“A Very Pleasant Stay!”

Ranked #122 of 229 Hotels in San Francisco
Atlanta
“A Very Pleasant Stay!”
Reviewed August 25, 2007

This was the most reasonably priced room I could find, with many tourists and a major convention in town. I loved staying in Chinatown, and the hotel is in walking distance of many tourist attractions. The rooom was clean and very quiet, although somewhat small. It was a short bus ride to the Convention Center. I would stay here again.

• Liked — The location and the value.
  • Disliked — The room size and the limited breakfast.
  • Stayed August 2007, traveled on business
    • Check in / front desk

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (56)
  • Hebrew first
Midwest
Reviewed July 21, 2007

We just returned from a trip to the west coast and after staying in multiple hotels throughout CA it is a pleasure to recommend this hotel. I just read a review posted from last fall where they stated that the rooms were small,etc. Yes, much like hotels in Paris, this hotel room was small but more than adequate for our family of four that includes two teenagers. The hotel is very clean, quiet and the staff is very helpful. The breakfast is classic continental---pastries, coffee,tea & juice which was fine for our family. We highly recommend this hotel for your next stay in the beautiful city of San Francisco.

• Liked — clean, quiet and location
  • Disliked — can't think of anything
  • Stayed July 2007, traveled with family
1 Thank seadog4
Los Angeles
Reviewed November 13, 2006

The internet advertisements really made the place seem very classy, but the reality is not classy at all.
Our overall impression was one of cutting corners - cheapness, from the beds to the skimpy "breakfast buffet." The coffee very weak. We just abandoned their offering and went out to eat. But that is not all.
The rooms are so small you can barely turn around. You literally have to rotate in place to turn around. We got a two-bed suite for two adults and two children, and you could only see the TV from one of the beds. The beds are crammed in to the room so tightly, that two of the four people must crawl in at an uncomfortable angle against the wall.
The extremely hard, short beds were made with all top sheets, no fitted sheets, and the bottom sheets were short, not tucked in, so the bed was always messy and uncomfortable.
We had to ask for more towels & washcloths as the room was supplied with only two of each -- for a four-person room. It is a hassle to have to ask for more toilet paper when you are on the toilet and there is no spare roll in the cupboard! The tissue box in the room had only 5 tissues in it. We had to ask for more of those too.
The rooms have overhead fluorescent lights. This is not my idea of classy. It is harsh and glaring. We had to laugh when, after all this, the handles broke off the cupboards when we opened them.
Don't get an outside room on Grant or Broadway, as the partiers on the street will keep you up all night -- even with the windows closed.
The location was handy for dining, and for shopping on Grant Street in Chinatown. The parking under the building also handy, although I have never had to pay $20 extra per day for parking before.
The staff was very nice. No problems there. The elevators are very quiet and quick.
Would I recommend it? To a single traveller or a couple, the location convenience might outweigh anything else. To a famiy? No. We paid $160 per night with parking, and there are definitely better deals to be had in San Francisco.

• Liked — Nice Staff, Central Location
  • Disliked — Cheaply furnished Room
  • Tips/Secrets — Get an inside room. Outside is noisy.
  • Stayed November 2006, traveled with family
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1 Thank YucaipaFamily

Travelers are raving about these San Francisco hotels

Churchville, MD
Reviewed November 6, 2006

We stayed at the SW recently. The hotel is located right on the edge of China Town. The hotel staff were helpful and friendly. The rooms were a little small but comfortable and very clean. The complimentary breakfast was as other reviews have said, not very extensive. We liked being able to stay in the heart of San Francisco at a place with reasonable rates for room and parking. Ask about their "Go San Francisco" package. It was a good deal.

• Stayed November 2006
Montreal
Reviewed November 2, 2006

At 119USD a night for a queen bed it's a very good deal! The location in Chinatown is very convenient as you can walk to Fisherman's Wharf, Downtown and Financial District in 15-20 minutes. The rooms are clean, and most of all it's very quiet at night so you can sleep very well. The only downside is the breakfast they serve next to the lobby as it is very light and is a painful experience when it's very crowded. A door to door shuttle to the airport will cost you 15$. You can buy prepaid internet access for 7$ per hour. People at the reception are nice and helpful. I recommend it.

• Stayed October 2006
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
Bay Area, California
Reviewed October 15, 2006

My friends and I chose to stay at the SW Hotel for its location and clean appearance. Over the course of our one night stay we found that we had been fooled. Upon checking into our room, there was not a single bar of soap, lotion, shampoo, or box of tissues to be found. When we complained to the front desk about this, they merely said we should have opened the mirrored cabinet on the wall. I didn't know washing your hands was supposed to be an investigative activity. Worst of all, as I climbed into bed at 1:00 in the morning, I flicked a small bug off my comforter. Tired, I thought nothing of it and went to sleep. The next day, I was itching like I had the chicken pox. I found huge bug bites all over my body, which continued to show up for days afterward. I called the hotel to notify them of their bed bug problem, and all they could say was "sorry, we'll let the general manager know." They did not offer any kind of compensation for my troubles. Needless to say, my bug bites are still not healed, and I had to wash everything that came in contact with my suitcase. I will NEVER, EVER, stay at the SW Hotel again!

• Stayed October 2006, traveled with friends
5 Thank jmo4682
A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed July 6, 2006

My wife and I stayed at the SW Hotel(Which stands for Sam Wong the owner of the hotel) for an overnight excursion in San Franscisco on July 2nd. What we wanted in our hotel was that it was in a central location where we could walk to many of the main attactions, where nightlife and great restaurants where next door, that it was affordable, clean, comfortable, and had cheap unlimited in and out priviledge parking. Based on other user's reviews that we read, the SW seemed to fit the our specifications. The SW Hotel is definitely all of these! Located on the border of Chinatown and Little Italy: Fisherman's Warf, Coit Tower, Lombard Street, The Transamerica Building, and the Hyde and Powell Cable Car line are all within walking distance. The staff was friendly, our room was very clean, comfortable, and spacious. It also had free wireless internet access and unlimited daily in and out access to their own private garage which has a cheap fee of $20 a day compared to $30 in most places. Based on other's reviews the rooms on the street side of the hotel tend to be noisy because of the busy intersection this hotel is located at.(Broadway and Grant) The concierge automatically recommended the rooms towards the back of the hotel before I could even request for them. Even though our room's window had a view of another room window, our room was indeed quiet and we had a good night's rest after a full day of sight seeing. If you are looking for no-frills and a comfortable night's rest, the SW is for you. We are definitely staying at this hotel on our next San Franscisco trip.

• Stayed July 2006