“Great Location”
Review of SW Hotel

SW Hotel
Ranked #128 of 230 Hotels in San Francisco
Reviewed March 21, 2006

Stayed at the SW hotel for three nights in March 2006. The hotel is well situated between the very authentic and busy Chinatown and the fine Italian restaurants of North beach.
The Hotel appeared to be deserted the entire time, I think we only saw one other guest. Looks like it has been recently remodeled to a good standard. Some nice Chinese style furniture and decor. Our room was a little small and had a horrible "view" but was clean and practical. My wife and I enjoyed the short walk down to Fisherman's Wharf and the surrounding areas. The eatery choices were quite excellent. Parking was interesting. The one way in lot underneath the hotel was a real problem getting into. The most bizaare parking lot I have ever seen.
Overall I give the hotel 3/5. You pretty much get what you pay for.

• Stayed: March 2006
3  Thank Jammos

Reviewed November 21, 2005

My wife and I stay at the SW on the recommendation of the wedding party we were attending. It was a bit difficult to find the first night since it was a busy Friday evening. Lots of 1 way streets and road closures that night that it took awhile to find a detour to the location. Also very easy to miss the parking entrance to the hotel. Room were average size but comfortable and clean. Hotel location is the biggest plus. Your are located in on the main strip of Chinatown. Walk down Grant to get the full experience. And in about 15-20 minutes, you'll hit Union Station. Lots a little places to eat too. Dim Sum is a must have. Stay away from the restaurant right across the street on the corner. Can't remember the name but it is a Chinese place across from the SW. Tourist trap. A bit pricey for Chinese food with very little portions. Stick with the small joints for great authentic, cheap eats. Oh ya... back to the SW. Staff is friendly and helpful. They printed out a Southwest boarding pass without making me pay for the pre-paid internet kiosk in the lobby (which by the way has NO printer). The cleaning staff was very, very nice. Remember to tip. They are very(x10) appreciative of it. Breakfast is toast, bagels, etc. Nothing fancy enough for a light breakfast. Like I suggest, try the Dim Sum (I recommend You's Dim Sum right next to the SW. Also, may have been a fluke but early Sunday morning at 6AM we had a false fire alarm and had to evacuate the building. Again, probably a fluke but what a wake up call. We would definitely stay there again with the wife.

• Stayed: November 2005
4  Thank ChavSanti
Reviewed November 18, 2005

This is a four story hotel. We rented a double. When we got to the hotel, it was about 1:00pm and checkin was at 3:00pm. We were checked in right away and given a key to our room. The room was at the front of the hotel.

The room at the front of the hotel was quite small and since it was adjacent to the street the noise level was high. It had a shower but no bathtub. Since I am familiar with the area I expected the noise. So, I turned around and went down and asked for a room at the back. (I probably should've just specified it at checkin time.) They gave us a room at the back with no questions.

The rooms in the back have windows but there is only a small space between the hotel and a brick wall in the next building. (2-3 feet?) So, don't expect a view there. However, it was quiet and peaceful there. Also the room was larger and there was a full bathtub. There was also a desk suitable for working at.

The shower was okay, but the water pressure was a little bit low and the water seemed to get colder during my admittedly long showering. We didn't try the free continental breakfast. Despite reading someplace on the internet that checkout was at noon, it was at 11:00am.

On our final day, we left our bags at the front desk while we went around in Chinatown. Then we came back later and picked up our bags.

The location of this hotel was superb for our purposes. The staff was professional and efficient. I would definitely consider staying here again in the future. However, next time I will get a queen. For only ten dollars more, it's worth it.

• Stayed: November 2005
6  Thank Andrew Bachmann
A TripAdvisor Member
Michigan
Reviewed November 9, 2005

Fun location on the edge of Chinatown with lots of great resturants in walking distance. The room was very clean but small. The "complimentary breakfast buffet" was less than I exspected. Only inexspensive bread products with one two slice toaster. The staff told me it was a buffet because you could eat all you wanted.

Stayed: October 2005
2  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed October 16, 2005

The SW Hotel (named after Sam Wong) is in a terrific location, right between Chinatown and North Beach. If you are going for a weekend, be sure to get the 333 deal -- $333 for 2 nights, including tax, parking and a Go San Francisco pass good for admission to various museums and such. A very good deal in The City, especially given the location.
Our first night was very quiet because we had a room that looked out on the interior air shaft. As others have said, the rooms are small, the walls are thin and the mattesses very firm. We could hear the enthusiastic couple next door the second night (but just for a little while, as it turned out.)
The interior rooms may be quieter than those fronting on the streets, since Broadway and Grant are both very busy and the hotel is only four stories high.
The continental breakfast was really not much...bread, half-bagels and palmiers. We headed to the Ferry Building where there is a fabulous farmer's market on Saturday and Sunday with incredible things to eat.
It is an easy walk to either North Beach or Chinatown (and don't miss the City Lights bookstore a block away). We ate at Citizen Thai at the corner of Grant and Vallejo (just a few blocks away) the first night. A terrific spot and wonderful food. The second night we ate at El Raigon, a great Argentine restaurant on Union Street in North Beach (again, just a few blocks away.)

• Stayed: October 2005
8  Thank online101
Reviewed August 4, 2005

I had a last minute to trip to San Francisco on business. Unfortunately, it was almost impossible to find a room due to some big convention. I booked a room at the SW Hotel to give it a try. It is much much cheaper than the usual hotels I stay when in San Francisco.

My view of the hotel is that there was a little bit of a musty smell in the hallways. You could notice it in the room but not as bad. The rooms were clean but everything in the room was old (including linens and towels). The important point here is CLEAN. Bare bones....don't expect big puffy white towels and robes. However, for the money, I believe the hotel is a bargain.

Continental Breakfast wasn't much, but again, for the money, you can get breakfast elsewhere and still come out ahead.

Location is great if your are going to China Town or North Beach.....not as good for going to the Financial District.

• Stayed: July 2005, traveled on business
1  Thank bcooper367
Reviewed July 18, 2005

My husband and I just got back from our San Francisco vacation. We travel there quite often, but this was the first time we have stayed in the city itself. We only stayed at the SW hotel for 2 nights, then headed up to the wine country. My first night was AWFUL! You can hear every single noise that people around you make. And of course, I had someone upstairs who was up till after midnight and up again at 5:00 am. The rooms are small, so I'm really not sure what they were doing up there, but I had to buy ear plugs the next day, and slept better after that. I agree with someone above that the blinds let in too much light. So, bring a mask and ear plugs.
The bed itself was very hard, and we both were hurting the next day.
Continental breakfast consisted of bread. And being on Weight Watchers, I found it hard to find something to eat. We ended up shopping the nearby markets for fruit every morning. Parking was expensive, and very small, but it was better than fighting traffic in the city.
The biggest plus is location. The SW is in the heart of it all, and was within walking distance of everything we needed. The staff was very polite to us as well.

• Stayed: July 2005