been happier with this small but friendly hotel. We were unable to stay in the same room for our entire stay, but it didn't matter at all, either of the rooms would have been great. The rooms are cleaned & serviced every day and were spotlessly clean. The staff were certainly the friendliest and most helpful I have ever known.

The neighbourhood is great, lots of places to eat, with the locals instead of tourists, and you are a 1 minute walk away from the bus stops to take you either into the centre of town, or into Castro. We walked into & from Castro a couple of times, its hilly - like the rest of San Francisco and really no big deal.

If you're expecting valet parking, a health spa and room service, this isn't the hotel for you. This is somewhere great to rest in between days enjoying the city, with a small staff team that you will get to know. There is no lift for this 2 storey building, which could be an issue for some.

Room Tip: Ask for one of the bigger rooms.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Mike K
HaiyiHotels D, Director of Sales at Hotel Metropolis, responded to this review, November 2, 2012
Dear Mike K,

Thank you very much for your review of our hotel. I am thrilled to hear that you enjoyed your stay and wanted to let you know how much we appreciate your taking the time to share your experience on Trip Advisor. I am also very pleased to hear that you enjoyed the service of our team and that they were able to create such a memorable experience for you during your stay. We look forward to welcoming you back as our guest on your next visit to San Francisco!

Best regards,

Nick Dalisay
Area Director of Sales
London
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 28, 2012

We stayed at this hotel for two nights before we flew on to Hawaii, it showed you the real San Francisco and a different way of living. We found the hotel fine decent sized rooms hotel staff were very nice happy and helpful! Hotel metropolis is convenient it is right near a big shopping centre (Westfield) you can catch the tram and go all the way down to fishermans wharf and pier 39 where there is lots of shops entertainment and restaurants. We went to Alcatraz which was amazing and quite cheap we done an audio tour which takes you all around the jail and gives you an insight on what life was like being an Alcatraz inmate, we also got to do a city tour we went on a coach and visited places like the Golden Gate Bridge, down town San Fran, fishermans wharf and china town I Highley recommend these tours they were very interesting and shows you the city. The hotel is located at the end of the tenderloin which is quite a rough area and there is always a lot of homeless people around but they never bother you. At night the area can also get quite noisy but this didn't bother us as we were so tired we slept through it but I do know that it bothers some people. Overall hotel metropolis is a reasonable priced city hotel that is good to stay for a couple of nights it is not the ritz so if you want luxury don't stay here then complain about it. We came to San Francisco to check out the state and explore the lifestyle here! :)

Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Jaime G, Front Office Manager at Hotel Metropolis, responded to this review, October 30, 2012
Thank you for your feedback and your comprehensive review. I’m glad that you enjoyed our great location and took advantage of it by selecting to experience a city tour to cover quite a bit of sight seeing in just a couple days! In addition, I’m delighted that you found your interactions with our staff happy and helpful, they are an outstanding collection of individuals that take pride in providing great service. I will definitely pass-on your compliments and look forward to having you stay with us in the future. Have fun in Hawaii!

Haiyi Hotels Manager
manhattan beach
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 24, 2012

The hotel is nice and a reasonable rate but in a very crappy neighborhood. Loud, noisy, and drunk guests is what you will find here. I warned by the hotel desk clerk and my cab drive not to walk around the neighborhood at 930pm at night. Great, prisoner in my hotel room for the night. If you're traveling as a couple or a guy you may want to consider it.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank biztravelgirl21
Jaime G, Manager at Hotel Metropolis, responded to this review, October 29, 2012
I am very happy that you found the hotel nice and we consistently find ways to make our rate competitive in order to open ours doors to wonderful ambassadors from all walks of life to have a chance to experience San Francisco.

In regards to our location, our neighborhood is located Downtown bordering the Tenderloin District, which sometimes results in panhandlers wondering around Downtown. Although not necessarily the most luxurious part of town, we are continuity working with the city officials to partake in proactive measures to assist the number of displaced residents of San Francisco.

Thank you again for your feedback and we hope to have the opportunity to welcome you back to Hotel Metropolis on a future visit to San Francisco.

Luis Morales
Hotel Manager
California
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 22, 2012

This is loudest hotel I've ever stayed at, and that's saying alot. Beds are so soft, pillows so big, bathrooms without enamel on their bathtubs, toilet seats falling off. HOMELESS everywhere, sirens all night long. NO A/C!!!!!I Where in the US does a hotel room not have climate control?????? For 180.00/nt ----the WORST HOTEL ever!!!! 5 of us -3 different rooms---all GROSS! Found out at checkout most people pay $39.00/nt US---that's about right. If you get this rate, you're walking distance to metro, Bart, Union Square, China town, and NorthBeach. But you really need to be in good shape/fit to handle the walking.Pay more money to stay elsewhere is my opinion.

Room Tip: Stay somewhere else
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
Jaime G, Front Office Manager at Hotel Metropolis, responded to this review, October 23, 2012
Please accept my apologies that you did not enjoy your stay. We are continuing to evolve our facilities in order to reduce noise pollution while trying to stay true to the natural charm of our amazing location that so many of our guests return for year after year. I hope you will give us another chance in the future as we continue these efforts. I would also encourage you to reach out to me personally for additional feedback so I can rectify those issues.