“Great staff, great attitude”

Four Seasons Hotel San Francisco
Ranked #12 of 229 Hotels in San Francisco
London, United Kingdom
“Great staff, great attitude”
Reviewed July 6, 2011

Top of the line service which seemed natural and unforced make this place. As a longtime Japan resident, I can say I found the Four Seasons one of the only US hotels that can rival this country for service.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled on business
FSSanFrancisco, Front Office Manager at Four Seasons Hotel San Francisco, responded to this review, July 9, 2011
We are glad that you enjoyed the service at the hotel and in particular the staff interactions. We hope to welcome you back in the near future.
Four Seasons San Francisco

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (289)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Zurich, Switzerland
Reviewed July 5, 2011

Driving to the hotel a little hard for the first time as you have to do a couple of blocks detour to get to the around the back parking.. Once you know it's fine.. On arriving got the usual friendly & welcoming service from the valet.. Then you jump into the lift to the 5th floor to check in.. Again the front desk staff were everything you expect from the Four Seasons, friendly, helpful & welcoming.. The room was great, clean,tidy & had a great view & our luggage arrived 5mins behind us.. Quick freshen up & time to explore.. Generally in a Four Seasons you get to feel like your in a home away from home & not so much a hotel.. But here it just didn't seem to feel that way.. Usually all the staff you encounter wish you a god day/evening whatever.. But not here.. Even the entrance staff just open the door if your lucky but seem scared to or just indifferent to even speak.. This wasn't the case with everyone but in general I'm sad to say it was.. You had to ask for everything & at times it felt like"what are you asking me for?".. In the bars & restaurants normal service was resumed with friendly & helpful staff with excellent service & good food..All in all a very good hotel but when your used to the normal quality & friendly service of Four Seasons Hotel which in general is always the same world wide it's easy to see things when they don't seem to be what you expect.!?!

• Stayed June 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Swissbritt
Ottawa, Canada
Reviewed July 3, 2011

The location is ideal — on Market Street, a few minutes from Union Square. The view from your room through those massive windows is everything you can imagine. Most important of all is that, in keeping with the Four Seasons philosophy, the lovely hotel offers a civilized stay.
From the pleasantness of the people at reception to the friendliness of the chambermaids, to the warmth of the bar and restaurant staff, this is a hotel eager to guarantee you a comfortable, enjoyable experience. And unlike some so-called luxury hotels, there is no pretentiousness or snobbery here.
The bedrooms are comfortable, functional and tastefully appointed. There is a work area and easy chair with proper lighting for reading and recreation. The room safe is unusually large. The bathrooms are marble and well-stocked with soaps and shampoo etc. The bathtub looks luxurious, a temptation to anyone in the mood for a long soak, and the lavatory and shower sensibly occupy separate alcoves.
My single experience of room service was excellent. I used the restaurant for breakfast and when I ordered pancakes, the waiter suggested I might want the short stack rather than the full amount. I took his advice, the serving was ample, and I was impressed by the fact that he went out of his way to make a useful suggestion.
This is a hotel in which everything meshes exquisitely.

Oakland, CA
Reviewed July 2, 2011

highly recommend the lounge for an easy meal with great cocktails

Boca Raton Fl
Reviewed June 13, 2011

Hotel is in the heart of the city at market and grand. Union square is a very short walk. Every time I go there I have a fantastic time. The rooms are classic four seasons, great views, and furnishings. The dining room looks down at market street giving a nice view for breakfast. The lobby bar is a nice place to relax after a busy day, great wine list

• Stayed December 2010, traveled with family
Honolulu
Reviewed June 12, 2011

My husband and I spent 3 nights here on our way to Europe, having canceled our trip to Japan because of the earthquake aftermath. My favorite hotel in the world in the Four Seasons Chinzanso in Tokyo, so almost any hotel is bound to suffer by comparison. Still, I hadn't expected all the problems with the hotel that is ranked in guidebooks as one of the two top hotels in San Francisco.

The bed, amenities, bathroom, standard of cleanliness were all what one would expect from a Four Seasons hotel, which is why I gave it 4 stars. The room was very ordinary in terms of decor, the best features being a window seat and an alcove for the desk. But we learned after going to bed that we had "paid" for that extra space by being next to the service elevators, and the swooshing woke us at 5 a.m. The sound proofing was so bad in the alcove that we could hear a phone ring as if in our room and loud voices. The heat came in through the air-conditioning ducts at the ceiling level, so our faces were hot while our feet were cold. And we couldn't keep the heat at a constant temperature. And though we were on the top floor of the hotel, the residences were above us and we had noisy people overhead. Also the black-out curtains overlap nicely, but then the morning light comes in over the top of them. Watch out for Room 1716!

The staff was incredibly friendly. Not just smiling "Good mornings" but a real attempt at a conversation. But the friendliness in the end didn't make up for all the glitches in service, ranging from a robe without a sash, a caller being told that my husband wasn't registered at the hotel despite assurances to me that he had been, a higher charge for local phone calls than listed in the room (I was given a credit when I complained). And then there were the odd charges in the restaurant. I ordered chicken soup my first night and was given a bowl that was more stew than soup for $12. My husband ordered it for lunch and it came in a flat soup dish with less in it. On our final day we were again given bowls of it, but mostly broth. We were unhappy, and then learned we had been charged only $6 per bowl. A server told me that I could order a half portion of oatmeal for breakfast, but if that's so, why isn't it on the menu? And way before we left, I asked to have our luggage collected at 11:45 but had to call twice more to get anyone to come.

So given that we left more tired than when we arrived, I will look for another hotel in San Francisco on our next visit.

Room Tip: Ask for a room away from ALL elevators.
  • Stayed May 2011, traveled as a couple
2 Thank susanmccallum
San Francisco, California
Reviewed June 9, 2011

I stayed at the Four Seasons in San Francisco in November 2010 during a business trip. During my stay, I spent a lot of time in the hotel and attended meetings in the ballroom and conference rooms. Overall, it's a lovely hotel, with the sophistication and good service you would expect from a Four Seasons.

If you're driving to the hotel, it can be a little difficult to access the entrance. You'll make a series of turns to get around the side of the hotel, then drive down a poorly marked alley to reach the valet area. You can either valet or park in an adjacent self-park garage. Once parked, registration was quick and easy. I was given a south-facing room on an upper floor, with a nice view towards AT&T park. The room itself was quite nice. Decor was subdued and elegant and the room was spacious and clean. It was very quiet and I was able to get an undisturbed night's sleep.

During my stay at the Four Seasons, service was excellent. Every single staff member that I spoke with was helpful and personable. The food (both banquet food in the ballroom and room service food) was great, although certainly not inexpensive. I had no problems at all during my stay. The only real criticism I could give here is that the hotel doesn't have a lot of personality. There's nothing unique or interesting going on here-- just solid, traditional elegance. I'd definitely stay here again if someone else was paying for it!

• Stayed November 2010, traveled on business